2023-2024 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how strict they are with online courses? On their website, it says: At this time, online science lab courses do not meet our prerequisite requirements. However, in these instances, graded advanced courses in these areas are highly recommended.

My only options for all the o-chem courses were online, and I didn't take any extra courses in that department. I'm wondering if this will be an instant reject
I received an II even though many of my science courses (Biochem, Bio, and Orgo) were online due to COVID19.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m an M1 at VTC. Feel free to hit me with questions, and I’ll do my best to answer!
How would you describe the school's culture and core values? Does it want to be known for med students with research? with community health experience in Appalachia (vs. anywhere in the state or region)? with its small group-based curricula?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an OOS II! 3.9 514 complete 07/26

Last edited:
OOS ii, complete early august (I think?), LM low 60’s, ORM, non-trad, allergies: Apples, Pee stored in? Balls.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
How would you describe the school's culture and core values? Does it want to be known for med students with research? with community health experience in Appalachia (vs. anywhere in the state or region)? with its small group-based curricula?
The school's culture is unparalleled, in my opinion. We are a very tight-knit group, and the faculty is open, welcoming, and supportive. The core values revolve around community, patient-centered care, and scientific inquiry (literally they stick to the mission statement you would find on MSAR).

I don't know if VTC "wants to be known" for med students with research, but they are definitely proud of the work their medical students are doing and have gotten feedback from residency directors that it's really impressive work. Being an MD program with a robust research curriculum differentiates us from other programs.

I can't definitively comment on the community health experience here vs the rest of the state, but in my experience in Virginia (Hampton Roads area, NOVA, and Richmond), it seems like there is more opportunity to get experience in community health here. Roanoke has a large population of medically underserved people, and the Bradley Free Clinic provides great opportunities to get involved early in treating this community. I got to be involved in patient care literally during my first block.

The problem-based learning is my favorite part of being a student at VTC so far. I've had quite a broad range of educational experiences up to this point, and I think this is the environment in which I learn best, personally.

I hope I answered your questions comprehensively. Let me know if I missed anything!

Overall, attending VTC is the best decision I could have made for myself. There is so much opportunity for personal, academic, and professional growth here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get acceptances today? I thought they would do it on Tuesday…
Yes, they said they would do it on October 17 at the interview. Perhaps they just got started early! Fingers crossed.

Anxiously refreshing my inbox and voicemail while at work :oops: Interviewed in September, anyone heard anything back today?

I also got the A! I interviewed in August and got a call earlier today

Is the call coming from a virginia number, just don't want to miss it thanks!

Is the call coming from a virginia number, just don't want to miss it thanks!
it was a new york number! I actually missed the initial call and they left a message so no worries if you can't pick up for some reason

should we assume if we haven't gotten a call by now that it's an r or waitlist :'(

For those who have gotten accepted- have you gotten a follow up email or has your portal changed at all?

Anyone have an idea how likely it is to be admitted from the active status pool during the second round?

Got the A on Tuesday!!! Complete 8/10, II 8/24, Interviewed 9/23 (OOS, ORM, non-trad, LizzyM 68)

Reactions: 1 users
IS Pre-II R only Rs so far, no IIs yet 😞

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
pre-II R in my email. OOS, complete around 7/7, LM 74.5. my favorite ice cream flavor is mint chip

Pre-II R OOS submitted at the beginning of cycle, stats very similar to the rest of us rejected today, best of luck to you all!

OOS Pre-II R. 3.7/511 with 3000 hours of research and I thought I wrote really strong essays for their secondary. This one definitely stings - it is my 5th R with no II. Complete 7/26.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
OOS Pre-II R. 3.7/511 with 3000 hours of research and I thought I wrote really strong essays for their secondary. This one definitely stings - it is my 5th R with no II. Complete 7/26.
What is your clinical involvement?

IS pre-II R. LM 69, strong research background, had a quesadilla for dinner

• Love
What is your clinical involvement?
Def the weaker part of my app - 200 hours volunteering in OR and 100 hours shadowing. Feel like it is good enough and I wrote well enough about it tho because I have 5 DO II and multiple acceptances out of 9 DO’s applied to

Are updates accepted here? Or limited to pre/post-II?
On their applicant portal they offer a space to upload multiple different documents if you'd like to provide an update. I'm pretty sure it's there for everyone regardless if you have interviewed or not.

Any recent IIs?

I was told that they schedule their II batches to be 3 weeks to a month prior to each interview date. The next date is 01/06, so there should be a batch this week or the next.