2023-2024 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think you are off the WL until they officially tell you that usually right before classes begin. At least that’s what it seems like from past years sdn threads. What was the deadline to accept the offer for the program?
The deadline to accept the offer is May 15th, but the application deadline is May 22nd

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The deadline to accept the offer is May 15th, but the application deadline is May 22nd
Hmmm interesting. If you don’t get off the WL by May 15 would you accept the offer or keep waiting?

Hmmm interesting. If you don’t get off the WL by May 15 would you accept the offer or keep waiting?
Also, I don’t think it’d hurt if anyone who got the email called or emailed back asking what it means for your position on the waitlist. They are really nice I’m sure they’d give you some useful info

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this is just something they send out to a lot of people on the waitlist lol

honestly, I don't know at this point, but I was planning to call them soon to clarify some things. I'm just trying to figure out why they sent this out to some people and not others

honestly, I don't know at this point, but I was planning to call them soon to clarify some things. I'm just trying to figure out why they sent this out to some people and not others
Forreal I'm very curious about that too

Yeah Im wondering about that too. I didn’t get it, but it’s giving me flashbacks to the Savannah campus tour email fiasco tbh 😭

• Haha
I was thinking about it and do y’all think they sent it to people towards the bottom of the waitlist? Like people that they would like to accept, already went through the trouble of interviewing (so they don’t necessarily have to do it again), but simply don’t think they’ll get to? *pls share y’all’s thoughts —or am I the only one thinking about this

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking about it and do y’all think they sent it to people towards the bottom of the waitlist? Like people that they would like to accept, already went through the trouble of interviewing (so they don’t necessarily have to do it again), but simply don’t think they’ll get to? *pls share y’all’s thoughts —or am I the only one thinking about this
I kind of would like to think the same thing, probably because I am on the WL and didn't receive the email. I could be coping though:arghh:.

I didn’t get that email. Unsure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing? I looked up the program though and it seems like it’s geared towards people who maybe didn’t have the highest GPA/MCAT?

Personally, my GPA wasn’t particularly competitive so I’m kind of surprised I didn’t get the email if that’s the case. I did really well on the MCAT though so idk if it cancels out lol.

I didn’t get that email. Unsure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing? I looked up the program though and it seems like it’s geared towards people who maybe didn’t have the highest GPA/MCAT?

Personally, my GPA wasn’t particularly competitive so I’m kind of surprised I didn’t get the email if that’s the case. I did really well on the MCAT though so idk if it cancels out lol.
I’m the opposite and also didn’t get it— high GPA and unimpressive MCAT. Trying to not freak out but hoping for the best(?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m the opposite and also didn’t get it— high GPA and unimpressive MCAT. Trying to not freak out but hoping for the best(?)
Anecdotally, to make you feel better, most of the people I know who got into mcg had a high GPA & unimpressive MCAT. so I’d hold out hope for sure!

Yeah I would say so. According to our friend Luminator, it is for students who “may benefit from additional academic preparation prior to matriculating to medical school.”

They are not sending this to someone with a 3.9 and 520, so I would assume it’s for people with GPAs and MCATS quite below their medians (3.85 and 513 according to MSAR).

As to WL placement, however, who knows. My guess is they are hoping some students take it in order to chop the WL and make decisions easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I would say so. According to our friend Luminator, it is for students who “may benefit from additional academic preparation prior to matriculating to medical school.”

They are not sending this to someone with a 3.9 and 520, so I would assume it’s for people with GPAs and MCATS quite below their medians (3.85 and 513 according to MSAR).

As to WL placement, however, who knows. My guess is they are hoping some students take it in order to chop the WL and make decisions easier.
This makes the most sense to me. I wonder if they anticipate less WL movement than normal this year or something? Or if the whole campus assignment stuff has delayed them going through and deciding on WL positions for people?

This makes the most sense to me. I wonder if they anticipate less WL movement than normal this year or something? Or if the whole campus assignment stuff has delayed them going through and deciding on WL positions for people?
Why do you think they would they anticipate less WL movement this year?

