2023-2024 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MATCHED LETS GOOOOOOO

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hey I never post on here but I've been lurking.

Matched with Lubbock this morning. LM70. URM. Rough background and crazy stories.

Anyone know if there's a GroupMe or is it too early for all that?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I never post on here but I've been lurking.

Matched with Lubbock this morning. LM70. URM. Rough background and crazy stories.

Anyone know if there's a GroupMe or is it too early for all that?
There should be information on a class Facebook page and Discord emailed to you relatively soon.

Reactions: 1 user
dumb question but are classes mandatory and are they in person? I have been trying to google this but I can’t find it anywhere!!

Last edited:
dumb question but are classes mandatary and are they in person? I have been trying to google this but I can’t find it anywhere!!
There are some things each week that are required, but the vast majority of lectures are optional to attend. They record them for you.

could someone post when they get an acceptance email? congratulations everyone!

8:15AM for me as well. Also got the TMDSAS Transcript Request at 12:16AM but I heard this is not very reliable for predicting if you match in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is R or WL the only option for OOS?
You could get an A, but I don't they would accept right now. I'm guessing there will be several OOS As after a WL. This is purely speculation based on personal experience.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about how long it takes for lubbock to tell you if you are on the waitlist? I remember reading somewhere that Lubbock is selective with their waitlist rather than just having everyone that interviewed/didn't match on it.
Also if I were to write a letter of interest/intent, would it be better to just send now or wait until (hopefully) I get actually put on the waitlist?

Does anyone know about how long it takes for lubbock to tell you if you are on the waitlist? I remember reading somewhere that Lubbock is selective with their waitlist rather than just having everyone that interviewed/didn't match on it.
Also if I were to write a letter of interest/intent, would it be better to just send now or wait until (hopefully) I get actually put on the waitlist?
Give it a week or two

Did you match in any other school?

2020-2021 had a Match Day of March 5th and there was an OOS acceptance on 3/12 and the WL. (Thread)
2021-2022 had a Match Day of March 4th and there were WL and rejections sent on 3/15. (Thread) The first post-match acceptance I saw was 5/17, but that was not necessarily the first one (just the first reported on SDN).
2022-2023 had a Match Day of 3/3 and the WL/post-II Rs came out on 3/10. There was a post-WL acceptance in mid-April. (Thread)

So the biggest difference between this cycle and the last three cycles is that Match Day was moved up ~3 weeks. If previous cycle trends continue, a waitlist email and post-II rejections should be sent out within about a week. The good news is the TTUHSC has historically been pretty selective with the WL. If you end up on it, there is a very good chance you will be admitted. If you are not on it, you will find out very soon. The cycle is obviously not over, but that should at least give some closure to some students who are unmatched and tired of this horrible process. Hang in there guys.

I wish :’) no matches. Just sam houston + (hopefully) tech waitlists

hm I would email them and ask if they would accept a LOI at this point. If they do, I would send one. I sent one as well, my interviewer knew I only had 1 II. Got that A today. Hopefully you will join us :) good luck!

Matched (My Top Choice) here!!! Thanks @wysdoc and all the admins for sharing and guidiance, appreciate all your help!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R this morning, what a surprise! 🤣

hey yall just wanted to double check - so I prematched here in October and paid the placement guarantee fee (i wasn't 100% set on attending but to my understanding the fee was required in order to accept the prematch?) and i matched last week to a school I ranked higher. do i assume that my app was automatically withdrawn after the match and there's no further action needed on my part? i just wanted to double check since i think this was the only school with the placement guarantee fee and i just want to make sure that im not still holding a seat. thanks!

hey yall just wanted to double check - so I prematched here in October and paid the placement guarantee fee (i wasn't 100% set on attending but to my understanding the fee was required in order to accept the prematch?) and i matched last week to a school I ranked higher. do i assume that my app was automatically withdrawn after the match and there's no further action needed on my part? i just wanted to double check since i think this was the only school with the placement guarantee fee and i just want to make sure that im not still holding a seat. thanks!
You aren't holding a seat here anymore. The match notified schools of who matched at their program, and those are the only students that hold a seat now (until the school explicitly offers a post-WL/match offer to someone).

