2023-2024 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also I've read hundreds of parent's posts and they've usually contained interesting updates. Was it too hard for you to just move past the post?
I think it was a more good-natured response lol, it's cool to see parents who remain engaged with SDN outside of early-doors introductory questions. Congratulations to both your sons' successes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Also I've read hundreds of parent's posts and they've usually contained interesting updates. Was it too hard for you to just move past the post?
I apologize if I came off offensive.

I was just a bit surprised was all. I often find that SDN is often an outlet for applicants' neuroticism and as that is usually not too applicable to parents, I was surprised.
Either way, congratulations to both your sons.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call to schedule an OOS II yesterday! Complete 9/17 and my interview is on 2/16!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gone to the Wednesday information session? If so, what were your overall thoughts, and did it change your views about EVMS? Thanks!!

Has anyone gone to the Wednesday information session? If so, what were your overall thoughts, and did it change your views about EVMS? Thanks!!
How to register/get access for the information sessions? I haven't heard of them

They talked about the CareForward curriculum more. It made me more interested in the school. I like the idea of doing standardized patients from day one and having strong integration of patient care throughout med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for interviews? Usually, I feel fairly good about prep but I feel like 30 minutes is so short that I'm a little more nervous than usual lol.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for interviews? Usually, I feel fairly good about prep but I feel like 30 minutes is so short that I'm a little more nervous than usual lol.
I had just commented this so I'll copy and paste it.

For prep, look at the SDN page for EVMS and read up on ethics: Ethics in Medicine | UW Department of Bioethics & Humanities. You should be familiar with every point on that website.

Look at the camera, not your screen. This is the number one complaint from interviewers is eye contact. Gotta have eye contact. Record yourself, eyes can wonder over time.

As with any interview, defend your points with experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
They are really, really nice people (atleast my interviewers were). The questions are very well-rounded and a good mix of topics that focus on ethcs, your personality, and your future plans. Like the other person said, try to include tidbits about your experiences in several responses. Make sure you know the school well and their mission

I had just commented this so I'll copy and paste it.

For prep, look at the SDN page for EVMS and read up on ethics: Ethics in Medicine | UW Department of Bioethics & Humanities. You should be familiar with every point on that website.

Look at the camera, not your screen. This is the number one complaint from interviewers is eye contact. Gotta have eye contact. Record yourself, eyes can wonder over time.

As with any interview, defend your points with experiences.

They are really, really nice people (atleast my interviewers were). The questions are very well-rounded and a good mix of topics that focus on ethcs, your personality, and your future plans. Like the other person said, try to include tidbits about your experiences in several responses. Make sure you know the school well and their mission

Thank you guys so much!! Super excited to interview :)

How to register/get access for the information sessions? I haven't heard of them
Also, you don't have to attend the session that is the week of your interview, you can go to any Wednesday session until the end of the interview season, which I think they said ends in March!

They talked about the CareForward curriculum more. It made me more interested in the school. I like the idea of doing standardized patients from day one and having strong integration of patient care throughout med school.
Great, thank you!!

Recently received an II here for 2/16 and I am seeking some clarification about their interview process. I have read the interview day information from EVMS and it seems fairly typical but it does not mention anything about a panel-style traditional interview as indicated by MSAR. The interview is completed with a panel from the admissions committee, right? If so, what can and should I expect that is particular to a panel-style? I have completed MMIs and traditional one-on-one interviews but never a panel interview. Yes, I have read the posts above regarding advice for their interview but am still seeking any particular insights that may help to prevent any surprises at the interview. Do interviewers take turns asking questions? May I expect follow-up questions from the same interviewer or another interviewer?

Separately, what time do the Wednesday information sessions take place? Trying to figure out if I will be able to work that day.

Recently received an II here for 2/16 and I am seeking some clarification about their interview process. I have read the interview day information from EVMS and it seems fairly typical but it does not mention anything about a panel-style traditional interview as indicated by MSAR. The interview is completed with a panel from the admissions committee, right? If so, what can and should I expect that is particular to a panel-style? I have completed MMIs and traditional one-on-one interviews but never a panel interview. Yes, I have read the posts above regarding advice for their interview but am still seeking any particular insights that may help to prevent any surprises at the interview. Do interviewers take turns asking questions? May I expect follow-up questions from the same interviewer or another interviewer?

Separately, what time do the Wednesday information sessions take place? Trying to figure out if I will be able to work that day.
My interview was conducted by a panel of three members: two faculty and a current EVMS student. They took turns asking questions and most were ethics-based. They will ask follow-up questions if they want you to expand on your response. The info session was 10-2 I believe.

My interview was conducted by a panel of three members: two faculty and a current EVMS student. They took turns asking questions and most were ethics-based. They will ask follow-up questions if they want you to expand on your response. The info session was 10-2 I believe.
Appreciate your response. Interesting that they ask more ethical questions instead of asking about you, why medicine, and the usual humdrum of questions. Was there time to ask questions to them at the end?

Appreciate your response. Interesting that they ask more ethical questions instead of asking about you, why medicine, and the usual humdrum of questions. Was there time to ask questions to them at the end?
Yeah I thought it was interesting too, considering other schools I interviewed with asked the more basic questions. Definitely made it a little difficult to give them a glimpse of who you are as a person. It is open-book though and my interviewers seemed to be familiar with my experiences/personal statement. I think there was one question about why medicine. Overall, it was a great interview experience and there was time to ask questions at the end!

does anyone know if I can upload an additional letter of rec while on the waitlist?

OOS II, but i’ll be declining so hopefully it goes to someone else here !

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
IS WL - middle tier, does anyone know what the chances are of getting off the waitlist?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
OOS WL (top tier) yesterday, interviewed second week of Jan. Hoping there’s movement for all of us soon!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. I have some questions.

Does your camera have to be on during the info session? Have people been accepted without having attended the info session? And, lastly, is the interview strictly 30 minutes? In other words, is there any wiggle room or do they cut it off at 30 minutes on the dot?

Thank you in advance!

Does your camera have to be on during the info session? Have people been accepted without having attended the info session? And, lastly, is the interview strictly 30 minutes? In other words, is there any wiggle room or do they cut it off at 30 minutes on the dot?

Thank you in advance!
Hi! At the info session that I attended everyone had their camera on, and my interview was exactly 30min.

IS II! I am so thrilled lol!
LM 71; complete late August; last week of feb dates available.

Does anyone know what time the information sessions typically are?

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users

Thank you in advance!
Mine went about 40 min. They weren’t in a rush to end “on time” but n = 1

Reactions: 1 users
IS II via phone call!!! My first II, I'm in tears. Complete 8/16

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users