2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys they extensively waitlist to yield protect, especially IS. Strong IS applicants often go to UVA and they know that. If someone stays on WL, they have higher chances of acceptance after 1st May if they do not “Commit to Enroll”. Chances are even better for OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the time of the email indicate anything about the position of the waitlist? Or is it just based on last name/random?

Guys they extensively waitlist to yield protect, especially IS. Strong IS applicants often go to UVA and they know that. If someone stays on WL, they have higher chances of acceptance after 1st May if they do not “Commit to Enroll”. Chances are even better for OOS.
Why are chances better for OOS? Is it because OOS students often go to in-state school instead?

Is the form just choosing one of the three options? Or is there more to it/ more steps to take to confirm spot on alternate list? My tab was labeled waitlist response not form.
Nope, just choose an option that applies to your current situation and submit the form. There are no other additional steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you're an IS without any As. Asking for a friend who has so far only received this WL 😓
Get that letter of intent in ASAP. Start prepping a reapp while you're waiting and apply super early for the next cycle. You won't have to withdraw from the waitlist in June so hopefully you can get in with some movement during the summer

Does anyone know how the waitlist ranking system works? Or even how the committee accomplishes a point system when determining who gets accepted? Thanks!

Does anyone know how the waitlist ranking system works? Or even how the committee accomplishes a point system when determining who gets accepted? Thanks!
Probably the same way they ranked everybody for the admission dates, something along the lines of a total score that includes scores from GPA, MCAT, primary app, secondary app, extracurriculars, etc

Why are chances better for OOS? Is it because OOS students often go to in-state school instead?
There is more movement off the OOS waitlist compared to IS. They have a higher retention of accepted IS students since they yield protect (i.e. do not interview high MCAT scores as they likely will go to UVA), so for most IS students that they accept, VCU will be their best option unless they have a scholarship OOS. However, since they accept 50% of their class OOS, there is a lot of turnover in the OOS waitlist as those students are likely high achievers and will have gotten into other schools or IS schools.

Did anyone send an update letter after their interview and NOT get confirmation they received it? I sent it to the email in the powerpoint and uploaded it to the portal, but never got response from the email.

Did anyone send an update letter after their interview and NOT get confirmation they received it? I sent it to the email in the powerpoint and uploaded it to the portal, but never got response from the email.
Which email did you send it to specifically?

I never got any confirmation or response back after I emailed ot

anyone know if they accept update letter/letter of interest after being waitlisted

So what if the consensus on MSAR saying 75 of 100 got off the waitlist??
Doubt this is accurate. Was on the waitlist last year and it did not seem as though 75% of people got off it. Also remember seeing an Adcom on a thread a few years ago where they mentioned upwards of 200 people on the waist list or something to that effect.

Doubt this is accurate. Was on the waitlist last year and it did not seem as though 75% of people got off it. Also remember seeing an Adcom on a thread a few years ago where they mentioned upwards of 200 people on the waist list or something to that effect.
Wdym it did not seem as though 75% got off of it??

It’s harder to get in off the WL at VCU if you are a VA resident: chopped liver gives a good explanation as to why this is the case earlier in this thread. From what I have gathered looking through past threads, the number of people reported to get off the WL each year (75 or even a bit more) is generally fairly accurate, even though more than 100 people get waitlisted by VCU.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s harder to get in off the WL at VCU if you are a VA resident: chopped liver gives a good explanation as to why this is the case earlier in this thread. From what I have gathered looking through past threads, the number of people reported to get off the WL each year (75 or even a bit more) is generally fairly accurate, even though more than 100 people get waitlisted by VCU.
Yea, I would bet significantly more than 75 kids get invited OFF the waitlist--even closer to like 150--but a large percent of those OOS students turn it down and they continue to move down the list. Remember, you can only hold a seat at 3 schools but you can stay on as many waitlists as you want. VCU is an excellent school, but most OOS students likely have the option of an IS school for less than half the cost.
Admit.com apparent reports they gave out ~350 acceptances by the end of last cycle, which suggests they invited ~170 kids off the waitlist (I would assume a significant amount of those are filtering through OOS students). And I know for a fact that almost half of their last cohort came off the waitlist, ~80 students.

Reactions: 5 users
I got WL and filled out the form to be on the WL but I can’t see it on the Choose Your Medical School Tool. Is this the case for anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
I got WL and filled out the form to be on the WL but I can’t see it on the Choose Your Medical School Tool. Is this the case for anyone else?
I can’t see any of the schools I’m waitlisted at on the CYMS tool, so I don’t know if schools show up at all unless you have been accepted to them.

I can’t see any of the schools I’m waitlisted at on the CYMS tool, so I don’t know if schools show up at all unless you have been accepted to them.
I’m WL at another school and it’s showing up but VCU isn’t. Even if you’re on WL, the schools still should show up there.

I can't see it there either. In the email, it says applicants have 2 weeks to respond; we may have to just wait a little before they finalize their alternate list.

Anyone know how strict the 8 semester hr req is? At least for gen chem at my school, since we’re on the quarter system my whole gen chem series (gen chem 1, 2, and lab) converts to ~7.4 sem hrs. There’s also no extra gen chem course I’d be able to take for credit since my series covered it - would this rescind my A?

Anyone know how strict the 8 semester hr req is? At least for gen chem at my school, since we’re on the quarter system my whole gen chem series (gen chem 1, 2, and lab) converts to ~7.4 sem hrs. There’s also no extra gen chem course I’d be able to take for credit since my series covered it - would this rescind my A?
if you even got an interview you have met the academic requirements for admission, they are not going to rescind you over half a credit hour lmao pls

if you even got an interview you have met the academic requirements for admission, they are not going to rescind you over half a credit hour lmao pls
Actually I thought the same, but for another school I was accepted they came back saying I may not have met XYZ credit requirement. So to be fair, some schools may do a check later on!

Actually I thought the same, but for another school I was accepted they came back saying I may not have met XYZ credit requirement. So to be fair, some schools may do a check later on!
Huh that's wild, it's always before matriculation though so absolute worst case they won't rescind your acceptance, you might just have to take a random 1 credit class somewhere over the summer or something. You should most likely be fine though

Reactions: 1 users
For those of us that are still on waitlist,
MSAR updated for schools,
It says
Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Varies by year
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
75”
Prior to the new MSAR stats, it said 100 typical number of waitlist positions, correct?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Is the waitlist not showing up on CYMS for anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users