2023-2024 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really feel like, considering how many people are waiting on campus assignments still, that there won’t be any movement until May even tho they said otherwise. I think a fair amount of people are deciding whether or not to attend mcg vs another school based on campus assignment & if they don’t have the assignment… they can’t make the decision. & I don’t blame anyone for waiting on that bc Athens vs Savannah vs Augusta are wildly diff places COL wise & geographically, let alone differences in the school
Ahh yea that's true I've seen people waiting on assignments too and that can make a big difference like you said. I remember someone was told by an admissions member during a tour that movement will start in April but I'm sure it's really like the very end of April lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really feel like, considering how many people are waiting on campus assignments still, that there won’t be any movement until May even tho they said otherwise. I think a fair amount of people are deciding whether or not to attend mcg vs another school based on campus assignment & if they don’t have the assignment… they can’t make the decision. & I don’t blame anyone for waiting on that bc Athens vs Savannah vs Augusta are wildly diff places COL wise & geographically, let alone differences in the school
I’m surprised campus assignments haven’t been released. Considering the PTE deadline where you need to choose one school is approaching.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all think second round of campus assignments coming out today? It has officially been a month since the first round :/

I wonder what the hold up is with the campus assignments?
has anyone reached out to admin to find out what the hold up is? last year’s thread didn’t seem to indicate this many or really even any issues w campus assignments

Does anyone have pros and cons for each campus? It would be very helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
this campus assignment thing is just ridiculous. im not sure why people got them a month ago and we are still waiting

this campus assignment thing is just ridiculous. im not sure why people got them a month ago and we are still waiting
I’m on waitlist rn but I agree. Sucks for those of you who are still deciding between schools when you have to narrow one down by April 30th.

Any updates? I really thought they would have at least sent them by April 15.

Reactions: 2 users
How do most student find housing? apartments or what?
Yeah most stay in apartments, at least in Augusta.There's a link in the GroupMe with a Canva presentation of several places to live in Augusta, including a pros/ cons list, distance to campus, and price range

Does anyone know when orientation and the first day of class would be for the upcoming school year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are a majority of y’all still waiting on campus placements because if so, that’s concerning given the deadline to narrow down to one MD school is in two weeks. Just gauging how receptive MCG is being around this time in the cycle.

Are a majority of y’all still waiting on campus placements because if so, that’s concerning given the deadline to narrow down to one MD school is in two weeks. Just gauging how receptive MCG is being around this time in the cycle.

Based on the GroupMe’s poll response for campus assignments, less than half of the accepted students have been given a campus assignment (keep in mind that not every accepted student responded in the poll).

We know for sure about 100 people have received a campus assignment, potentially a bit more. With that in mind, I think it’s more than fair to say the majority of accepted students are still waiting to be assigned a campus.

After receiving no response to an email I sent 2 weeks ago concerning this issue, I called admissions yesterday, and was told that "they are still in the process of sorting assignments" and there is "no definite date as to when decisions will be released". I'm not sure what's going on, but MCG is making it pretty hard for us students by not releasing campus assignments or financial aid so close to the AMCAS deadline. What do you peeps think about this?

After receiving no response to an email I sent 2 weeks ago concerning this issue, I called admissions yesterday, and was told that "they are still in the process of sorting assignments" and there is "no definite date as to when decisions will be released". I'm not sure what's going on, but MCG is making it pretty hard for us students by not releasing campus assignments or financial aid so close to the AMCAS deadline. What do you peeps think about this?
I just wonder what the hold up is. They’ve been messing up a lot this cycle tbh and really need to get the assignments out so people can be informed before narrowing down to one school. Not to mention there are also people waiting on alternate list movement 😭

They gotta be testing us.. but honestly definitely have something to do with the new Savannah campus.

I just wonder what the hold up is. They’ve been messing up a lot this cycle tbh and really need to get the assignments out so people can be informed before narrowing down to one school. Not to mention there are also people waiting on alternate list movement 😭
Oh man, it sucks for us right now, but I can't image the fiasco that the waitlisted folks will face. We have less than 3 months before the first day of school :confused:

Oh man, it sucks for us right now, but I can't image the fiasco that the waitlisted folks will face. We have less than 3 months before the first day of school :confused:
I know right I’m hanging on by a thread right now. Fingers crossed this all gets sorted out by April 30. If not, idk what will happen 😩

• Care
Yeah I’m lowkey stressing cause I am on the alternate list and fear this may delay the timeline for when we can hopefully start getting accepted off of it🥲

Yeah I’m lowkey stressing cause I am on the alternate list and fear this may delay the timeline for when we can hopefully start getting accepted off of it🥲
I feel like they won’t move people off the WL until they have campus assignments sorted out & if that isn’t sorted by 04/30 they risk a lot of people going to other schools & if they delay notifying WL people then they risk WL people planning to go to other schools. I myself am on the WL for 2 schools & if I get off of the WL at both schools I’m not going to commit to a school that can’t tell me where I’ll be going or what my financial aid is with so little time to prepare.

