2023-2024 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how much waitlist movement they usually have? there seemed to be quite a bit in last years thread but i’m not sure
WL stats is available here, they have ~250 wl spots and pull 50 off the list

Members don't see this ad.

WL stats is available here, they have ~250 wl spots and pull 50 off the list
And I believe the 250 WL spots is the total given out over the whole cycle, not the amount of WLs at the time that WL movement starts. Which in that case, the amount of people getting the A off the waitlist would be higher than 20% because people withdraw from WLs throughout the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
And I believe the 250 WL spots is the total given out over the whole cycle, not the amount of WLs at the time that WL movement starts. Which in that case, the amount of people getting the A off the waitlist would be higher than 20% because people withdraw from WLs throughout the cycle.
this, also not everyone who is offered a spot off the waitlist will accept it.
Keep in mind that people who applied to NYMC likely also applied to other schools in the nyc area.
Being that NYMC likely accepts those with higher stats (as their MSAR mcat and gpa have spiked recently), a lot of those accepted or on the WL may also be accepted to other NYC schools.
And although NYMC is a great school, nobody is choosing it over NYU and Einstein free tuition, or Colombia Cornell and Sinai which are all considered top top schools.
So keep your hopes up!

Members don't see this ad :)
if they haven't gotten back to those of us with pre-II holds guessing thats and R at this point?

this, also not everyone who is offered a spot off the waitlist will accept it.
Keep in mind that people who applied to NYMC likely also applied to other schools in the nyc area.
Being that NYMC likely accepts those with higher stats (as their MSAR mcat and gpa have spiked recently), a lot of those accepted or on the WL may also be accepted to other NYC schools.
And although NYMC is a great school, nobody is choosing it over NYU and Einstein free tuition, or Colombia Cornell and Sinai which are all considered top top schools.
So keep your hopes up!
Also, many who get into this school also get into schools like SUNY Downstate, Upstate, Hostra, Stoney Brook, etc. (I glanced at the profiles of a bunch of people on the WL and who got As and saw this trend) so even if they don’t get into the top tier schools like you mentioned, many still have to choose between some really good schools so that could also be why this school has very good WL movement.

And when it says they take 50 off the WL, does that mean 50 who are taken off the WL and matriculate? Or do you think that includes people who get the A and turn it down?

Also, many who get into this school also get into schools like SUNY Downstate, Upstate, Hostra, Stoney Brook, etc. (I glanced at the profiles of a bunch of people on the WL and who got As and saw this trend) so even if they don’t get into the top tier schools like you mentioned, many still have to choose between some really good schools so that could also be why this school has very good WL movement.

And when it says they take 50 off the WL, does that mean 50 who are taken off the WL and matriculate? Or do you think that includes people who get the A and turn it down?
Gonna assume it means the amount of those who are taken off and matriculate. Bc the top 50 are the most likely to have gotten in elsewhere already.

Gonna assume it means the amount of those who are taken off and matriculate. Bc the top 50 are the most likely to have gotten in elsewhere already.
But doesn’t NYMC have an unranked WL? I thought they didn’t have a top 50.

And if that’s the case, then they must take a LOT off the WL. I guess no one knows but them.

But doesn’t NYMC have an unranked WL? I thought they didn’t have a top 50.

And if that’s the case, then they must take a LOT off the WL. I guess no one knows but them.
Ya they claim to not have a ranked WL but honestly that makes no sense. Every school has rankings at least according to everyone I’ve ever spoke with

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so never got the email to join the fb page can someone please post it here. Kinda getting nervous about making friends!!

Pre-II R OOS now, after being on Interview Hold

Pre-II R.
What an insanely disrespectful rejection paragraph:
"Candidates may also be interested in the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, or in other professions such as Podiatric Medicine at the New York Podiatric School of Medicine, or a Pharmacist at the Touro College of Pharmacy"

**** off, your school is way too mid to be saying this.
This isn't even the first rejection letter with that type of message I got. Who in their right mind thinks that's a remotely appropriate thing to put in a rejection letter?

