2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys using question 2 as an adversity essay?
I'm thinking about an adversity essay for this, yes. Should this be a non-academic essay though or can we talk about overcoming academic struggles?

Members don't see this ad.

4. Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades.
Do you think this includes poor MCAT subscore? 124 CARS...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone having an issue with their quarter system credits not summing up correctly? my 2 quarters of o chem + o chem lab only sum up to 7.4 semester credits while they require 8...

It sucks for sure, but at the same time, you have to respect VCU for not stringing us applicants along.
They could've just screened him before Lol. He said he had minimal clinical (250) and they insta rejected him after getting the money from his secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble uploading the residency file tho? Mine says page complete but when I click on view file it says no document found

Members don't see this ad :)
Same CARS score here lol and was wondering the same. I was personally thinking to include it briefly. It kind of like a poor grade.
I would not, unless your overall MCAT is also much below their median or mean. Subsection score unevenness won't be an issue if the overall score is within their range or above a 510ish. The point is to not shine light onto details that didn't need to be illuminated.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not, unless your overall MCAT is also much below their median or mean. Subsection score unevenness won't be an issue if the overall score is within their range or above a 510ish. The point is to not shine light onto details that didn't need to be illuminated.
Thanks that is a good point

For the "lapses in undergraduate education" question, should I be writing about the class I dropped?? (For reference it was a 1-hour credit biochem lab that I retook later)

For the "lapses in undergraduate education" question, should I be writing about the class I dropped?? (For reference it was a 1-hour credit biochem lab that I retook later)
It means if you took a semester or more away from your college degree & why

Just got a rejection email post-secondary. Best of luck friends 🤝🏽

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Ugh, I'm sorry, this process is so rough. Did it say "under review" before?
It's all good, was a bit of a reach school tbh. The last email before the R was the "Application complete" email.

bro what.....Do you guys have any idea why you think you got one so early? I submitted the 5th as well and I'm currently ****ting my pants.
Hmm, maybe they're screening the lower MCATs out cause mine isn't that great because of my cars score lol.

fwiw my MCAT is > 515
I'm sorry OP. I guess you never know what each school is looking for. Are you a VA resident? If not, did you apply to your state MD schools and other lower tier MD? Best of luck to you! As a fellow applicant with a 515 MCAT, I'm rooting for you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry OP. I guess you never know what each school is looking for. Are you a VA resident? If not, did you apply to your state MD schools and other lower tier MD? Best of luck to you! As a fellow applicant with a 515 MCAT, I'm rooting for you!
Thank you for the well wishes, I'm rooting for you as well! I'm OOS with no ties - however based on the MSAR data thought it would be a reasonable app.

• Care
I wonder if they're using CASPer scores to send rejections so early.

Also just got the post-secondary R. OOS with light ties (spouse grew up there until they were 14), LM 75. Clinical experience is 400 hours at residential treatment center + 20hrs hospice volunteering, that might have been what they wanted more of? Idk. Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
Also just got the post-secondary R. OOS with light ties (spouse grew up there until they were 14), LM 75. Clinical experience is 400 hours at residential treatment center + 20hrs hospice volunteering, that might have been what they wanted more of? Idk. Best of luck to everyone!
Ugh that's frustrating, sending you positive vibes for an A elsewhere! Were you marked as "under review" before you got the email?

Ugh that's frustrating, sending you positive vibes for an A elsewhere! Were you marked as "under review" before you got the email?

@Bellabijou10 No, just the "application complete" email after submitting their secondary, I was complete 7/6. And thanks haha, likewise!

For the prerequisite section, should I put only the minimum courses that fulfill the requirements or should I put all courses that fulfill the prereqs? For ex, should I include ALL the bio classes I took?

If I took a chem course that fulfilled my writing requirement, should I reach out to admissions before or after submitting to request a substitution?

Quick question y'all - do we need to verify in-state status somehow? I've been seeing messages about a residency page but that doesn't show for me. I'm VA in-state but haven't lived there for a while.

Quick question y'all - do we need to verify in-state status somehow? I've been seeing messages about a residency page but that doesn't show for me. I'm VA in-state but haven't lived there for a while.
I believe we do not have to show proof until accepted for tuition purposes, they just go off the state on your AMCAS. Correct me if I'm wrong though