2023-2024 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cannot believe it, my dream of becoming a doctor is gonna come true! I just got accepted around 10 minutes ago and I'm so excited!! If anyone was curious, I interviewed on 11/6 and had a 503 MCAT and 3.59 cGPA, 3.47 sGPA, and 3.71 graduate gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
o m g, i cannot believe it, i am going to be a doctor

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II, yall I never had an MMi interview, and im shaking

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II, yall I never had an MMi interview, and im shaking
It's cliche but my heart was racing before my first interviewer showed up but I calmed down and quickly realised that it was more of a professional conversation and to treat it like that. That made me far more relaxed for the rest of the interviews I had on the day. Just be yourself and do the best you can. Remember to practice those MMI question banks online too!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
so did anyone else get an invite to the MBS program

any current UIWSOM have their unit 1-2 power point slides and SOs that can share them, so this way I have an idea of what to expect when classes start, I would really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user
How long is the dean's presentation for those who did their interview virtually already?

Members don't see this ad :)
any current UIWSOM have their unit 1-2 power point slides and SOs that can share them, so this way I have an idea of what to expect when classes start, I would really appreciate it
Please don't do this...

I get that you want to have an IDEA of what to expect, but there's no point. If you're actually going here, just enjoy your time off. There's no point in "pre-studying". I can't stress this enough. This time off should be spent with loved ones and family. You won't get another GOOD chunk of time like this for a while.

Please don't do this...

I get that you want to have an IDEA of what to expect, but there's no point. If you're actually going here, just enjoy your time off. There's no point in "pre-studying". I can't stress this enough. This time off should be spent with loved ones and family. You won't get another GOOD chunk of time like this for a while.
I keep on hearing that but from personal experience its always better going into the semester not feeling overwhelmed especially when you consider yourself to be someone that feels that he takes longer to understand material than other people, and lol believe me I do plan on enjoying this time

I keep on hearing that but from personal experience its always better going into the semester not feeling overwhelmed especially when you consider yourself to be someone that feels that he takes longer to understand material than other people, and lol believe me I do plan on enjoying this time
I think the point is to not worry about being overwhelmed before you matriculate because you will be overwhelmed regardless haha

You might be ahead for a week before the curriculum catches up to you. Everyone else was able to get by, you will too!

I think the point is to not worry about being overwhelmed before you matriculate because you will be overwhelmed regardless haha

You might be ahead for a week before the curriculum catches up to you. Everyone else was able to get by, you will too!

This is correct. Regardless of what you do, you WILL feel overwhelmed.

Relax. Don't burn yourself out before even arriving at the start line. You're not the only person that takes longer to understand material. Speaking as one myself, please don't get worried. The professors, and faculty here are all incredibly welcoming and genuinely want you to succeed. They're NOT out here to GET you. They're here to make you a doctor.

to those who did the virtual interview, do we also get 2 minutes to get a understanding of the question?

anyone feel like they tanked 1/2 mmi stations and still got an A? Im like hyperanalyzing what I said

so i'm guessing you have committed to UIWSOM?
Not yet! I have one more interview scheduled next week to a school closer to my state. We'll see how that goes but I will most likely pay the deposit to hold my spot.

anyone feel like they tanked 1/2 mmi stations and still got an A? Im like hyperanalyzing what I said
I just did my interview yesterday and I definitely felt like I tanked 1 or 2 of the mmi stations. All we can do is wait and hope for the best 😭

Any last minute advice? I'm interviewing this Friday in-person (12/8/23) and to be honest I keep second-guessing myself on the MMIs :/

Any last minute advice? I'm interviewing this Friday in-person (12/8/23) and to be honest I keep second-guessing myself on the MMIs :/
The best thing is to be yourself and have a structure for answering ethical questions. Also, try to bring back your experiences as much as possible and show your personality. It was not as random as my other MMI interviews. Good luck!

I am pretty sure I had a below average response for one station and I got the A

Just finished the interview! The MMIs were super chill, and we got to talk to Dean Pham who is amazing! I will say just practice MMI and review traditional questions, but if you have any questions lemme know!

• Care
Just finished the interview! The MMIs were super chill, and we got to talk to Dean Pham who is amazing! I will say just practice MMI and review traditional questions, but if you have any questions lemme know!
Wait can I pm you? I also did my interview today and wanted to connect if possible!

Has anyone from the 12/4 virtual interview heard back yet?

Has anyone from the 12/4 virtual interview heard back yet?
I did the 12/8 in-person interview, but they told us that ideally they'll give out decisions prior to Christmas Day or 3 weeks, whichever happens first.

Can anyone explain as to why some people get virtual interview invites as opposed to in person?

Can anyone explain as to why some people get virtual interview invites as opposed to in person?
This school has both available that you can choose from, but the virtual one tends to get filled much quicker, so others are left with in-person dates (you can contact the admission team to see when the next virtual dates are open if you like). If you're asking why some people choose virtual over in-person, then it's most likely the cost of traveling and the stress that comes with it. Otherwise, both are the same, and many have been accepted from virtual and in-person interviews.

This school has both available that you can choose from, but the virtual one tends to get filled much quicker, so others are left with in-person dates (you can contact the admission team to see when the next virtual dates are open if you like). If you're asking why some people choose virtual over in-person, then it's most likely the cost of traveling and the stress that comes with it. Otherwise, both are the same, and many have been accepted from virtual and in-person interviews.

They told me that there are NO virtual dates available in the new year, so unless they were trying to force people to go in person or something else is going on, it’s strange that I was told that. I would have much preferred a slightly later date rather than hours and hours of flights, layovers, delays, etc

They told me that there are NO virtual dates available in the new year, so unless they were trying to force people to go in person or something else is going on, it’s strange that I was told that. I would have much preferred a slightly later date rather than hours and hours of flights, layovers, delays, etc
“Force people to go”?
I would say they prefer to meet you in person, to see how you interact with others and to give you a chance to see the school and the city. If you’re so far away that there are flight layovers, it might be valuable to you as well in choosing schools.

Honestly every admissions committee works in mysterious ways and this is just hypothetical but…

I wonder if they’re switching to in person only post new year to sorta “weed out” people that might not be as interested in seriously matriculating since we’re nearing the end of the cycle.

I definitely liked the mix of in person and virtual options offered here and hope more Texas schools offer it in the future

Early October when I reached out to them about virtual spots they told me there weren't any available until end of January 2024 so I'm not surprised now that slots are full. I just think naturally more spots for online appointments will fill quicker because just like you they don't want to go through the hassle of travel. So then most who are offered later interview dates are out of luck with that.

So my friend was invited to interview and was told they DID have virtual interview dates available and in-person. She reached out to the admissions office because she had the same issue of only seeing in-person interview dates on the website, but she said it's because they're still scheduling more interviews. She got lucky because she said some candidates canceled, so she could get a sooner virtual date.

It doesn't sound like they're gonna "force" anyone to just drop everything and travel to the school for interviews.

I'd say go in-person if you can afford it. It was great to talk to students in-person, and doing the MMIs in-person was great too. Dean Pham is amazing, it was great to speak with him and shake his hand haha. But I also agree that having virtual interviews makes the process more inclusive of various socioeconomic backgrounds

OOS A!! First A of the cycle!! Interviewed 12/4 virtual 🙏🏾

Reactions: 5 users