2023-2024 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II! completed 9/28 and so excited!! This is my first MMI: is the MMI portion 1:1 with faculty and also open file?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS II! completed 9/28 and so excited!! This is my first MMI: is the MMI portion 1:1 with faculty and also open file?
Yes to the 1:1, yes to open file for the traditional interview

• Love
OOS II received yesterday! (It was in my junk folder oop) Completed 7/13. Flights be lookin $$ from where I am

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone talk about whether they think the welcome event the day before the interview is worth attending? I'm trying to find flights that will work with my work schedule and see if it is worth spending the extra money to get an earlier flight.

Can someone talk about whether they think the welcome event the day before the interview is worth attending? I'm trying to find flights that will work with my work schedule and see if it is worth spending the extra money to get an earlier flight.
If you can make it work, I would definitely try to go. It was the best opportunity to chat with students and it gave me a really nice picture of what the students and community is like. Definitely made me like the school even more.

If it doesn’t work out you can still talk with students and stuff the next day during lunch, but it’s not as big.

Got an II last week. Wondering if anyone knows why the school is ranked lower (80’s) despite the strong research background and insanely good match list? Is VTC not considered a mid-tier school?

Got an II last week. Wondering if anyone knows why the school is ranked lower (80’s) despite the strong research background and insanely good match list? Is VTC not considered a mid-tier school?

Any chance you have a link to their match list? I haven’t been able to find it

Mostly because it’s a new school so it doesn’t have the reputation yet, but yes you’re right the research, clinical rotations, and match list are all on par with upper middle tier schools

Absolutely it you can make it. Hugely helpful and really a great way to understand the school culture.

Reactions: 1 users

As others have said it’s only because it’s newer. Make no mistake, the faculty are very clear the mission is to be a top tier school and they definitely put their money where their mouth is as far as I could tell.

I’d say their lower ranking is an reflection of how illegitimate the rankings are rather than a reflection on the school.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
so much anxiety waiting to hear back from 10/21 interview. It's been a long wait -- and VTech is easily my first choice

if the trends are followed, I think oct/nov interview dates should be hearing back this week right?

Image 12-11-23 at 11.20 AM.jpg
I love that VTC’s lunch box order form “will be graded”

I just got the call. I’m going to be a doctor. I’m shaking.

Reactions: 7 users
I just got the call. I’m going to be a doctor. I’m shaking.

Congrats!!! What was the area code of the caller? Was it a VA code? Also is your first or last name high up in the alphabet? Sorry for being neurotic!

Congrats!!! What was the area code of the caller? Was it a VA code? Also is your first or last name high up in the alphabet? Sorry for being neurotic!
540 area code! (VA) and my first name starts with an A, last name G. I hope you get this call too, I don’t think I’ve ever been so exhilarated in my life

I’m holding out hope that they just haven’t gotten to 11/11 yet. Maybe false hope, but I haven’t received a WL or R email yet!

rejected, interviewed 11/11 rip :(

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
WL from 11/11 interview. Still love the school and mission and will absolutely be updating them.

I'm super excited but scared for my upcoming interview with this school. Does anyone have tips/resources on how to prepare for this school's MMI? I've done well enough on a virtual MMI (got the A from that school!), but I don't know how well I will do with the in-person format. Anything would help my anxiety surrounding this rn haha thanks in advance!

I'm super excited but scared for my upcoming interview with this school. Does anyone have tips/resources on how to prepare for this school's MMI? I've done well enough on a virtual MMI (got the A from that school!), but I don't know how well I will do with the in-person format. Anything would help my anxiety surrounding this rn haha thanks in advance!
My best advice is to be honest, genuine, and enjoy the process as much as you can. Also, don't feel the need to talk for 8 minutes straight--leave time for follow-up questions, natural conversation, etc. Good luck!!

OOS II on 1/2 - great way to start the new year! Glad I live within driving distance haha

Thanks! Does anyone know the number of people the school plans to interview?
From when I was at their welcome event, they said they planned to interview 300 people and accept roughly 100 people from that pool.