2023-2024 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Rutgers (New Jersey) Secondary Essay Prompts: (1500 characters each)

1. We are committed to supporting our NJMS community by enhancing collaboration between students, staff, and faculty, with a dedicated focus on humanism, health equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

2. We seek students who are respectful, self-aware, humble, resilient, team-oriented, and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and share insight on what you learned about yourself and how the challenge was resolved.

3. If you will not be a full-time student between June 2023 and August 2024, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

4. If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2024, please share insight on your decision

5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

6. Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: Institutional Actions, Academic and/or MCAT inconsistencies, personal challenges,):

7. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Just received the secondary prompts:
We are committed to supporting our NJMS community by enhancing collaboration between students, staff, and faculty, with a dedicated focus on humanism, health equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

We seek students who are respectful, self-aware, humble, resilient, team-oriented, and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and share insight on what you learned about yourself and how the challenge was resolved.

If you will not be a full-time student between June 2023 and August 2024, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2024, please share insight on your decision

If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: Institutional Actions, Academic and/or MCAT inconsistencies, personal challenges,):

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc

Just received the secondary prompts:
We are committed to supporting our NJMS community by enhancing collaboration between students, staff, and faculty, with a dedicated focus on humanism, health equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

We seek students who are respectful, self-aware, humble, resilient, team-oriented, and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and share insight on what you learned about yourself and how the challenge was resolved.

If you will not be a full-time student between June 2023 and August 2024, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2024, please share insight on your decision

If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: Institutional Actions, Academic and/or MCAT inconsistencies, personal challenges,):

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

Best of luck to everyone!
Could you share the character/word limits on those?

Did you guys already get your secondary? I'm an in state applicant and I submitted the first day the application opened at 9:30am and I still have yet to get them

Did you guys already get your secondary? I'm an in state applicant and I submitted the first day the application opened at 9:30am and I still have yet to get them
I still haven’t gotten mine. I only got 2 of 30 secondaries sent to me, so I’m thinking they’re waiting till the weekend, and maybe the holiday, passes.

are you ED? i believe they are only sending secondaries to ED applicants right now

Members don't see this ad :)
(not verified) but a friend of a friend received an II Sunday and they submitted secondary Friday, also an ED applicant

Hoping to hear about an II this week

I thought they were fast with sending out secondaries, but I guess not...

Is the "challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else" an optional essay? I don't really have anything to talk about within their suggestions, so should I just treat it as an "adversity" essay?

any other IS not receive an application

OOS secondary received just now, live in Philly, regular decision applicant.

Did anyone not ED get the secondary yet? Still haven't gotten an IS secondary

Anyone get a secondary even though their amcas is not yet verified?

Anyone have any thoughts if the "challenges not addressed elsewhere" is optional? A bit lost on how to answer it since there was already a challenge question, and I'm not sure if it applies to me

2023-2024 Rutgers (New Jersey) Secondary Essay Prompts: (1500 characters each)

1. We are committed to supporting our NJMS community by enhancing collaboration between students, staff, and faculty, with a dedicated focus on humanism, health equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

2. We seek students who are respectful, self-aware, humble, resilient, team-oriented, and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you have experienced and share insight on what you learned about yourself and how the challenge was resolved.

3. If you will not be a full-time student between June 2023 and August 2024, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

4. If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2024, please share insight on your decision

5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

6. Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: Institutional Actions, Academic and/or MCAT inconsistencies, personal challenges,):

7. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Interview Feedback
what do they mean by "growth" years?

For ED applicants, how long after secondary submission did you get your interview? Anyone recieved the acceptance call yet?

For ED applicants, how long after secondary submission did you get your interview? Anyone recieved the acceptance call yet?
Wow, Rutgers NJ gets going right away with their ED applicants! I wish other schools would also do this.
Deadline for submitting your ED application is August 1, but interviews have started.
From their web page:
Our Process:
We are committed to reviewing completed applications within 48 hours of receipt. Interviews begin in early-July and acceptance offers begin in mid-July.

We do NOT wait until October 1, which is the customary ED program deadline

Decisions:

ED applicants are either Accepted to the next entering class or Deferred to Regular Pool for future consideration. Deferred applicants are notified immediately and are able to then apply to additional medical schools of their choice. These applicants are also reviewed again by the NJMS admissions committee a little later in the admissions cycle.

Wow, Rutgers NJ gets going right away with their ED applicants! I wish other schools would also do this.
Deadline for submitting your ED application is August 1, but interviews have started.
From their web page:
Our Process:
We are committed to reviewing completed applications within 48 hours of receipt. Interviews begin in early-July and acceptance offers begin in mid-July.

We do NOT wait until October 1, which is the customary ED program deadline

Decisions:

ED applicants are either Accepted to the next entering class or Deferred to Regular Pool for future consideration. Deferred applicants are notified immediately and are able to then apply to additional medical schools of their choice. These applicants are also reviewed again by the NJMS admissions committee a little later in the admissions cycle.
I know interviews start at a certain day so the 48hour thing might not apply to those who submitted super early. Does this mean that now that interviews are being offered, it should be within 48 hours of submission or is it just that they try to do it and not a guaranteed thing.

I know interviews start at a certain day so the 48hour thing might not apply to those who submitted super early. Does this mean that now that interviews are being offered, it should be within 48 hours of submission or is it just that they try to do it and not a guaranteed thing.

I think it’s something they try to do to promote their efficiency with ED decisions, I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed esp since it seems like their committee doesn’t meet everyday either