Reactions: 5 users
Pre-II R.

This isn't even the first rejection letter with that type of message I got. Who in their right mind thinks that's a remotely appropriate thing to put in a rejection letter?
Ikr like what the heck. Just reject me and call it a day.

Reactions: 3 users
What an insanely disrespectful rejection paragraph:
"Candidates may also be interested in the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, or in other professions such as Podiatric Medicine at the New York Podiatric School of Medicine, or a Pharmacist at the Touro College of Pharmacy"

**** off, your school is way too mid to be saying this.
Although it is not the right time or place to be advertsing the other programs they offer, don't let their tactlessness get to you.
Best of luck! 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II R, very disrespectful email to say the least. I wouldn’t even have gone here anyways since I have offers to higher ranked schools

Reactions: 1 users
withdrew my A today. best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Question about the Need Based Grant- I’m sort of confused. If I receive an award for it, does that mean I have to take the 63,000 out in loans, or does this mean it is subtracted from that 63,000?

Hey all, current M4 here

Anyone know if the majority of students live on or off campus?
Majority definitely live on-campus during first two years (especially M1), and I do recommend this if you can stomach having roommates (vast majority of M1/M2s end up with 1-3 roommates). The on-campus housing is a unique aspect of NYMC compared to other schools & really helps with building community / making friends. I do know people who were commuters M1 year and still found their people, so it's certainly not impossible if you're motivated. But being able to literally walk to friends' apartments / common areas at any hour makes things easier/more convenient. Anecdotally, I know a couple people who lived off-campus M1 year and then actually moved onto campus M2 year after feeling FOMO. Also campus housing = by far the lowest price on housing you'll get in the area

@current Students - has anyone lived in NYC and commuted to NYMC? What's that like?
I did it for parts of my M3 year (4-6 week blocks at a time) -- was living in NYC but had a clerkship at WMC, our main affiliate on campus. I just paid to keep my car parked at North White Plains station and took the Metro-North up each day, then drove from there to campus. ~1 hour door-to-door. I prefer the train commute to driving personally, but I know some people do the driving commute also (if the parking around their area in NYC isn't too bad). Know a few current M1s/M2s that do this. What they'll typically do is stay on campus during the whole day, like a work day, then commute back in the evenings. But like I said above, this can make it a little harder to build deeper community with those who are living on-campus / may be a bit isolating, compared to doing it during your M3/M4 year when much fewer people are living on campus & the class disperses a lot more (and you'll find your fellow NYC people). But it's definitely doable and a person-by-person kinda thing. You have to decide if you're okay w/ spending ~2 hours a day commuting, which on the train isn't too bad if you can study / get work done on the train.

Question about the Need Based Grant- I’m sort of confused. If I receive an award for it, does that mean I have to take the 63,000 out in loans, or does this mean it is subtracted from that 63,000?
You will be able to reduce the loans you take out. You're never required to take out 100% of the COA in loans; they just recommend you do initially until you have a sense for how much you need, then you have a 120-day period to return any extra money you don't need

Reactions: 1 users
Are there still people waiting to hear back from interview results or are we just waiting for WL to move now?

Are there still people waiting to hear back from interview results or are we just waiting for WL to move now?
I’d guess it’s WL next. I would have assumed that if there was another regular decision drop it would have been this Tuesday which obviously didn’t happen (or if it did, no one reported it). Based on the last drop, it would appear that people who interviewed late in March got their decisions which is typically when they stop interviewing.

for people who withdrew their As - did you get your deposit back yet? how long did it take?

Wondering if anyone else is in this position. NYMC offered me a scholarship (20k per year, for those curious). I am required to accept this scholarship by selecting "choose to enroll" within 3 days of April 30th. Does that mean I can wait till Friday to do it, or is it Thursday? Or is it possible to wait longer to commit to enroll while still holding the scholarship?

I'm waitlisted at my top choice and hoping to hear something but not sure what my chances are of that happening this week.