2023-2024 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that CUSOM won't consider applicants with any MCAT section being below 50%? My MCAT was a 508, but my CARS section was a 124. Should I not bother trying to apply to here?

I heard that CUSOM won't consider applicants with any MCAT section being below 50%? My MCAT was a 508, but my CARS section was a 124. Should I not bother trying to apply to here?
Well I have a 124 in CP and they just me a secondary, so I think you’ll be fine. I’m assuming if they sent me a secondary they’re at least considering me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and under-served populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation. * Briefly describe how your career goals align with the CUSOM Mission (4,000 character limit)

What three qualities will you bring to CUSOM which will enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities align with the CUSOM mission? (4,000 character limit)

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has distinct principles and practices. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (4,000 character limit)

The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and under-served populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation. * Briefly describe how your career goals align with the CUSOM Mission (4,000 character limit)

What three qualities will you bring to CUSOM which will enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities align with the CUSOM mission? (4,000 character limit)

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has distinct principles and practices. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (4,000 character limit)
That is a lot of characters...

I was sent an II last cycle and I had a subsection below 50%, don’t think it matters that much

I just received a rejection for having a section with 124. All of my other sections were 127+

I just received a rejection for having a section with 124. All of my other sections were 127+
Woah what?did you receive a secondary before the rejection? Someone above said they had a 124 and received a Secondary. What did the email say exactly?

Nope, I never received a secondary. They just said, "We have carefully reviewed your application and regret to inform you that we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you at this time." I am a little disappointed because it was one of my top schools, and I thought that they would overlook my one section because of my close to 4.0 GPA and extracurriculars.

Nope, I never received a secondary. They just said, "We have carefully reviewed your application and regret to inform you that we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you at this time." I am a little disappointed because it was one of my top schools, and I thought that they would overlook my one section because of my close to 4.0 GPA and extracurriculars.
That's so stressful, I'm sorry. I wonder if there was some other reason behind it since they didn't specify why. From @DoctorRatFink it seems like they're okay with a 124 subsection since they received a secondary.

That's so stressful, I'm sorry. I wonder if there was some other reason behind it since they didn't specify why. From @DoctorRatFink it seems like they're okay with a 124 subsection since they received a secondary.
Yeah I know, thats why I am confused. But my 124 was in B/B so that may be why. I sent an email though so hopefully I could get a better insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Copied Straight from AACOMAS Website on CUSOM page for Secondary Requirements:
  • "The most competitive applicants have overall MCAT scores at the 50th percentile or higher with a preferred score in the 50th percentile or higher in the Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems (BBFLS)".
For those above, it looks like you can have a sub score under 50% as long as your OVR is above 50% and your B/B is above 50%.

Copied Straight from AACOMAS Website on CUSOM page for Secondary Requirements:
  • "The most competitive applicants have overall MCAT scores at the 50th percentile or higher with a preferred score in the 50th percentile or higher in the Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems (BBFLS)".
For those above, it looks like you can have a sub score under 50% as long as your OVR is above 50% and your B/B is above 50%.
Oh wow, I did not catch that. Thanks for the clarification.

Well I have a 124 in CP and they just me a secondary, so I think you’ll be fine. I’m assuming if they sent me a secondary they’re at least considering me.
Did they send you an initial email stating they will send your application to a Pre-Screen Committee?

Just got another email stating that the Prescreen Committee recently met and decided that they cannot move forward with my application. They also said to let them know if I retake the MCAT, so that's definitely the problem. My journey ends here for CUSOM but gl everyone, I hope all yall crush your interviews and get that A!

They’re so random. My friend with a 505 with one section below a 125 got denied a secondary. I am at a 500 with one section below 125 and got a secondary. So random

They’re so random. My friend with a 505 with one section below a 125 got denied a secondary. I am at a 500 with one section below 125 and got a secondary. So random
I think it may depend on the section. Do you mind sharing which section you got below 125?

Anyone else struggling with the large character/word count on the secondary? It’s totally throwing me off and I’m nervous to submit mine because my responses are so short compared to the maximum.

Anyone else struggling with the large character/word count on the secondary? It’s totally throwing me off and I’m nervous to submit mine because my responses are so short compared to the maximum.
A few of my essays were about 2500-3000 so I wouldn't worry too much. As others have said quality over quantity. No one wants to read 4000 characters of fluff.

Reactions: 2 users
my essays were short as well don't feel alone

I had the same email, one section below 50%.

I had a pre-secondary screening email last week, and got offered a secondary application today. I had a sub 3.0 undergrad science GPA, but my MCAT was above 125 for every section. No idea what criteria they are using to screen candidates.

Did you get an II? Sorry wasn’t sure what this meant
Lol no sorry I’m stupid. I’m asking when will they start sending ll, I submitted secondary 6/6 and got a complete email 6/17, which said I should hear back in 3-4 weeks

Lol no sorry I’m stupid. I’m asking when will they start sending ll, I submitted secondary 6/6 and got a complete email 6/17, which said I should hear back in 3-4 weeks

Gotcha! I submitted 2 weeks after you and got a similar email but don’t have any further info about their timeline.

Has anyone got an II yet? I submitted my secondary mid-July.

Has anyone got an II yet? I submitted my secondary mid-July.

Nope. Submitted secondary first week of July. Complete email said we should hear something within 3-4 weeks but haven’t heard anything

I submitted my secondary early June and still nothing

I just received another email that my application is complete and ready for final review with admissions committee, similar to the one I received more than a month ago