2023-2024 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys know if there still sending interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

OOS II this morning! Really surprised honestly

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II! Complete end of August, LM 71, and they’re scheduling between last week of Feb to middle March. 🤭

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What does housing look like at Penn State? It looks like a lot of housing options appear to be within 30 min or so from Hershey. Do most students commute?

What does housing look like at Penn State? It looks like a lot of housing options appear to be within 30 min or so from Hershey. Do most students commute?

They have on campus housing which is super convenient as it is a short walk from the hospital. From what I heard there’s also apartment complexes nearby. Hershey is good, Hummelstown is nearby, and some students go farther to Harrisburg for a more urban environment but it’s a very small “city”. I don’t think there’s much public transportation in the area and it’s more suburbs so students probably commute with a car.

Not sure what the ratios are but I’m sure there’s plenty of students on campus and off campus

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea when the next round of decisions will be coming out?

Anyone have any idea when the next round of decisions will be coming out?
they usually send decisions at the beginning/end of each month, so probably some time next week if not tomorrow since they haven’t seemingly sent out any decisions since the end of january!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II this morning, really surprised lol

To anyone who already interviewed, what should we expect!

To those who've gotten to attend PSU's info sessions: Could anyone please comment on highlights? Anything that struck you as unique or important to be mindful of?

To those who've gotten to attend PSU's info sessions: Could anyone please comment on highlights? Anything that struck you as unique or important to be mindful of?

PM me I can send my notes

• Love
I've gotten a few messages asking for the info session notes so I'll just attach them here so anyone can reference. I can't promise that everything here is accurate but it was from the info sessions and word from students. Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

• PSUCOM INFO SESSION NOTES.docx
    17.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
About the interview Qs: I've heard they were MMI style. Did they ask ethical dilemma/scenario QS (like, "decide who gets the organ"/"your position on X issue"/"conflict with a coworker"), or was it more just about you/them ("why do you want to be a doctor"/"what's your favorite book"/"what do you like about PSU")?

About the interview Qs: I've heard they were MMI style. Did they ask ethical dilemma/scenario QS (like, "decide who gets the organ"/"your position on X issue"/"conflict with a coworker"), or was it more just about you/them ("why do you want to be a doctor"/"what's your favorite book"/"what do you like about PSU")?
They are not MMI style, its a 2-person panel with alternating questions. Every interviewee receives the same 5 and they are fairly generic. The most challenging part is they don't want you to include specifics from your application such as where you went to school or worked, etc.

Thanks Titan. Please allow me to clarify: I know it's 2 interviewers (not a MMI pannel), but by MMI format I just meant that you get a prompt, have 1-2 min to think, then 2-3min to reply. Is that the case, or is it a conversation?

My main question is, are they asking us about ethical dilemmas or hot topics in medicine, like in MMI, or is it questions about who you are and why you want to go to med school? (Perhaps that's what you meant by generic?)

Thanks Titan. Please allow me to clarify: I know it's 2 interviewers (not a MMI pannel), but by MMI format I just meant that you get a prompt, have 1-2 min to think, then 2-3min to reply. Is that the case, or is it a conversation?

My main question is, are they asking us about ethical dilemmas or hot topics in medicine, like in MMI, or is it questions about who you are and why you want to go to med school? (Perhaps that's what you meant by generic?)
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't really describe it as conversational, but it could vary depending on your interviewers. What you do with the 5 minutes per question is really up to you, there isn't any requirement on how you spend the time, just that each answer should be approximately 5 minutes. I don't believe they really even pay that much attention to the 5 minute mark necessarily, as long as all 5 questions are answered in your 25 allotted minutes. It's been a while since I interviewed so I don't really remember the specific questions so maybe someone else could jump in and give a better answer in that regard. I do remember that none of the questions were overly specific. I would be prepared to answer questions about the importance of diversity and humanities in medicine, why you want to pursue medicine, etc. There weren't any specific scenarios like who should get the organ etc. though.

Reactions: 1 users

I forget if there was an NDA but because it’s completely standardized 5 questions we aren’t allowed to share details about what the expect from the questions. My recommendation is practicing closed interview questions and thinking of many examples in your life you could use to answer scenario/“tell me about a time” questions.

I forget if there was an NDA but because it’s completely standardized 5 questions we aren’t allowed to share details about what the expect from the questions. My recommendation is practicing closed interview questions and thinking of many examples in your life you could use to answer scenario/“tell me about a time” questions.
Answering questions with biographical or personal relevant details as examples is the norm from what I understand. How do we do that without sharing specific information from our application? Just by avoiding names of institutions, etc?

Answering questions with biographical or personal relevant details as examples is the norm from what I understand. How do we do that without sharing specific information from our application? Just by avoiding names of institutions, etc?

Instead of saying “As a dermatology MA at XYZ hospital” say “As an MA” or “As a derm MA.” I very much feel like they’re not trying to see your achievements/extracurriculars and more trying to who you are outside of those and see how you approach situations which is why it felt like an MMI

To current PennState students: if possible, I'd love to hear how you've experienced the humanities components of PSU. I've observed seemingly similar curriculum components discussed at other schools, but while I've heard it's special/taken seriously at PS, right now the "Humanities in Context" descriptions just feel like words. I wonder how it is on the ground. Thanks!

I received an OOS II yesterday, 03/04/2024, and my application was completed on 08/27/2023. I just declined my interview, hoping it goes to another deserving applicant soon! Best of luck with the rest of the cycle, everyone!

Reactions: 12 users
ACCEPTANCE TODAY :,) AHHHH

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just received a post-interview hold, does anyone have an idea of the outlook from here?

Do we think there's gonna be another round of emails today? Do they stagger acceptances? Still hoping :dead:

Last edited:
Just received a post-interview hold, does anyone have an idea of the outlook from here?
i was put on hold in January and was accepted today! seems like there’s been a lot of post II hold movement this cycle compared to previous years!

• Love
i was put on hold in January and was accepted today! seems like there’s been a lot of post II hold movement this cycle compared to previous years!
I was also put on hold then. Did you send them anything?

Penn state doesn’t accept pre-II updates right? Just wanted to check since their site says that but they’re one of my top choices.