2023-2024 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does TT accept update letters prior to interview? I didnt see anything on their website

Members don't see this ad.

hi! was wondering in anyone had any tips/pointers for the interview? i am really nervous for it as its my first online interview this cycle. thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone interviewed here online?
Hi there! Not sure I fully understand the question given this thread, but Interviews were ONLY online this cycle. Whatever you saw that indicates in person events for this school only pertained to campus tours, which were only offered to those who interviewed online first. Unless you’re asking for someone who actually interviewed so you can ask for feedback?

Edit: never mind, I see your posts above asking for help and acknowledging you know they were online. So, there is quite a bit of info if you search through older posts. But to summarize real quick: very fun interview day here and very relaxed, staff is warm and amazing. 2 traditional interviews with 2 interviewers meaning you guys just talk about whatever they ask you. Practice a few traditional interview questions and truly be yourself/ authentic and be ready to discuss anything in your application. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of yall that went to preview day, did you bring guests or was it for prospective students only

Doesn't it say in the email or registration page for preview day?
I just double checked and I do not see anything specific noted about guests - but I did see someone in last years thread that they preferred the applicant with no guests (my guest would be my parent)

For those of yall that went to preview day, did you bring guests or was it for prospective students only
I brought my mom and there were no problems at all! Lots of seats available and lots of ambassadors to talk to

Reactions: 1 user
I brought my mom and there were no problems at all! Lots of seats available and lots of ambassadors to talk to
Yup! for future reference if anyone attends preview days bringing a guest is totally fine. It was a large crowd but plenty of space.

Is there typically an event for admitted students in the spring?
The current MS1 class president will email all accepted students after Match Day to invite you all to "Spring Training". You'll tour the school, have lunch, meet with classmates and current students, get a mock lecture, have a Q/A with faculty, and a bunch of other stuff like that. There's also usually some kind of social event the night before like going to "Main Event" for bowling and arcade games. Relatively soon, you should also get an invite from the class president for your class Facebook page and Discord, which is where there will be a ton of announcements and other advice. IDK exactly when that email will come but it should come within the next couple of months.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The current MS1 class president will email all accepted students after Match Day to invite you all to "Spring Training". You'll tour the school, have lunch, meet with classmates and current students, get a mock lecture, have a Q/A with faculty, and a bunch of other stuff like that. There's also usually some kind of social event the night before like going to "Main Event" for bowling and arcade games. Relatively soon, you should also get an invite from the class president for your class Facebook page and Discord, which is where there will be a ton of announcements and other advice. IDK exactly when that email will come but it should come within the next couple of months.
Awesome, thank you!

@current students: how were y’all able to secure roommates and stuff for apartments? Ive been looking for places to stay, but I don’t really know how to move forward lol

@current students: how were y’all able to secure roommates and stuff for apartments? Ive been looking for places to stay, but I don’t really know how to move forward lol
There will be a lot of people who find roommates through the Facebook group and or Discord, which you'll get details on after match day. A lot of people also just know each other from undergrad as a huge portion of the class comes from TTU. I'm pretty sure the MS1 class president will also email out a spreadsheet for people looking for roommates. If you're sure you are interested in attending TTU, I would look into stuff as soon as you can. Lots of good apartment complexes fill up fairly early (though you will still be able to find a place if you wait).

One word of caution is to make sure you don't sign a two-year lease. They are fairly uncommon, but a few people have had to pay fees to break a two year lease early if you start it in late July and it is for two years. A relatively small number of students go to Permian Basin or Amarillo in May after MS2 (which will be May 2026) for your class to start MS3 rotations. A two year lease wouldn't end until July 2026 so that could make you waste money.

If you need recommendations for a specific apartment, feel free to PM me.