Also… anyone trying to find last minute housing in Athens??? Good luck because I struggled in undergrad to find off campus (& on campus) housing & that was a few years ago & I’ve heard the problem has only gotten worse.

Reactions: 4 users
I think they're trying to work as fast as they can especially with the new campus but at the same time I think they know that as GA's only public school, it's whatever pace they wanna set

Reactions: 4 users
definitely, they’re in for a ride when UGA opens their medical school though

Last edited:
I think they're trying to work as fast as they can especially with the new campus but at the same time I think they know that as GA's only public school, it's whatever pace they wanna set
Exactly, they don’t have any competition for in state tuition which gives them so much advantage (versus the other school I’m WL at that has like 5 public med schools in the state, so they’re already going through their WL).

Hey guys I just realized maybe adcom has been at the Masters this past week haha and that’s why everything is delayed now

• Haha
Is anyone thinking of doing the pre-matriculation program? If not, why?

Is anyone thinking of doing the pre-matriculation program? If not, why?
Nah from what I've heard, prematriculation programs barely make a dent in giving you any kind of head start. After a short time, you're back at square one with everybody else. You learn the same things anyway whether you participate or not.
I want to actually relax and enjoy my last few months before my mental health is destroyed lol

Reactions: 8 users
i just saw in the matriculation agreement bout the financial aid counseling? do we have to do that with the financial aid lady

Has anyone heard how the new UGA school will affect the Athens campus students? It sounds like there might be two years of overlap between MCG and UGA on the health science campus and the dean of the Athens campus has been announced as the founding dean for UGA school of medicine.

anyone called this week about campus assignments?
I called on Tuesday and was told that they still have no exact date as to when all campus assignments will go out. Idk whats causing the holdup. :(

I called on Tuesday and was told that they still have no exact date as to when all campus assignments will go out. Idk whats causing the holdup. :(
That’s so frustrating, I’m sorry to all the A people who are going through this

• Care
So do accepted people have to commit to MCG by May 1? Possibly without knowing their campus assignment? That would be baddd. And why does most WL movement start on May 1 according to past cycles?

So do accepted people have to commit to MCG by May 1? Possibly without knowing their campus assignment? That would be baddd. And why does most WL movement start on May 1 according to past cycles?
because once accepted students commit (or withdraw from MCG), MCG knows how many seats they have open. Thus, theyy can start filling them up thru WL students

April 30th is the deadline so they will officially know after that how many seats to fill basically

Did anyone receive an email today about the assurance qcceptance pathway?

Did anyone receive an email today about the assurance qcceptance pathway?
I did smh. I’m not interested because I have an A somewhere else. But I want MCG! I’m honestly trying to figure out the right way to reject the offer and say I just want to be accepted directly. Because waiting another year to matriculate would be insane lol.

I did smh. I’m not interested because I have an A somewhere else. But I want MCG! I’m honestly trying to figure out the right way to reject the offer and say I just want to be accepted directly. Because waiting another year to matriculate would be insane lol.
What did they say in the email? Aqua life can you say too? Anybody else get it?

What did they say in the email? Aqua life can you say too? Anybody else get it?
“There are times during this process in which the admissions committee identifies applicants who fit the mission of MCG but may benefit from additional academic preparation prior to matriculating to medical school.

You are receiving this letter as the MCG admissions committee would like to offer you an alternative path to matriculate at MCG via our Early Assurance Acceptance Pathway. Applicants who accept this pathway will complete a one-year Master of Science in Medical Physiology at Augusta University. Students meeting Early Assurance Pathway requirements, as outlined below, will be offered matriculation with the MCG entering class of 2025.”

Then it goes on to list the program requirements and the steps to accept the offer. Etc.

“There are times during this process in which the admissions committee identifies applicants who fit the mission of MCG but may benefit from additional academic preparation prior to matriculating to medical school.

You are receiving this letter as the MCG admissions committee would like to offer you an alternative path to matriculate at MCG via our Early Assurance Acceptance Pathway. Applicants who accept this pathway will complete a one-year Master of Science in Medical Physiology at Augusta University. Students meeting Early Assurance Pathway requirements, as outlined below, will be offered matriculation with the MCG entering class of 2025.”

Then it goes on to list the program requirements and the steps to accept the offer. Etc.
Ah thank you!

I got the email about the early assurance program too (I'm on the WL). Does this mean I'm not on the waitlist anymore or is it just an additional offer?

I got the email about the early assurance program too (I'm on the WL). Does this mean I'm not on the waitlist anymore or is it just an additional offer?
I don’t think you are off the WL until they officially tell you that usually right before classes begin. At least that’s what it seems like from past years sdn threads. What was the deadline to accept the offer for the program?