2023-2024 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL as well on the portal

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WL😭😭 does anyone know chances of getting off the waitlist / how much weight a letter of intent would hold at this point ?

Last edited:
  • Care
WL does anyone know chances of getting off the waitlist / how much wait a letter of intent would hold at this point ?
They give stats on the waitlist page: 12 to 20 is expected off the waitlist. 250 are WL and by June there are 50 people on the WL (by choice or by committee).

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted. Pleasantly surprised tbh, was fully expecting a rejection

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
+1 post-II R just now (through e-mail and in portal before). Interviewed mid-October. Letters of intent were not enough. 525 MCAT 3.79 GPA 3000+ clinical hours 3000+ research and multiple CNS pubs and my cycle has ended with 5 post-II Rs. I’m officially a re-applicant and would appreciate any advice, especially with applying early decision next cycle… thanks y’all

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They give stats on the waitlist page: 12 to 20 is expected off the waitlist. 250 are WL and by June there are 50 people on the WL (by choice or by committee).
Thank you I hadn’t looked at that yet. Does anyone think an LOI would help? Historically does Penn give any preference to WL apps that submit one?

Damn looks like WL movement won't start till around June and the school I currently plan on matriculating at has a CTE deadline in mid June :/ This sux

• Care
tough to get a WL but i’m thankful to still be in it <3 congrats to the A’s and to the R’s yall are just as deserving and will make amazing doctors Penn just couldn’t handle yall’s hotness

Reactions: 3 users
Damn looks like WL movement won't start till around June and the school I currently plan on matriculating at has a CTE deadline in mid June :/ This sux
Literally the school I plan on right now starts early July and they take people off the WL at Penn till AUGUST like let’s coordinate a bit here guys

I thought they said that they typically start in May. "Generally, waitlist acceptances are not made until May"

I thought they said that they typically start in May. "Generally, waitlist acceptances are not made until May"
I didn’t see anyone from last years thread who got off WL but maybe they just didn’t post

Oh their wording is a bit confusing then...not sure why they added that part about cutting their waitlist down to 50 in June

WL. honestly so sad I know it’s not an R but Penn was by far my top choice

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
A little confused about this wording on the WL FAQ: “The Perelman School of Medicine, like all medical schools, will not offer a place to a candidate who has begun enrollment or committed to enroll in another medical school.” Does this mean we will not be considered if we “plan to enroll” at another school, or is it just “commit to enroll?” One school I have an acceptance to has a PTE deadline 5/1 and a CTE deadline 6/24.

A little confused about this wording on the WL FAQ: “The Perelman School of Medicine, like all medical schools, will not offer a place to a candidate who has begun enrollment or committed to enroll in another medical school.” Does this mean we will not be considered if we “plan to enroll” at another school, or is it just “commit to enroll?” One school I have an acceptance to has a PTE deadline 5/1 and a CTE deadline 6/24.
No, just commit to enroll!

+1 post-II R just now (through e-mail and in portal before). Interviewed mid-October. Letters of intent were not enough. 525 MCAT 3.79 GPA 3000+ clinical hours 3000+ research and multiple CNS pubs and my cycle has ended with 5 post-II Rs. I’m officially a re-applicant and would appreciate any advice, especially with applying early decision next cycle… thanks y’all
Sorry man— truly.

In the portal, is the "acceptance statement" binding or is it just telling us what to expect if we choose enroll and we are certifying that we understand that?

In the portal, is the "acceptance statement" binding or is it just telling us what to expect if we choose enroll and we are certifying that we understand that?
I had a similar question. I filled it because I thought it was an acknowledgment of your acceptance in the class and it mentioned that you had to commit to enroll and pay a deposit to fully be considered in the class

I had a similar question. I filled it because I thought it was an acknowledgment of your acceptance in the class and it mentioned that you had to commit to enroll and pay a deposit to fully be considered in the class
Ok sweet. I did too. There is a withdraw button too so it must not be binding

Does anyone know what is the average aid/scholarship Penn gives? Can I be hopeful? Outside the 30 full ride scholarships.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone on the WL know which tier they're in? My letter says the WL is unranked but I'm just wondering if they would tell you if you were considered top of the WL. Have they invited anyone to preview from WL?

At first I thought maybe there was possibly some subliminal message when they wrote "The Committee members found you to be a very highly qualified applicant and have thus placed you on the waitlist for admission" but then I realize this was mega cope

At first I thought maybe there was possibly some subliminal message when they wrote "The Committee members found you to be a very highly qualified applicant and have thus placed you on the waitlist for admission" but then I realize this was mega cope
yep. How nice of them to have found so many of us highly qualified

Notified of 21st Century Scholarship about 15 minutes ago! Ended up in my spam

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Notified of 21st Century Scholarship about 15 minutes ago! Ended up in my spam
Congratulations! that was quick. Since you are SES, did they give you room and board also?

Last edited:
Congratulations! that was quick. Since you are SES, did they give you room and board also?
The scholarship itself only covers tuition, but my understanding is that it can stack with need-based aid given that part of the email reads "Our Financial Aid Office is committed to supporting your ability to attend medical school and will provide an additional letter detailing your entire financial aid package for the year, including this award and any additional need-based scholarships." In the scenario that you get both the scholarship and substantial need-based aid, I think you can hit full cost of attendance.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
+1 for 21st Century Scholarship!

• Love
If any current students can share, how much need based aid in scholarships does Penn give to students from low SES?

21st century isnt something you apply for right? and something you don't need to submit fafsa or CSS profile for?

21st century isnt something you apply for right? and something you don't need to submit fafsa or CSS profile for?
No separate application and not contingent on other financial aid portals. Everybody admitted is considered

Have they all been announced, any way to know?

Fin aid director emailed me and said that you can get up to 30k a year beyond tuition expenses if you get the scholarship + aid