Nah them sending another dual degree email on the last day for prematches is beyond cruel

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
TTU Lubbock does not accept updates, correct? I know TTU El Paso explicitly says it does not, but I have not been able to find affirming information on TTUHSC's website. It is partly the realization that TTUHSC does not mention prohibiting update letters that I am just now recognizing how I conflated El Paso's policies and extended them to TTUHSC's. I hope I didn't miss an opportunity :/

Last edited:
I know it is last minute, but now that I have interviewed, it has made me think more seriously about it: TTU Lubbock does not accept updates, correct? I know TTU El Paso explicitly says it does not, but I have not been able to find affirming information on TTUHSC's website (though I have found no place to submit in the portal, maybe by email?).
Hmm I don’t know for sure, but, from personal interactions with admissions, I was kindly encouraged to keep in touch. They have always been so responsive and kind, so maybe it’s worth emailing them to be sure? Although, at this point, our rankings are due in 2 days….

Edit: this is the complete opposite vibe I got from El Paso, so I wouldn’t use Foster as a guideline… The two schools have been like night and day in terms of warmth for me this season and I have no shame in saying that I was much more impressed with TTUHSC Lubbock. Nice folks!

Hmm I don’t know for sure, but, from personal interactions with admissions, I was kindly encouraged to keep in touch. They have always been so responsive and kind, so maybe it’s worth emailing them to be sure? Although, at this point, our rankings are due in 2 days….

Edit: this is the complete opposite vibe I got from El Paso, so I wouldn’t use Foster as a guideline… The two schools have been like night and day in terms of warmth for me this season and I have no shame in saying that I was much more impressed with TTUHSC Lubbock. Nice folks!
Is that deadline the same for their rankings? I was unsure.

Is that deadline the same for their rankings? I was unsure.
I think I might have heard the answer is “yes”, but I read so many SDN posts lately I feel like my head is all confused. With the risk of bugging @wysdoc maybe we can be sure? @wysdoc do TMDSAS schools also have a deadline of 2/2 to rank their students? Thank you!

• Care
I think I might have heard the answer is “yes”, but I read so many SDN posts lately I feel like my head is all confused. With the risk of bugging @wysdoc maybe we can be sure? @wysdoc do TMDSAS schools also have a deadline of 2/2 to rank their students? Thank you!
I don’t know the answer to that.
I’m sure their deadline is close to yours, but maybe they get the weekend to finalize
I’m sure they never get to see how you ranked them.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I’m sure their deadline is close to yours, but maybe they get the weekend to finalize
Thank you so much!

Thank you! Do you know if TTUHSC accepts update letters? Or do they have the same policies as El Paso? I've sent an email to ask but wonder if you already have knowledge of their stances.

TTU Lubbock does not accept updates, correct? I know TTU El Paso explicitly says it does not, but I have not been able to find affirming information on TTUHSC's website. It is partly the realization that TTUHSC does not mention prohibiting update letters that I am just now recognizing how I conflated El Paso's policies and extended them to TTUHSC's. I hope I didn't miss an opportunity :/
This post implies that they DO accept updates but that it is unlikely to do anything. If I recall correctly, I sent a letter of intent when I applied.

One of these links is a little outdated, but you might find some of this info interesting.

TTUHSC School of Medicine Admissions Catalog (2-17-2018):
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/catalog/documents/SOMCatalog.pdf

TTUHSC School of Medicine Virtual Tour:

Advising Guidebook:
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/medicine/admissions/documents/Advising-Guidebook-SOM.pdf

Interview Day Booklet:
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/medicine/adm...ool_of_Medicine_Interview_Booklet_DIGITAL.pdf

Anatomy Lab Virtual Tour:
Anatomy Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Update: Schools do have the 2/2 deadline, just like the applicants do. TTUHSC also does accept updates, but after the 11/15 application deadline, they can't upload it to your application and instead save it in some third-party folder (that is likely not ever opened, lol).