Why do you think they would they anticipate less WL movement this year?
I have no clue. That’s just me extrapolating from non-existent info. If anything I think the delay in campus assignments would increase WL movement because people might not be as likely to commit to mcg.

But I really wonder why they sent this out this year and not prev years (based on past threads) considering this program has existed prior to this year.

I have no clue. That’s just me extrapolating from non-existent info. If anything I think the delay in campus assignments would increase WL movement because people might not be as likely to commit to mcg.

But I really wonder why they sent this out this year and not prev years (based on past threads) considering this program has existed prior to this year.
That’s a fair point. Maybe like I said, they’re in a rush to get out campus assignments and next week they have to start pulling from WL. If more people take the program, it makes their job of who they take from the WL easier. But all speculation.

That’s a fair point. Maybe like I said, they’re in a rush to get out campus assignments and next week they have to start pulling from WL. If more people take the program, it makes their job of who they take from the WL easier. But all speculation.
Yeah I think we’re all just losing our minds at this point.

If anyone who was offered the program does end up calling or emailing to get more info, do you mind keeping us updated?

Yeah I think we’re all just losing our minds at this point.

If anyone who was offered the program does end up calling or emailing to get more info, do you mind keeping us updated?
Yeah, I called them and they mentioned that you'll still be on the alternate list whether or not you accept this offer. They sent it to the students they feel will benefit from additional academic testing, etc. But they didn't really say much about the waitlist movement and whether this affects it much

Yeah, I called them and they mentioned that you'll still be on the alternate list whether or not you accept this offer. They sent it to the students they feel will benefit from additional academic testing, etc. But they didn't really say much about the waitlist movement and whether this affects it much
That’s so confusing. I hope that it doesn’t actually mean anything. I guess we’ll know within a few weeks lol

That’s so confusing. I hope that it doesn’t actually mean anything. I guess we’ll know within a few weeks lol
I think I probably worded it wrong, but I think you'll be removed from the waitlist if you accept the offer

Just a thought, it could also be unrelated to the availability of MD spots altogether. Maybe they expanded this program and there are more seats available so they’ve identified students who would benefit on the MD waitlist and offering them seats since they’ve already been through the whole interview process.

Just got an email regarding campus today around 3:16. :DDD

Reactions: 4 users
Did everyobody else also get their assignments?

• Hmm
Those who got campus assignment, did y’all get your first choice? Also, anybody still waiting for their campus assignment now?

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
congrats! are you happy with the campus assignment you got?
Thank you! I got my first choice (Augusta) and am pretty happy with it, but after touring all three campuses and their cities, I would've been happy with either one. Athens and Savanah are both extremely beautiful.

And now the hunt for a place to live begins. :pompous:

Idk why but I having a feeling that you guys will get assignments today with PTE deadline next week!

There are several people in the GroupMe who still do not have their assignments
Oh no 😭 I hope they come out before April 30 that would be terrible if they didn’t

Oh no 😭 I hope they come out before April 30 that would be terrible if they didn’t
I feel like they probably are required to by then ause otherwise people can't really make their decision or it may affect how many people actually pick MCG

I feel like they probably are required to by then ause otherwise people can't really make their decision or it may affect how many people actually pick MCG

I haven’t spoken to admissions about the upcoming PTE deadline but I’m attaching a post an accepted student made in the GroupMe about the admin update they got regarding the upcoming 4/30 PTE deadline.

IMG_3799.jpg

Out of naivete, how does the April 30th deadline work? Is it a set in stone deadline where people have to choose a single MD school by the end of the day or is there some leeway with situations like this where campus assignment hasn’t been made and could potentially significantly sway acceptances? What happens if students don’t select a single MD school by the end of April 30th? How many days are students given to narrow down their options?

I haven’t spoken to admissions about the upcoming PTE deadline but I’m attaching a post an accepted student made in the GroupMe about the admin update they got regarding the upcoming 4/30 PTE deadline.

