2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they inform us about our position on the WL as well?
I don't think they do. This quote is from the 2023 cycle alternate list email (found in last year's thread):

"We anticipate withdrawals from our existing class over the next several months, with peak turnover of seats typically occurring in the April - May timeframe. It is at this time that candidates who hold multiple seats are asked to finalize their decisions. We do not give out any details on the rank of candidates on the Alternate List, but be assured we will notify you immediately when, and if, we are able to offer you an acceptance. Further, only those candidates with a reasonable chance of receiving a potential offer are invited to join the Alternate List. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat, you will be notified in late-July or earlier."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there are records of offering dates other than march 15th?
Went thru several of the past year threads. Honestly at this point they’ll just create the alternative list and start pulling from there.

Is the list ranked do you know?
It most likely is so that they can make decisions rather quickly over sifting through the pool each time a decision is made. Albeit that ranking is not disclosed

Is the list ranked do you know?
it is ranked. after the interview another main committee meets and they present ur application holistically (not just the interview, but also ECS/essays/stats/scores from pre-interview file). everyone in that meeting anonymously votes to assign you a score. the scores are all averaged to give u a final score.
they make a list of everyone who has interviewed from highest to lowest score. every acceptance date, they’ve pulled the top X number of people.
that’s why sending updates post-interview doesn’t do anything if it’s after the committee has already put you on hold, because your score has already been established and you’re already ranked according to it.

i assume the WL is the same way.

Reactions: 3 users
For a summary from last year's thread (for anyone as neurotic as myself and my own reference)
1. The email for the alternate list came out 3/22/2023 (this year, it seems we should expect it ~2 weeks later, the first week of April). It is unclear if they offered everyone on hold a spot on the waitlist, no one confirmed they were denied after being placed on hold. They will not inform you of your rank.

2. The first movement off the waitlist seemed to be ~4/25/2024 and continued for ~1 week. From there, they had 1-2 weeks of quiet followed by a week of acceptances. This pattern continued through the middle of June. There were certainly more acceptances sent after this, but not as many. Accepted applicants had interviewed from all over the cycle, they did not seem to give any preference to earlier interviews.

3. Some people sent an updated LOI(intent/interest), but most people who came off the waitlist had not sent one. One would assume it did not hurt, but it does not seem to help all that much.

4. It seems there is initially some IS movement, but towards the end of May it was mostly OOS. This is likely because they yield-protect to r/o kids that would get admitted to UVA, so a lot of admitted IS students will end up attending. Not to say there was not plenty of acceptances off the waitlist for IS students!

This obviously is subject to change, particularly as they have had a change in leadership. And a reminder that it is an accomplishment onto itself to be selected for an interview at VCU, IS or OOS! They have already determined on paper that you were qualified to attend their school and resonated with your writing :) Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Any insights from current students on deciding between this school and UVA? I am interested in a very competitive specialty, and cost would come out to be the same.

Any insights from current students on deciding between this school and UVA? I am interested in a very competitive specialty, and cost would come out to be the same.
Not a current student, but UVA seems to be a good deal more highly ranked (#30 vs. #64 based on the US News research ranking). Prestige and rankings aren't everything, but I personally would go to UVA over VCU if I were interested in a very competitive specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a current student, but UVA seems to be a good deal more highly ranked (#30 vs. #64 based on the US News research ranking). Prestige and rankings aren't everything, but I personally would go to UVA over VCU if I were interested in a very competitive specialty.
Just a fellow applicant but from what I've seen, the very competitive specialties (surgical sub-specialties, ROAD, etc.) seem to really emphasize research. I think UVA has more research funding/opportunities per their ranking (and from personal experience as a UVA alum) which might make it easier to attain the necessary research output.

Reactions: 2 users
Post Hold Rejection :( Its okay tho, but was wondering if VCU provides feedback in regards to your application.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Post Hold Rejection :( Its okay tho, but was wondering if VCU provides feedback in regards to your application.
Sorry to hear :(, by post hold you also mean post-interview hold right not pre-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow so they do give out post hold rejections? Even though the email says waitlisted or accepted

Interviewed in Feb, hold that next monday. Yea IDK but it seems N=1

I thought it was by far my best interview which confuses me

• Care
I thought it was by far my best interview which confuses me
I am sorry to hear this. Honestly this process seems pretty random at times, I am hoping you get in somewhere. Thank you for sharing

• Care
Last year, it seemed you could email medadmit and set up a meeting to review your application! I have a feeling they might send more information about this once the waitlist comes out. (of note: I am not sure how forthright they are, but it is nice they give this option)

• Care
So sorry to hear that <3 They do give out feedback. I was on the waitlist last year, so I had to wait until after July 1 to set up an appointment but they should be able to meet with you sooner. It was very helpful and I met with the admissions dean after emailing the advising contact!

So sorry to hear that <3 They do give out feedback. I was on the waitlist last year, so I had to wait until after July 1 to set up an appointment but they should be able to meet with you sooner. It was very helpful and I met with the admissions dean after emailing the advising contact!
Do you know if there is generally good waitlist movement here?

Do you know if there is generally good waitlist movement here?
I am only speaking from my experience so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I do think there is a good amount (especially for OOS and end of April-May) that varies a little year to year. I unfortunately did not get off the waitlist last year as IS but many did. I’m staying optimistic for a better outcome this year!

I am only speaking from my experience so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I do think there is a good amount (especially for OOS and end of April-May) that varies a little year to year. I unfortunately did not get off the waitlist last year as IS but many did. I’m staying optimistic for a better outcome this year!
really stinks that this school can't afford/support more IS, I and many other IS would be happy to go here among our option(s)

I’m sorry to hear this, hoping you hear good news from other schools. Do you mind if I ask are you IS or OOS?

Has anyone who has been accepted received their banner V# yet? They stated in the deposit email that it would take 1-2 weeks but it has been a lot longer than that for me.

Has anyone who has been accepted received their banner V# yet? They stated in the deposit email that it would take 1-2 weeks but it has been a lot longer than that for me.
I was accepted back in October and never received anything about my banner V#, so I'm guessing they'll send those out much later?

I was accepted back in October and never received anything about my banner V#, so I'm guessing they'll send those out much later?

You’ll find out later. They’ll be in communication regarding all of the orientation materials in a month or so I believe.

I was accepted off alt list may 13th a couple years back. interviewed in october. if you interviewed before november and you feel like you did well, dont give up yet.

Quite intrusive to ask if we're holding an A or not, I'm sure it will affect our admission decision.

They won't be able to see a specific person's admission status until April 30th
After which is when 95% of the waitlist movement will happen anyways lol. They will most likely be able to see the acceptances a candidate is holding should they decide to take them off the WL.

After which is when 95% of the waitlist movement will happen anyways lol. They will most likely be able to see the acceptances a candidate is holding should they decide to take them off the WL.
This is not a common practice to ask about acceptances.