2023-2024 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Texas Tech Lubbock Secondary Essay Prompts:
(changed from last year, no COVID-19 essay and other slight wording changes).
On some of the OPTIONAL questions, an essay space box may appear if you answer "yes")

Prompts in Green are REQUIRED

1. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box (100 words).

• Practicing in an underserved area
  • Rural Health
  • Medical Research
  • Medical Academics
  • Primary Care
  • Border Health
  • Public Health
  • Other (Please describe below)

2. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.). If so, please explain (250 words or less)

3. Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)

4. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please rank them in order of preference

5. Are you applying to our MD & E program?

6. Are you applying to FMAT?

7. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity, personally or professionally? If yes, please share your experience with us. (200 words or less)

8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (100 words or less)

9. Please share with us your ideal practice. For example: Where would you practice? Who would your patients be? What would your specialty be? (100-word limit)

10. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties? If yes, what town or county did you reside in, or what other factors would you cite? (100 words or less)

11. Do you consider yourself to be first generation? If yes, please explain your reasoning (Examples of Definition: both of your parents are born outside of the USA, both of your parents have education or a degree outside of the USA, both of your parents do not have an education higher than high school). If yes, then explain? (100 words or less)

12. Have you ever participated in any TTUHSC special programs?
Middle School to Medical School (M2M)
Early Dedication to Medical Education (EDME)
Future Healthcare Professional’s Experience (FHPE)
Summer Enrichment Program (SEP)
Premedical Enrichment Program (PEP)
Graduate Medical Education Sciences (GMES)
N/A

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box (100 words).
  • Practicing in an underserved area
  • Rural Health
  • Medical Research
  • Medical Academics
  • Primary Care
  • Border Health
  • Public Health
  • Other (Please describe below)

Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.). If so, please explain (250 words or less)

Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)

If you are applying to a dual degree program, please rank them in order of preference

Are you applying to our MD & E program?

Are you applying to FMAT?

Have you experienced any hardship or adversity, personally or professionally? If yes, please share your experience with us. (200 words or less)

Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (100 words or less)

Please share with us your ideal practice. For example: Where would you practice? Who would your patients be? What would your specialty be? (100-word limit)

Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties? If yes, what town or county did you reside in, or what other factors would you cite? (100 words or less)

Do you consider yourself to be first generation? If yes, please explain your reasoning (Examples of Definition: both of your parents are born outside of the USA, both of your parents have education or a degree outside of the USA, both of your parents do not have an education higher than high school). If yes, then explain? (100 words or less)

Have you ever participated in any TTUHSC special programs?
Middle School to Medical School (M2M)
Early Dedication to Medical Education (EDME)
Future Healthcare Professional’s Experience (FHPE)
Summer Enrichment Program (SEP)
Premedical Enrichment Program (PEP)
Graduate Medical Education Sciences (GMES)
N/A

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you consider yourself to be first generation? If yes, please explain your reasoning (Examples of Definition: both of your parents are born outside of the USA, both of your parents have education or a degree outside of the USA, both of your parents do not have an education higher than high school).

This is one of the questions on the secondary application. I am not sure what to put. My parents were born outside the USA, but they got their masters in the US. I want to put no because I generally don't consider myself a first-generation student, but I also do not want to miss out on space on my application.

Do you consider yourself to be first generation? If yes, please explain your reasoning (Examples of Definition: both of your parents are born outside of the USA, both of your parents have education or a degree outside of the USA, both of your parents do not have an education higher than high school).

This is one of the questions on the secondary application. I am not sure what to put. My parents were born outside the USA, but they got their masters in the US. I want to put no because I generally don't consider myself a first-generation student, but I also do not want to miss out on space on my application.
I usually interpret this question as being the first in your family to earn a degree, the intent of this term was originally to know if a student hadn't had guidance or role models in their family to help them attain college. However, the examples in this essay prompt allow it to be much broader.

In your case, I would interpret it as you did, that they have degrees in higher education both abroad and in the US.
There are always other spots in the application and especially secondaries to discuss your cultural heritage and educational role models.