View attachment 386000
Woah that's crazy...how are people supposed to narrow down to one school if they don't know the campus they're going to hm

Out of naivete, how does the April 30th deadline work? Is it a set in stone deadline where people have to choose a single MD school by the end of the day or is there some leeway with situations like this where campus assignment hasn’t been made and could potentially significantly sway acceptances? What happens if students don’t select a single MD school by the end of April 30th? How many days are students given to narrow down their options?
MCG says “All accepted students are required to "Commit to Enroll" by July 5. Those participating in the pre-matriculation program must commit by May 16. If not, MCG may withdraw you from the 2024 entering class.” So technically I guess people could wait until then to commit to enroll to MCG and remain on waitlists to other schools. However, if someones accepted to more than one school, they have to narrow down to one by april 30 but can remain on WLs if they only PTE and not CTE. I think that’s how it works. I’m not completely sure bc this is an unprecedented situation. Link: https://www.augusta.edu/mcg/admissions/documents/20232024acceptanceandwithdrawalprocedures.pdf

Last edited:
From my understanding PTE and CTE are different things— PTE you just select one school on AAMC but may still be on waitlists. Commit to enroll you actually go directly to a school and pay their deposit, etc. Please correct me if I’m wrong..

From my understanding PTE and CTE are different things— PTE you just select one school on AAMC but may still be on waitlists. Commit to enroll you actually go directly to a school and pay their deposit, etc. Please correct me if I’m wrong..
Yeah—on April 30 CTE becomes available but you can remain on waitlists after that if you don’t change ur status from PTE to CTE. The date to actually commit to a certain school varies from school to school
IMG_5441.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah—on April 30 CTE becomes available but you don’t have to narrow down to one school by that date. The date to commit varies from school to schoolView attachment 386002
Wait— I think you do have to narrow down to one school by the 30th, you just dont have to pay anything. The schools you didn’t select do get notified that you didn’t pick them, so you “rescind” your acceptance. By PTE you pretty much narrow down to one acceptance + keep your waitlist spots (so if you get accepted off the waitlist somewhere else, you can still go). By CTE you rescind all waitlist spots too (I think) and are 100% committed to going to that school no matter what else happens.

Reactions: 3 users
Wait— I think you do have to narrow down to one school by the 30th, you just dont have to pay anything. The schools you didn’t select do get notified that you didn’t pick them, so you “rescind” your acceptance. By PTE you pretty much narrow down to one acceptance + keep your waitlist spots (so if you get accepted off the waitlist somewhere else, you can still go). By CTE you rescind all waitlist spots too (I think) and are 100% committed to going to that school no matter what else happens.
I thought that too but this example amcas posted says differently. I could be misunderstanding. It’s all kinda confusing 😂
IMG_5442.jpeg

I forget does AMCAS like legit make people with more than one acceptance go down to only one by the 30th? Is that an AMCAS system thing or can people just follow school specific rules for pte?

I forget does AMCAS like legit make people with more than one acceptance go down to only one by the 30th? Is that an AMCAS system thing or can people just follow school specific rules for pte?
So from the example I guess you can only remain accepted to one school by April 30 but can remain on waitlists for others if you don’t commit to enroll and keep ur status as plan to enroll (only if the schools deadline to commit isnt also April 30)? Someone confirm this pls lol

So from the example I guess you can only remain accepted to one school by April 30 but can remain on waitlists for others if you don’t commit to enroll and keep ur status as plan to enroll (only if the schools deadline to commit isnt also April 30)? Someone confirm this pls lol
Yea that's what I'm thinking also I don't think any schools CTE is that early. Most are in June and July from what I've seen

you have to give up all acceptances but one on April 30th, but schools like MCG don’t require commit to enroll on that day so you can remain on waitlists until you commit to enroll. So if you want MCG, give up other acceptances and just wait to commit if you want to stay on waitlists until July 5

Reactions: 5 users
I think that’s it! You have to narrow down to one school by Tuesday!

Ah okay that makes sense. Good luck to all the accepted students, I hope you guys make the best decisions for yourselves 😄