OOS Waitlist as well. Second waitlist from texas school. Still waiting for that A from a TX school

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Give it a week or two
This is correct, but I know it's always the most painful week to wait. Everyone here is doing amazing, and I wish you the very best!! Don't be discouraged if you're waitlisted, there is always a chance, many of my friends in my class (around 10-15 that I know) anecdotally got in off of waitlist (even OOS!)

+1 waitlist
Does anyone know how they determine who comes off the waitlist as the admission decision states the waitlist isn't ranked?

Is there an excel sheet with apartment recs? Asking for a friend!
IDK if there is a spreadsheet but you should look at my list earlier in this thread. I listed a couple (Renaissance, Slide North, Calais, El Mirador, 19 West, Catalina West, etc.)

• Care
If you end up matching at TTUHSC, here is some information you may find helpful. Everything is just my personal advice as a current student. The process may change from year to year, so make sure you follow updated guidance as applicable.

First, make sure you create and regularly check your TTUHSC email account. You will get lots of very important, time-sensitive emails sent to you in the coming months. (This is different than your TTU email if you are already affiliated with TTU.) I would also recommend making sure that you check your personal email as some stuff may be sent there, but the majority of it should go to your official student email.

February
  • Celebrate! You got into medical school and should be proud!
  • As long as you are committing to TTUHSC (as opposed to remaining on other schools' waitlists), I would immediately start looking at housing. Popular apartment complexes include Renaissance at North Park, Slide North, 19 West, Catalina West, and Calais at Elm Park. I have no affiliation with any of these apartment complexes, but do know students who have lived at each of them and had good experiences. There are plenty of other good options in town, but spots can fill up quickly so you should get started on this as soon as you can. If you're interested in renting a single-family home, you should look at Tech Terrace, which is a neighborhood just south of the undergraduate campus. One thing to consider is that you may be moving to Amarillo or Midland/Odessa for MS3/MS4, which will start in May 2026 for your class. In that case, you should avoid signing a two-year lease, which are fairly uncommon but may make you end up wasting money if you have to move before your lease is up. Everything in Lubbock is pretty close, so don't worry too much about commute times. In general, I would say that the West side of town is nicer but more expensive. There is a ton of growth in Lubbock, especially in the Southwest sector.
  • If you're part of a dual-degree program, make sure you've completed all of your paperwork for that program as well. You may need to apply for that program, register for classes, pay tuition, etc. If you are not part of a dual-degree program, it is likely not too late to join, but you need to act soon. Read about these programs here and let the admissions office know as soon as possible if you'd like to enroll. (I'll add emphasis to the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT), which is not a dual-degree program but allows you to graduate early and save money. It's definitely worth pursuing if you're committed to family medicine.
March
  • Ensure that your FAFSA has been processed and sent to TTUHSC. This is REQUIRED for all students receiving loans or scholarships. Information on FAFSA can be found here.
  • Apply to SOM Scholarships. There is an application that is due annually by April 1st. More information on scholarships can be found here. (This website has a PDF application that may no longer be in use. The SOM is trying to switch to an online application, so look for emails that provide updated instructions on applying for scholarships.) If you're selected for a scholarship, you have to write a thank-you note, so make sure you set reminders for that.
April
  • Review this website for lots of important instructions on the paperwork that is required to matriculate. Read everything very carefully so you don't miss important deadlines. Pay particular attention to the health insurance, financial aid, campus selection, and immunization requirements.
  • You will have to submit various trainings as described at the link above. You may also want to complete the "Biomedical Investigator" Course on CITI, which is a requirement for all students who want to get involved in research. If you don't do it now, you will have to do it as part of your coursework for P3 (a class you take during MS1 and MS2). This certification is good for three years, so there is no harm in doing it now, it and may make it easier to start research. (I recommend you wait until you're comfortable with the pace and rigor of medical school before worrying about research and other extracurriculars. You don't even need to start working on it until after anatomy or even later.)
  • You're required to get certain titers/immunizations as described here. Your health insurance may cover all of the required testing, but you may have to pay for some of it out-of-pocket. I did mine at AnyLabTestNow and paid about $100. Don't make the mistake of paying $1,000+ by doing it at a hospital.
May
  • Send your official transcripts to TTUHSC once all of your grades have been posted. This is a requirement for matriculation. (You can often just order official transcripts and have your undergraduate institution "hold" them until they are completed.
  • If you're in a dual-degree program, get ready for your coursework, which should start in late May or early June for at least the MBA and MPH.
June
  • Make sure you have everything outside of medicine put together as much as you can. Get your dental appointments done. Make sure have your car maintenance done. Update your insurance information if you need to. There is time to do stuff like that in medical school, but it is easier if you have as much of it done as you can before you start. It's just easier to focus on your studies.
  • TTUHSC requires all students to have health insurance. They will charge you for health insurance unless you submit a waiver that proves you already have health insurance. You will get emailed instructions on how to take care of this, but more information can also be found here.
  • If you haven't already, make sure you are registered for classes. You should get an email telling you what classes to enroll in, which are the same for all first-year students.
July
  • Review your financial aid in WebRaider and confirm that everything looks correct. If you are taking out loans, you will need to actually "accept" your loans in WebRaider.
