2023-2024 Commonwealth (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrawing my A from here today šŸ„². After 2 very long cycles, 2 MCATs, several gap years, and a lot of self doubt, I will always be grateful Geisinger gave me my first ever A to medical school and the chance to become a physician. Hoping this spot goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send out post II R or is it just an inevitable deferred to waitlist to ghosted?

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance today. I was also awarded the Abigail Geisinger Scholarship. Hoping it goes to one of yall <3

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance today. I was also awarded the Abigail Geisinger Scholarship. Hoping it goes to one of yall <3
Thanks!!

Has anyone from 2/23 interview date received decisions? ( and do you think there are only alternate spots available at this time point ? )

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed back in December, got deferred to the next committee meeting in March, and still haven't heard anything since. Ended up withdrawing my application this week. Disappointing to say the least. I likely wouldn't have attended this school based on how my cycle ended up, but the lack of communication following the interview was shocking. From being told we'd hear back in 6-10 weeks that ended up being 13 weeks, which wasn't even a clear decision, and then to not hear back at all since then is insane. I can't imagine if I had been counting on this school.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed back in December, got deferred to the next committee meeting in March, and still haven't heard anything since. Ended up withdrawing my application this week. Disappointing to say the least. I likely wouldn't have attended this school based on how my cycle ended up, but the lack of communication following the interview was shocking. From being told we'd hear back in 6-10 weeks that ended up being 13 weeks, which wasn't even a clear decision, and then to not hear back at all since then is insane. I can't imagine if I had been counting on this school.
lol I got deferred after interview in October and havenā€™t heard anything since, also withdrawing

Interviewed in November, deferred in March, and counting on this school :/

Their website says they will let regular decision applicants know in April and consult the waitlist in May, has anyone even been put on a waitlist yet?

Fully agree. This was my first interview (back in September), and I was so excited! Sent them a LOI too... then got deferred in November, and it's been silent since then :(

Is a waitlist different than getting a deferred decision?
From what I saw in previous years, Deferred decision/later interviews either got accepted or placed on alternate list so it is different. I don't think there is an actual alternate list yet.

Is a waitlist different than getting a deferred decision?
"While waitlist offers are only contingent upon space remaining in the incoming class, deferred admission still allows you to be in the running before the admissions cycle is near its conclusion. A deferred applicant will be considered again before any reconsideration is provided to a waitlisted applicant. As such, being waitlisted at a school is worse than a deferral because the institution has decided not to admit you unless other applicants decline their admission offer and seats become available."
Source: Is it Better to be Waitlisted or Deferred?.

"While waitlist offers are only contingent upon space remaining in the incoming class, deferred admission still allows you to be in the running before the admissions cycle is near its conclusion. A deferred applicant will be considered again before any reconsideration is provided to a waitlisted applicant. As such, being waitlisted at a school is worse than a deferral because the institution has decided not to admit you unless other applicants decline their admission offer and seats become available."
Source: Is it Better to be Waitlisted or Deferred?.
This is really helpful, thanks

In last years cycle it sounds like they did A, WL/AL, or Deferrals. Unfortunately I dont know if anyone on this cycle has even been waitlisted/alternate listed yet... It sounds like after interviews, it was either A or deferral? So if we're all in the deferral boat idek what that means right now.

Correct me if I am wrong?

This is really helpful, thanks

In last years cycle it sounds like they did A, WL/AL, or Deferrals. Unfortunately I dont know if anyone on this cycle has even been waitlisted/alternate listed yet... It sounds like after interviews, it was either A or deferral? So if we're all in the deferral boat idek what that means right now.

Correct me if I am wrong?
i was literally thinking the same thing! i haven't seen anyone say they were WL/AL or rejected LOL idk if deferral is a soft rejection or likeee if there's actually hope lmao

Anyone post interview still havenā€™t heard anything from this school not even deferred? Because thatā€™s the boat Iā€™m in and I thought they had to give us a decision by yesterdayā€™s deadline.

Anyone post interview still havenā€™t heard anything from this school not even deferred? Because thatā€™s the boat Iā€™m in and I thought they had to give us a decision by yesterdayā€™s deadline.
2/19 interview here (10 weeks) and nothing from them.

Yesterday's deadline was for us as applocants to reduce our current acceptances down to one school. Today (May 1st), schools will have access to our selection and see which applicants they've accepted are actually going to their school.

Expect movement within this/next week because now they've got a clearer picture of how many spots they still need to fill.

January Interview -> April deferred -> alternate list just now. Pain.

alternate list too... is there any hope lol... wondering if ppl actually get off :(

• Care
interviewed october, deferred in january, alternate list now.. Geisinger has good movement w this list tho. Dont lose hope yall

• Hmm
Interviewed late February --> alternate list just now. Very happy to say that I will be declining. I was not impressed by this school in the slightest.

Interviewed January, deferred March, AL today :/

i just donā€™t understand why their process takes so longā€¦ im very lucky to have another option but if i was relying on geisinger it would be so stressful waiting to hear back for weeks

Also AL. Based on last year's thread, it looks like people were placed on AL as early as April and were admitted. Did we just get notified a lot later? Trying to figure out what a trend from AL to A looks like

interviewed october, deferred in january, alternate list now.. Geisinger has good movement w this list tho. Dont lose hope yall
Based off MSAR, the movement off the AL is horrible..

Hey everyone, is there a group chat for the Abigail scholars or people in the 3 year program?

OOS A at around 12 pm yesterday! Late February interview to AL.