2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty much everyone who interviews gets that message. It means you will be either accepted at one of the decision days or waitlisted on/after March 15
oh what a scary email, thank you tho

Members don't see this ad.

They literally emphasize like 100 times that the majority of people get a hold...

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold received - Interviewed last wednesday 2/14. Hope this is a good sign :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Y'all hope you are doing well.

I just interviewed for VCU this last week, and got an email today saying I was placed on hold pending a potential future offer of admission. What does that mean?
for the MMi, do you have the two min to read/prep for each question before "entering" the Zoom room where the admissions member is? or do you enter the room with them and then they ask you the question? and are there breaks between each question/station?

Last edited:
for the MMi, do you have the two min to read/prep for each question before "entering" the Zoom room where the admissions member is? or do you enter the room with them and then they ask you the question? and are there breaks between each question/station?
the mmi is very chill, it's like any other school, there is 1 rest station. It's very chill and they do a meditation thing before you start

Has the school finished sending out II?
No way to know for sure. But realistically speaking, it is certainly at the tail end, if not already completed. Unlikely to have one off IIs at this point.

OOS II complete late August. Interview dates in early March available, so hopefully there will be some more invites to come for those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an OOS II around 4:10ish today for interview dates the first week of March

Were they just 4-7 or were there any dates for the week of 11th March too? Also did anyone IS get an interview today?

On the schools website it says the last acceptance date is March 1, although I do remember it saying March 15 a while ago. Can anyone confirm which is the accurate date?

On the schools website it says the last acceptance date is March 1, although I do remember it saying March 15 a while ago. Can anyone confirm which is the accurate date?
Yeah I noticed this discrepancy too. It is March 15 per their email on 1/5/24

if im not allowed to ask this pls ignore but for the mmi should i be preparing for acting scenarios? ive been trying to but its a little tough

Does anyone know if there is an accepted students Facebook group?
Current student here. Yes there is! Send a request to join and send a copy of your acceptance to the admin in the group. We have a groupme too (linked on the Facebook page). If anyone has any questions, about anything, Im a current M1 and always happy to help. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

if im not allowed to ask this pls ignore but for the mmi should i be preparing for acting scenarios? ive been trying to but its a little tough
No acting scenarios.

does anyone know how vcu feels about getting a letter of interest or letter of intent post II? do they view it in a positive way or is it just a waste of time

does anyone know how vcu feels about getting a letter of interest or letter of intent post II? do they view it in a positive way or is it just a waste of time
would also love to know this. also they said they accepted updates on papers or grades. Would it be fine to update them only on one paper that I got published and 2 other that I submitted, but not grades?

would also love to know this. also they said they accepted updates on papers or grades. Would it be fine to update them only on one paper that I got published and 2 other that I submitted, but not grades?
At this point, can't hurt to send it. Be brief and direct. Would update on just the published manuscript. No sense in mentioning submissions until they turn around to publications. You can elaborate on how active you are in research. The timing of the letter is of more importance. If you already got the "hold" mail, it's likely they've already ranked you and won't look at your file until and if you end up on the WL. If that's the case, I would time your letter around the time you get the official WL notice, post-March 15. If they re-review your file for considerations off the WL, that will be when the letter has the highest chance of having any impact. It may have no impact since VCU uses ranking system. But if there's even a sliver of chance, that would be the way to do it.

At this point, can't hurt to send it. Be brief and direct. Would update on just the published manuscript. No sense in mentioning submissions until they turn around to publications. You can elaborate on how active you are in research. The timing of the letter is of more importance. If you already got the "hold" mail, it's likely they've already ranked you and won't look at your file until and if you end up on the WL. If that's the case, I would time your letter around the time you get the official WL notice, post-March 15. If they re-review your file for considerations off the WL, that will be when the letter has the highest chance of having any impact. It may have no impact since VCU uses ranking system. But if there's even a sliver of chance, that would be the way to do it.
I interviewed last week, and they are reviewing my file tomorrow. Should I send the LOI before tomorrow morning?

I still haven't heard anything since submitting my application in July. Is the school done sending II?

Can anyone who has interviewed recently share the timeline they provided for hearing back? I was hoping to make my final decision but just got this interview and I’m IS and v interested

Can anyone who has interviewed recently share the timeline they provided for hearing back? I was hoping to make my final decision but just got this interview and I’m IS and v interested
you'll hear back march 15th if you interview before then

Why VCU hasn't yet sent me the pre-II rejection or II. What could be the reason???

Reactions: 3 users
Why VCU hasn't yet sent me the pre-II rejection or II. What could be the reason???
VCU will be conducting interviews until mid-March. If you haven’t received an II by then, you will probably receive an R in a mass wave in the days following the conclusion of their interview season. I know firsthand how much it sucks to receive radio silence from schools for months, but unfortunately, that’s how the app cycle is for thousands of applicants every year. You could try sending them an update letter, although I’ve heard conflicting opinions as to if VCU accepts them pre-II. Hang in there, friend.

They were still sending interview invitations as of 2 weeks ago, maybe you're still under review.
Have you sent them any updates since applying?
No, I thought they didn't accept pre-II updates.

I think so! They said March 15th will be the last round of decisions and anyone who hasn't heard back by then is placed on the waitlist. There's a lot of waitlist movement, though.

Anyone know if they send out R's to people on hold before making the waitlist?
I'm not totally sure but I thought they don't do post-hold Rs? Like I was under the impression that if you got the hold email that means you're guaranteed to receive an acceptance or waitlist spot by 3/15, otherwise they'll reject you after the interview/selection committee meeting without putting you on hold. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'm not totally sure but I thought they don't do post-hold Rs? Like I was under the impression that if you got the hold email that means you're guaranteed to receive an acceptance or waitlist spot by 3/15, otherwise they'll reject you after the interview/selection committee meeting without putting you on hold. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Yeah I was under that impression as well, I just don't think I've seen or heard of a single person being a post II R instead of hold.

Anyone know if they send out R's to people on hold before making the waitlist?
I’ve been wondering this same thing. I went through several of the threads from years past and all I could find was that the idea of a post hold R was fiercely debated. Some people said it happens occasionally while others denied it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was under that impression as well, I just don't think I've seen or heard of a single person being a post II R instead of hold.
Could be a reporting bias thing - people might be less likely to report the post-II R / the people getting post-II R's aren't posting on SDN. Guess we'll see in a couple weeks if someone reports one

Could be a reporting bias thing - people might be less likely to report the post-II R / the people getting post-II R's aren't posting on SDN. Guess we'll see in a couple weeks if someone reports one
It makes sense for everyone who gets a hold to at least make the WL though, especially at a school like VCU that does a ranked waitlist. Why would someone so far down the list that they couldn’t even make the cut for the WL be put on hold for a potential A rather than just being rejected shortly after the interview? Maybe I’m just coping lol.

It makes sense for everyone who gets a hold to at least make the WL though, especially at a school like VCU that does a ranked waitlist. Why would someone so far down the list that they couldn’t even make the cut for the WL be put on hold for a potential A rather than just being rejected shortly after the interview? Maybe I’m just coping lol.
I agree with you - they'd probably just reject them. The email explicitly says "Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March." with no mention of the possibility for a rejection after the hold. Hoping (and believing) that we'll all get either As or WLs on 3/15.