  • Set up direct deposit so you can get financial aid refunded directly to your bank account. This is faster and more secure than a paper check. More instructions on how to do so can be found here.
  • Decide what payment plan you want for tuition. You can pay all of your tuition (for the entire academic year) by late July or you can split it into two payments in July and December. There is a $25 charge for the latter option. More information about payment plans and tuition due dates is here.
  • Consider purchasing a parking permit this month. They are required to park on campus. They charge you for a full month, so some students just wait until August to save a little bit of money. You technically risk getting a ticket, but that is up to you. More information on parking can be found here.
  • The official start date should be July 29th, but you will have mandatory orientation for a few days before that. The first week of actual classes is P3, which is pretty relaxed and is not anything you study for. You will likely meet your cadavers on the Friday of that week and then hit the ground running with lectures starting on the following Monday. (I recommend buying some cheap shoes and scrubs that you will throw away at the end of anatomy. Jaanu, Mandala, and Cherokee are all reasonable brands. The school will provide a set of scrubs and a stethoscope for you.)
The above is just a rough timeline. You should try to complete everything as early as possible to avoid running into any deadlines (like missing scholarships) or needing to get your vaccinations redone. Here's a couple more thoughts on some random things.
  • Books/Study Materials: TTUHSC provides the VAST majority of study resources and textbooks that you will need. I would not purchase anything until class starts. I didn't even use any textbooks that were not available for free from the library. Within the first year, you will get free access to Complete Anatomy, Virtual Human Dissector, Pathoma, Sketchy, UWorld, Boards and Beyond, and FireKracker.
  • Prestudying: I would advise against prestudying. I think it's a waste of time as you will forget a lot of stuff and will just burn yourself out. I think it is more important to just start school well-rested and ready to hit the ground running. I have seen a few classmates suggest that they wish they had started studying in advance, but don't feel like it is at all a requirement.
  • Anki: If you haven't already, you will hear a lot of people talk about Anki. For some, it is something that they spend hours using every day. Others will never use it. I recommend that you at least seriously try it as there has been significant research that shows that it is an effective study tool for medical students. You should get comfortable with using the program. There are lots of instructions on how to do so online, but one excellent resource is the AnKing YouTube Channel. If you want a more thorough explanation, you could consider the AnKing Master Course, which is about $100 and is not a requirement. Lots of upperclassmen will provide tips and tricks for how to use Anki. They will also provide decks for at least AH&E, which is the first class you will take.
  • Discord/Facebook: Your class will have an official Discord server and Facebook group. Nobody really uses my class's Facebook page, but the Discord can be pretty helpful.
  • Spring Training: For at least the past couple of years, the MS1 class has hosted an event in March that was a social event on a Friday evening and then an informal session on Saturday morning. It can include a tour of the school, mock lecture, student Q/A, and other stuff like that. I recommend attending if you can.
  • Orientation: This should be held in late July and is mandatory. More information will be emailed to you.
  • Academic Calendar: This website is where the school will post the academic calendar. All of the exams are typically on a Friday and are planned well in advance. Put breaks and exams in your personal calendar so you don't miss anything.
  • Campus Selection: This is just a personal preference thing. All students study in Lubbock for MS1 and MS2, but a portion of the class moves to Amarillo or the Permian Basin for MS3 and MS4. You will likely find out which campus you are assigned to in June. It can be appealed in the fall of your second year.
  • Gym: If you haven't already, you should get in the habit of being physically active. It's very important for good mental and physical health. You may not feel like you have a ton of time, but you should have enough to take care of yourself. You will get access to the TTU Rec Center as a TTUHSC student. I'm not exactly sure when you will get access, but some students have said that they started going before classes actually started.
  • Laptop: You will be required to have a laptop. It can be a PC or Mac. Technically, it needs to meet the requirements on this page, but you do not need anything fancy. I personally like having a second monitor to be able to study more effectively, but that's a personal choice. You'll also need a smartphone as many classes take attendance through QR codes.
  • Curriculum: This website has information on the curriculum. Browse through it to get an idea of what is expected from you. Overall, the classes are pretty manageable as long as you keep up with your workload and don't get behind. The first two years are pass/fail with no class rank, so it's not too stressful. Essentially all lectures are recorded and attendance is not mandatory except for a few specific lectures and various activities (such as encounters with standardized patients).
  • Support: Realize that there are a ton of different approaches to medical school, so don't feel guilty if you are not studying exactly how someone else is or if you feel like you are behind. Get help from faculty, peers, and upperclassmen. There is a great support system here, and YOU can do this. Many of you will feel like you aren't smart enough or deserving enough to be in medical school, but there was a reason you were selected. Understand that you were selected among thousands of applicants because the school wants YOU. The Offices of Student Affairs, Student Business Service, Financial Aid, Student Wellness, and many others can help take care of you. (If you ever need it, you can get free counseling at TTUHSC, and I'm happy to provide resources on other free or low-cost therapy options if you don't want to go through the school.)
Please feel free to PM me if you have any personal questions. There is a lot to do to get ready, but you also have plenty of time to do it. Take advantage of this time to have fun and relax. Also, remember that your journey through medicine is your own. A ton of people will give you advice, but it may not work for you. Take everything with a grain of salt and get multiple perspectives to build your own approach.