Update: Schools do have the 2/2 deadline, just like the applicants do. TTUHSC also does accept updates, but after the 11/15 application deadline, they can't upload it to your application and instead save it in some third-party folder (that is likely not ever opened, lol).
Wow really? Cool to know! Did the school share that? The rest of the info is valuable too! Thanks for updating us!

Wow really? Cool to know! Did the school share that? The rest of the info is valuable too! Thanks for updating us!
Yep! I called admissions and spoke with someone over the phone about it this morning :)

• Love
Does anybody know if OOS people who’ve interviewed can expect to hear back on match day?

Does anybody know if OOS people who’ve interviewed can expect to hear back on match day?
Out-of-state students do not participate in the match. While it is technically possible for you to be accepted on match day, there is nothing special about that day for OOS students. You are just as likely to get an acceptance that day as you are another day between now and whenever they stop accpeting students. The good news is that there is a relatively high proportion of OOS students that get accepted off of the waitlist. That is based purely off my experience of talking with classmates, but you shouldn't give up hope yet.

Match day week has finally arrived. Please keep yourselves sane this week.

Good luck to everyone and no matter what happens it’ll all be okay. We will all end up where we are supposed to ❤️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
If you end up matching at TTUHSC, here is some information you may find helpful. Everything is just my personal advice as a current student. The process may change from year to year, so make sure you follow updated guidance as applicable.

First, make sure you create and regularly check your TTUHSC email account. You will get lots of very important, time-sensitive emails sent to you in the coming months. (This is different than your TTU email if you are already affiliated with TTU.) I would also recommend making sure that you check your personal email as some stuff may be sent there, but the majority of it should go to your official student email.

