2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current student at VCU SOM. Word of advice: ultimately VCU is looking for students who are "kind and smart". You probably have the latter, but the former is where people get weeded out. Just don't be a weirdo during your interviews.
Hear hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats :)!! Quick question, what’s the earliest interview dates? Are they a week or two out, and are some on Monday or Friday? Thanks!
Thank you! The earliest was late Oct but they had dates in Nov too. The calendar is gone now that I've scheduled, but the ones in Oct were Tues/Wed

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! When did you submit your secondary?

Anyone who's already done the interview know whether the traditional interview part is also completely blinded?

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s just not true
But yes the beginning is closed file
Wait what? LMAO I interviewed a few weeks ago and it was purely closed-file MMI for me. Part of it was telling me a bit about myself and why medicine but there was nothing open-file/traditional style for me unless I'm trippin

Wait what? LMAO I interviewed a few weeks ago and it was purely closed-file MMI for me. Part of it was telling me a bit about myself and why medicine but there was nothing open-file/traditional style for me unless I'm trippin
Yeah the beginning part is the short traditional portion. Quoting their email “The first question is a traditional-style interview question and will be asked by all of the interviewers. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and prepare your thoughts and 12 minutes for interaction with an interviewer”

Reactions: 1 users
Did each station ask about yourself and then a MMI question? Or just the first one asked about yourself? Sorry I'm a bit confused by the information they gave in the email

Did each station ask about yourself and then a MMI question? Or just the first one asked about yourself? Sorry I'm a bit confused by the information they gave in the email
There are 7 or so total questions. They give you 2 minutes to read the question and think about/formulate your answer. The first question is traditional-style and you have 12 minutes to answer (but the interviewer has not read your file, they don't know anything about you). The rest are MMI style and you have 6 minutes to answer. They will ask follow up questions and allow you to respond until the time is up. The whole interview is entirely closed file.

Placed on hold after 9/26 interview!

I wonder if anyone has any numbers on how many people they put on hold versus outright reject?

Placed on hold after 9/26 interview!

I wonder if anyone has any numbers on how many people they put on hold versus outright reject?
This is shrouded in mystery. By sdn reports, almost everyone gets on hold. It really just means they reviewed and voted on you since the interview. You may or may not get the A on one of the four release dates. If they pass on you on all four dates, then you get on WL at the end of the cycle around May 1.

I interviewed 9/11 and had no traditional interview questions at all. All of my questions were the same time-length and MMI-style prompts. Did mine glitch or was the traditional interview question added for later interviewers? I was kind of bummed during mine that there were no personal questions to talk about who I am as a person, especially because this school has no written secondary essays to highlight personal character.
This ain’t it

I interviewed 9/11 and had no traditional interview questions at all. All of my questions were the same time-length and MMI-style prompts. Did mine glitch or was the traditional interview question added for later interviewers? I was kind of bummed during mine that there were no personal questions to talk about who I am as a person, especially because this school has no written secondary essays to highlight personal character.
I interviewed this week as well and I'm not sure if you're maybe misinterpreting/weren't keeping track of time. The first question they ask is a "traditional" style question, as in it is asking about us and not giving us a scenario. It is not the same length as every other following question

Are you talking about a diff school? I don't recall 9/11 being one of the available interview dates and there were secondary qs that asked about personal character

Was today the last interview day before the 16th? Or is there another one coming up next week- anyone remember or have one?

Complete since 7/15. Wondering if no news is good for now.

OOS rejected on 10/5, complete on 9/5

MD/PhD II - 10/6 - fair warning: they expect a 1 business day turnaround for the II date confirmation; it is somewhat hard when you have to ask for PTO from the lab to get off for interviews.....

in state, submitted secondaries on 7/23, still haven’t heard anything
I submitted the secondary on 7/25 and have yet to hear back. I noticed that some people who submitted it in September have already heard back. Is it true that no news is good news in this situation?

I submitted the secondary on 7/25 and have yet to hear back. I noticed that some people who submitted it in September have already heard back. Is it true that no news is good news in this situation?
i think so! vcu has already started sending out rejections so i would assume that no news is good news :)

i think so! vcu has already started sending out rejections so i would assume that no news is good news :)
Thanks! Why hasn't the school sent out the II or rejections to those people yet? What exactly is the school waiting for? We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks! Why hasn't the school sent out the II or rejections to those people yet? What exactly is the school waiting for? We'll keep our fingers crossed!
As someone also still on complete my hopeful guess is staggered interview invites? Or we’re in a pile for re-review. Either way no news is good at the moment!

I submitted same day and am still waiting. Fingers crossed for us it’s only good news from here

The interview day presentation said the first day acceptances were going out was the 16th, but the hold email said 17th.

I went ahead and called VCU admissions and they confirmed that the first date will be the 16th. GL everyone 😅

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
The interview day presentation said the first day acceptances were going out was the 16th, but the hold email said 17th.

I went ahead and called VCU admissions and they confirmed that the first date will be the 16th. GL everyone 😅
Gonna be screaming crying throwing up

• Wow
Bruh chill at least you have completed an II right now.
Aye sorry y’all I didn’t know we couldn’t be nervous. That’s my bad, super sorry will never do it again 🤞🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users