Good luck and "Wreck 'em Tech!"
dang im not even going here and this was still extremely helpful! :rofl:
thank you for taking the time!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
anyone know when updates for those waitlisted should be expected?

anyone know when updates for those waitlisted should be expected?
In previous years, there was WL movement around April. Since Match Day moved up two weeks, perhaps we will see more movement in late March/early April.

Hey so I am on the waitlist for this school and I was wondering if anyone who matched could tell me if there is a pre-matriculation drug test. I know that Rio Grande Valley and UTMB do one, but I can’t find any info on Lubbock

Please advise
-goinbananas

Hey so I am on the waitlist for this school and I was wondering if anyone who matched could tell me if there is a pre-matriculation drug test. I know that Rio Grande Valley and UTMB do one, but I can’t find any info on Lubbock

Please advise
-goinbananas
There is no prematriculation drug test.

Does anyone know if there is a dress code for lecture/didactic courses?

Does anyone know if there is a dress code for lecture/didactic courses?
There is not a dress code for lectures (and attendance is not even mandatory for the vast majority of them). For some sessions, like encounters with standardized patients, you are expected to wear business casual and a white coat.

Hey, any current students that might have a complete 2024 Match List for residencies?
Once the list is available for public release, please PM me a copy so I can put it up, I will delete student names.
Thanks, wysdoc
Sent