Reactions: 1 users
I usually interpret this question as being the first in your family to earn a degree, the intent of this term was originally to know if a student hadn't had guidance or role models in their family to help them attain college. However, the examples in this essay prompt allow it to be much broader.

In your case, I would interpret it as you did, that they have degrees in higher education both abroad and in the US.
There are always other spots in the application and especially secondaries to discuss your cultural heritage and educational role models.
First gen implies no one in your family went to college, anywhere in the world. It also in a way signifies a lot of disadvantages someone would have faced in getting to college as well as acquiring a degree because many are dissuaded due to parental non-belief in spending time and money on college as well as being financially unable to in many cases.

So what they are looking at is for students who have overcome a lot of adversity to get this far and actually be applying to medical school.

Anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? One of my pages is perpetually showing as incomplete.

Anyone else having issues submitting the secondary? One of my pages is perpetually showing as incomplete.
Yeah not sure what to do - it charged me for the app fee but it's showing as incomplete - did anyone reach out to the college?

Yeah not sure what to do - it charged me for the app fee but it's showing as incomplete - did anyone reach out to the college?
It may help to open the website in a different browser. Their email and portal both say that it may not work on Google Chrome

It may help to open the website in a different browser. Their email and portal both say that it may not work on Google Chrome
Thanks, they've charged me twice so a little apprehensive about doing it once more - could you link me to their system requirements - not seeing their lack of chrome support in a google search - also what browser worked for you

Thanks, they've charged me twice so a little apprehensive about doing it once more - could you link me to their system requirements - not seeing their lack of chrome support in a google search - also what browser worked for you
OOPS I was actually looking at an email from Tech El Paso - but it may be worth a shot anyways

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my pages is also showing incomplete although it is complete. Might need to call the office on Monday.

For the question on academic journey, would it be okay to talk about doing research? Or dos it have to specific to classes/grades?

This is the question: 3. Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)

For the question on academic journey, would it be okay to talk about doing research? Or dos it have to specific to classes/grades?

This is the question: 3. Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)
the academic journey includes everything during your time in school so it's fair!

For the very first question, it asks us to provide a significant activity along with our interest in the ones we select. I have connections to rural health bc of family, but it's not a specific activity or anything. Should I just not select that box even though I am interested in rural health?

For the very first question, it asks us to provide a significant activity along with our interest in the ones we select. I have connections to rural health bc of family, but it's not a specific activity or anything. Should I just not select that box even though I am interested in rural health?
They are looking for you not to just SAY you are interested in something, but to show from the activities you chose to pursue that you followed up on that interest.
"Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk."

Last edited:
For this:
Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.). If so, please explain (250 words or less).

Do I need to explain a C+ in organic chemistry lab (3 credits) when it was online during COVID? I didn't want to draw attention to it!

Another question with this one:
Have you experienced any hardship or adversity, personally or professionally? If yes, please share your experience with us. (200 words or less)

If I am well-off and not a URM can I answer this? My mom has an autoimmune disease that drastically impacts my life that I barely got to touch on in my personal statement, but I don't really want to sound whiney because it's not really that bad.

Another question with this one:

If I am well-off and not a URM can I answer this? My mom has an autoimmune disease that drastically impacts my life that I barely got to touch on in my personal statement, but I don't really want to sound whiney because it's not really that bad.
Adversity does not only hit poor and URM. Anyone can face adversity in the form of health, accidents, family members needing lot of help.

Out of curiosity, what did you list as driving you to medicine if not your mother's health issues? Most people are motivated into medicine because something in their life got them there.

FIX: Called the office. If you are applying for dual degree programs, rank just rank everything else too (even the ones ur not interested in). They will only consider you for what you apply for on TMDSAS

Were ya'll able to figure out why the application shows incomplete? I have everything filled out but it's still showing incomplete.

Even with a different browser :(

Last edited:
Regarding this prompt: Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.). If so, please explain (250 words or less).

