2023-2024 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a med student too, so 3. But the med student is kind of like a support to you if that makes sense, lol. I found their presence to be quite comforting

Wait what? I didn’t have a med student on mine lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been any movement off the pre-II hold list? Wondering if an update letter would help.

Do they tell you who your interviewer is prior to the start of the faculty interview?

Do they tell you who your interviewer is prior to the start of the faculty interview?
Yeah, they usually provide a bio for the interviewer(s) as well. One of mine didn’t have one so I just social media stalked them

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone from the 12/14 interview group heard back anything yet today? They said to expect to hear back 12/20

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted to class of 2028 today.

OOS waitlisted yesterday. Are most OOS applicants WL post-interview initially?

It's very odd to me that they start pulling from the wait-list before finishing interviews for the cycle. What does that mean for people who haven't interviewed yet? We are basically interviewing to fill up the wait-list?

Reactions: 1 users
It's very odd to me that they start pulling from the wait-list before finishing interviews for the cycle. What does that mean for people who haven't interviewed yet? We are basically interviewing to fill up the wait-list?
Also very curious about that...

What about the people on the WL for the interview 😂 just screwed

Not sure if this is how WV does it but I know some schools that rank all post-II candidates into a list then accept the top X percentile and WL the rest, then overtime lower the threshold so more are accepted. This might explain the sudden WL movement. If that’s how it works though you could interview later and score high and automatically reach the cutoff for an A rather than interviewing for a WL spot!

Med schools don’t need to accept a full class size of students until 03/15 so I doubt they are done.

Not sure if this is how WV does it but I know some schools that rank all post-II candidates into a list then accept the top X percentile and WL the rest, then overtime lower the threshold so more are accepted. This might explain the sudden WL movement. If that’s how it works though you could interview later and score high and automatically reach the cutoff for an A rather than interviewing for a WL spot!

Med schools don’t need to accept a full class size of students until 03/15 so I doubt they are done.
This is what I think too. Adcom know how many interviews are left vs how many spots are left in the class. Plus they’ve already received and reviewed all the applications that they are going to consider for this year. I think I’ve read or been told ~50% of the class is off the WL and a lot of that will come after interviews conclude in Feb ‘24. Plus I think we have until some time in April to finalize our selections as a student for what med school to attend. There’s still a lot of time for things to play out!

Not them including ways to improve my application:,)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
What did they mention 😭 Specifics or just general stuff?
It’s general but still damn.
If you would like to reapply, potential ways to improve your application are listed below:

- Consider adding hours to your mission-based activities - paying special attention to patient care, education/leadership activities, research, and service. If your GPA or MCAT score are below WVU SoM’s average, consider retaking the MCAT or additional coursework.

It’s general but still damn.
If you would like to reapply, potential ways to improve your application are listed below:

- Consider adding hours to your mission-based activities - paying special attention to patient care, education/leadership activities, research, and service. If your GPA or MCAT score are below WVU SoM’s average, consider retaking the MCAT or additional coursework.
Yeah. Sounds like something everyone got. I’m sorry to hear that though. Wishing you the best for the rest of the cycle.

Got an unmarked scholarship from the WVUSOM. Posting if anyone else wants reference of timing (since I hear these things are pretty rate..)

Value of scholarship is about <5% and does not come close to competing with an instate alternative.

OOS

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Didn’t they send a continued interest email last year to people on the interview waitlist? Anyone know if they are doing that this year?

Got an unmarked scholarship from the WVUSOM. Posting if anyone else wants reference of timing (since I hear these things are pretty rate..)

Value of scholarship is about <5% and does not come close to competing with an instate alternative.

OOS
Wait, they’re sending scholarships out rn? Like financial aid packages?

Random question … anyone know where we get our books or how to find out what books are required? I can’t find it on their bookstore website. I”d like to see the books to get an idea of what this first year is going to be like.

Random question … anyone know where we get our books or how to find out what books are required? I can’t find it on their bookstore website. I”d like to see the books to get an idea of what this first year is going to be like.
It may get released when the student portal opens in February?

Are ii's still happening? I was put on the pre-ii waitlist don't really know what that entails..