February
  • Celebrate! You got into medical school and should be proud!
  • As long as you are committing to TTUHSC (as opposed to remaining on other schools' waitlists), I would immediately start looking at housing. Popular apartment complexes include Renaissance at North Park, Slide North, 19 West, Catalina West, and Calais at Elm Park. I have no affiliation with any of these apartment complexes, but do know students who have lived at each of them and had good experiences. There are plenty of other good options in town, but spots can fill up quickly so you should get started on this as soon as you can. If you're interested in renting a single-family home, you should look at Tech Terrace, which is a neighborhood just south of the undergraduate campus. One thing to consider is that you may be moving to Amarillo or Midland/Odessa for MS3/MS4, which will start in May 2026 for your class. In that case, you should avoid signing a two-year lease, which are fairly uncommon but may make you end up wasting money if you have to move before your lease is up. Everything in Lubbock is pretty close, so don't worry too much about commute times. In general, I would say that the West side of town is nicer but more expensive. There is a ton of growth in Lubbock, especially in the Southwest sector.
  • If you're part of a dual-degree program, make sure you've completed all of your paperwork for that program as well. You may need to apply for that program, register for classes, pay tuition, etc. If you are not part of a dual-degree program, it is likely not too late to join, but you need to act soon. Read about these programs here and let the admissions office know as soon as possible if you'd like to enroll. (I'll add emphasis to the Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT), which is not a dual-degree program but allows you to graduate early and save money. It's definitely worth pursuing if you're committed to family medicine.
March
  • Ensure that your FAFSA has been processed and sent to TTUHSC. This is REQUIRED for all students receiving loans or scholarships. Information on FAFSA can be found here.
  • Apply to SOM Scholarships. There is an application that is due annually by April 1st. More information on scholarships can be found here. (This website has a PDF application that may no longer be in use. The SOM is trying to switch to an online application, so look for emails that provide updated instructions on applying for scholarships.) If you're selected for a scholarship, you have to write a thank-you note, so make sure you set reminders for that.
April
  • Review this website for lots of important instructions on the paperwork that is required to matriculate. Read everything very carefully so you don't miss important deadlines. Pay particular attention to the health insurance, financial aid, campus selection, and immunization requirements.
  • You will have to submit various trainings as described at the link above. You may also want to complete the "Biomedical Investigator" Course on CITI, which is a requirement for all students who want to get involved in research. If you don't do it now, you will have to do it as part of your coursework for P3 (a class you take during MS1 and MS2). This certification is good for three years, so there is no harm in doing it now, it and may make it easier to start research. (I recommend you wait until you're comfortable with the pace and rigor of medical school before worrying about research and other extracurriculars. You don't even need to start working on it until after anatomy or even later.)
  • You're required to get certain titers/immunizations as described here. Your health insurance may cover all of the required testing, but you may have to pay for some of it out-of-pocket. I did mine at AnyLabTestNow and paid about $100. Don't make the mistake of paying $1,000+ by doing it at a hospital.
May
  • Send your official transcripts to TTUHSC once all of your grades have been posted. This is a requirement for matriculation. (You can often just order official transcripts and have your undergraduate institution "hold" them until they are completed.
  • If you're in a dual-degree program, get ready for your coursework, which should start in late May or early June for at least the MBA and MPH.
June
  • Make sure you have everything outside of medicine put together as much as you can. Get your dental appointments done. Make sure have your car maintenance done. Update your insurance information if you need to. There is time to do stuff like that in medical school, but it is easier if you have as much of it done as you can before you start. It's just easier to focus on your studies.
  • TTUHSC requires all students to have health insurance. They will charge you for health insurance unless you submit a waiver that proves you already have health insurance. You will get emailed instructions on how to take care of this, but more information can also be found here.
  • If you haven't already, make sure you are registered for classes. You should get an email telling you what classes to enroll in, which are the same for all first-year students.
July
  • Review your financial aid in WebRaider and confirm that everything looks correct. If you are taking out loans, you will need to actually "accept" your loans in WebRaider.
  • Set up direct deposit so you can get financial aid refunded directly to your bank account. This is faster and more secure than a paper check. More instructions on how to do so can be found here.
  • Decide what payment plan you want for tuition. You can pay all of your tuition (for the entire academic year) by late July or you can split it into two payments in July and December. There is a $25 charge for the latter option. More information about payment plans and tuition due dates is here.
  • Consider purchasing a parking permit this month. They are required to park on campus. They charge you for a full month, so some students just wait until August to save a little bit of money. You technically risk getting a ticket, but that is up to you. More information on parking can be found here.
  • The official start date should be July 29th, but you will have mandatory orientation for a few days before that. The first week of actual classes is P3, which is pretty relaxed and is not anything you study for. You will likely meet your cadavers on the Friday of that week and then hit the ground running with lectures starting on the following Monday. (I recommend buying some cheap shoes and scrubs that you will throw away at the end of anatomy. Jaanu, Mandala, and Cherokee are all reasonable brands. The school will provide a set of scrubs and a stethoscope for you.)