I am wondering whether I should answer yes or no. I only had one C+ in undergrad and it was my first semester in a gen chem class. Secondly, I registered to take a calculus course at a community college but dropped it outside of the drop window because I was able to take it at my main institution for cheaper (was unfamiliar with this institution's deadlines). Ended with a W on that transcript but got an A in it at my main institution. Should I mention these events? I've heard it's best to not bring attention to instances like this if it wasn't a trend.

Last edited:
Adversity does not only hit poor and URM. Anyone can face adversity in the form of health, accidents, family members needing lot of help.

Out of curiosity, what did you list as driving you to medicine if not your mother's health issues? Most people are motivated into medicine because something in their life got them there.
Agrees.

Health challenges or missed diagnoses.

Violence affecting the community (I hate to note given how common it is).

Sudden loss of property or access to resources (forest fires, tornadoes, floods, etc.)

What did you write in Other Impactful Experience?

200 characters only gives you space to list essential details.

Regarding this prompt: Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.). If so, please explain (250 words or less).

I am wondering whether I should answer yes or no. I only had one C+ in undergrad and it was my first semester in a gen chem class. Secondly, I registered to take a calculus course at a community college but dropped it outside of the drop window because I was able to take it at my main institution for cheaper (was unfamiliar with this institution's deadlines). Ended with a W on that transcript but got an A in it at my main institution. Should I mention these events? I've heard it's best to not bring attention to instances like this if it wasn't a trend.
The prompt allows for your answer, IMO.

Did everyone receive the email stating this school was newly added to the list of schools in Casper? I had to confirm that I had already released my score to them.

"Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine" is this school, correct?

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone receive the email stating this school was newly added to the list of schools in Casper? I had to confirm that I had already released my score to them.

"Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine" is this school, correct?
Wondering the same thing. I had already selected it and sent it to "Texas Tech University HSC Medicine," so I was confused by the email

I believe this was just sent out to all applicants to the school as a reminder. I received this and was confused but I checked my Casper portal, and it was sent to TTU HSC.

I believe this was just sent out to all applicants to the school as a reminder. I received this and was confused but I checked my Casper portal, and it was sent to TTU HSC.

Same.

Hello! Regarding secondary question number 10, can I write something as simple as "I consider myself to have West Texas ties because I live in XXX," or am I expected to write something more profound to use more of the one hundred words?

Hello! Regarding secondary question number 10, can I write something as simple as "I consider myself to have West Texas ties because I live in XXX," or am I expected to write something more profound to use more of the one hundred words?
I would use the opportunity to expand on it if I had west texas ties

When the 3rd prompt says "academic journey", are they specifically looking for a lesson learned through my classes or could I speak about an extracurricular unrelated to academics?

Hi y'all, does anyone mind sharing the subject of the secondary invite email? I'm waiting on secondary invites from Dell (if only!) and Lubbock (and I do not believe they screen, but I could be wrong). I've gotten the weird Casper email, so I suspect might've lost the email in my inbox haha. thank you in advance!

Hi y'all, does anyone mind sharing the subject of the secondary invite email? I'm waiting on secondary invites from Dell (if only!) and Lubbock (and I do not believe they screen, but I could be wrong). I've gotten the weird Casper email, so I suspect might've lost the email in my inbox haha. thank you in advance!
“TTUHSC School of Medicine Lubbock Secondary Application Invite”

An additional secondary?
I submitted my secondary 5/18 and then 6/2 they emailed me "We have added an additional question to our secondary application and are going to reopen your secondary application to give you the opportunity to answer the additional question." It was the question about your ideal medical practice. For some reason it wasn't included on the secondary when I had submitted probably because I was early

submitted secondary 5/18, they emailed me 6/2 with an additional secondary question that I had to answer and "re-submitted" that day
Texas Tech sent out their secondary early June so how did you submit in May 2 days after the primary application opened?

I submitted my secondary 5/18 and then 6/2 they emailed me "We have added an additional question to our secondary application and are going to reopen your secondary application to give you the opportunity to answer the additional question." It was the question about your ideal medical practice. For some reason it wasn't included on the secondary when I had submitted probably because I was early
Oh that’s so strange I’m glad they caught that!

Saw a Reddit comment stating another applicant received an early decision interview invite today!