The above is just a rough timeline. You should try to complete everything as early as possible to avoid running into any deadlines (like missing scholarships) or needing to get your vaccinations redone. Here's a couple more thoughts on some random things.
  • Books/Study Materials: TTUHSC provides the VAST majority of study resources and textbooks that you will need. I would not purchase anything until class starts. I didn't even use any textbooks that were not available for free from the library. Within the first year, you will get free access to Complete Anatomy, Virtual Human Dissector, Pathoma, Sketchy, UWorld, Boards and Beyond, and FireKracker.
  • Prestudying: I would advise against prestudying. I think it's a waste of time as you will forget a lot of stuff and will just burn yourself out. I think it is more important to just start school well-rested and ready to hit the ground running. I have seen a few classmates suggest that they wish they had started studying in advance, but don't feel like it is at all a requirement.
  • Anki: If you haven't already, you will hear a lot of people talk about Anki. For some, it is something that they spend hours using every day. Others will never use it. I recommend that you at least seriously try it as there has been significant research that shows that it is an effective study tool for medical students. You should get comfortable with using the program. There are lots of instructions on how to do so online, but one excellent resource is the AnKing YouTube Channel. If you want a more thorough explanation, you could consider the AnKing Master Course, which is about $100 and is not a requirement. Lots of upperclassmen will provide tips and tricks for how to use Anki. They will also provide decks for at least AH&E, which is the first class you will take.
  • Discord/Facebook: Your class will have an official Discord server and Facebook group. Nobody really uses my class's Facebook page, but the Discord can be pretty helpful.
  • Spring Training: For at least the past couple of years, the MS1 class has hosted an event in March that was a social event on a Friday evening and then an informal session on Saturday morning. It can include a tour of the school, mock lecture, student Q/A, and other stuff like that. I recommend attending if you can.
  • Orientation: This should be held in late July and is mandatory. More information will be emailed to you.
  • Academic Calendar: This website is where the school will post the academic calendar. All of the exams are typically on a Friday and are planned well in advance. Put breaks and exams in your personal calendar so you don't miss anything.
  • Campus Selection: This is just a personal preference thing. All students study in Lubbock for MS1 and MS2, but a portion of the class moves to Amarillo or the Permian Basin for MS3 and MS4. You will likely find out which campus you are assigned to in June. It can be appealed in the fall of your second year.
  • Gym: If you haven't already, you should get in the habit of being physically active. It's very important for good mental and physical health. You may not feel like you have a ton of time, but you should have enough to take care of yourself. You will get access to the TTU Rec Center as a TTUHSC student. I'm not exactly sure when you will get access, but some students have said that they started going before classes actually started.
  • Laptop: You will be required to have a laptop. It can be a PC or Mac. Technically, it needs to meet the requirements on this page, but you do not need anything fancy. I personally like having a second monitor to be able to study more effectively, but that's a personal choice. You'll also need a smartphone as many classes take attendance through QR codes.
  • Curriculum: This website has information on the curriculum. Browse through it to get an idea of what is expected from you. Overall, the classes are pretty manageable as long as you keep up with your workload and don't get behind. The first two years are pass/fail with no class rank, so it's not too stressful. Essentially all lectures are recorded and attendance is not mandatory except for a few specific lectures and various activities (such as encounters with standardized patients).
  • Support: Realize that there are a ton of different approaches to medical school, so don't feel guilty if you are not studying exactly how someone else is or if you feel like you are behind. Get help from faculty, peers, and upperclassmen. There is a great support system here, and YOU can do this. Many of you will feel like you aren't smart enough or deserving enough to be in medical school, but there was a reason you were selected. Understand that you were selected among thousands of applicants because the school wants YOU. The Offices of Student Affairs, Student Business Service, Financial Aid, Student Wellness, and many others can help take care of you. (If you ever need it, you can get free counseling at TTUHSC, and I'm happy to provide resources on other free or low-cost therapy options if you don't want to go through the school.)
Please feel free to PM me if you have any personal questions. There is a lot to do to get ready, but you also have plenty of time to do it. Take advantage of this time to have fun and relax. Also, remember that your journey through medicine is your own. A ton of people will give you advice, but it may not work for you. Take everything with a grain of salt and get multiple perspectives to build your own approach.

Good luck and "Wreck 'em Tech!"

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My top choice! So so so happy!

IMG_3069.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I sent a LOI in dec and an admissions office rep said it was too late to be formally uploaded but they would “keep it on file.” Do you think the admissions committee will actually read it? Tech is my top choice and I went there for undergrad. My parents moved from Texas a few months before graduating college so I got royally screwed out of being IS and having a better shot. Luckily have been accepted elsewhere but emotionally I’m only gonna be excited if I get in to tech lol.
I don't know enough to definitely answer that. However, I do know that a letter of intent usually has a pretty small impact on any particular applicant's odds. A LOI will rarely, if ever, make or break your application.

Matched to tech!!!!!! SUPER EXCITED TO ATTEND
NOT SO EXCITED TO DRIVE THE 9 HOURS FROM H-TOWN

• Love
Reactions: 5 users