2023-2024 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II on friday, scheduled for late march. are we more or less interviewing for a waitlist position at this point in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
To current PennState students: if possible, I'd love to hear how you've experienced the humanities components of PSU. I've observed seemingly similar curriculum components discussed at other schools, but while I've heard it's special/taken seriously at PS, right now the "Humanities in Context" descriptions just feel like words. I wonder how it is on the ground. Thanks!
Every humanities course is taught in small groups, so people's experiences will vary greatly. I'll add that I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences, and it has led to great discussions. It's a lot of buzzwords (i.e., intersectionality, social construct), but there are some pretty interesting topics like AI in medicine and "how diseases are determined to be diseases." However, if humanities is not your thing, you can sit away from the facilitator and crank out a bunch of anki cards for two hours. The assignments/exams are minimal but annoying when they do appear.

Regardless, humanities and health systems are LCME requirements, so even if you ultimately choose to attend a different medical school you should expect these courses. At PSCOM, the difference is that our facilitators are die-hard about the material and are always willing to share personal stories, making the conversations more interesting (aka less painful).

If anyone else has any other questions, feel free to ask them here. I'm overwhelmed with PMs atm so this would honestly be faster.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, congrats to everyone who was recently accepted or invited to interview!

Stay strong, the application cycle is almost over. Just know that I know literally no one here who regrets coming here.

(Also that Reddit post a few days ago about Hershey med was total bull****. All of those numbers were made up and it wasn't even close to being accurate. We have consistently had well above board scores/pass rates with better attrition rates. It shows in how well we match compared to other schools in our "tier".)

Last edited:
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Every humanities course is taught in small groups, so people's experiences will vary greatly. I'll add that I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences, and it has led to great discussions. It's a lot of buzzwords (i.e., intersectionality, social construct), but there are some pretty interesting topics like AI in medicine and "how diseases are determined to be diseases." However, if humanities is not your thing, you can sit away from the facilitator and crank out a bunch of anki cards for two hours. The assignments/exams are minimal but annoying when they do appear.

Regardless, humanities and health systems are LCME requirements, so even if you ultimately choose to attend a different medical school you should expect these courses. At PSCOM, the difference is that our facilitators are die-hard about the material and are always willing to share personal stories, making the conversations more interesting (aka less painful).

If anyone else has any other questions, feel free to ask them here. I'm overwhelmed with PMs atm so this would honestly be faster.
Hello and thank you so much! I have been increasingly interested in the UP program, but unfortunately did not indicate my interest in my secondary application. While waiting to hear back from Penn State right now, I have been wondering - if I am lucky enough to get accepted, would I still have a chance to apply to the UP program? In the past, when do they finalize the new class for the UP program?

Hello and thank you so much! I have been increasingly interested in the UP program, but unfortunately did not indicate my interest in my secondary application. While waiting to hear back from Penn State right now, I have been wondering - if I am lucky enough to get accepted, would I still have a chance to apply to the UP program? In the past, when do they finalize the new class for the UP program?

Not sure if it’ll still be the case but after I was accepted just a month ago I got an email asking if I wanted to interview with UP. One of my interviewers was also from UP and asked if I wanted additional contacts so I wouldn’t say it’s too late unless their class is full. Def worth emailing admissions maybe?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if it’ll still be the case but after I was accepted just a month ago I got an email asking if I wanted to interview with UP. One of my interviewers was also from UP and asked if I wanted additional contacts so I wouldn’t say it’s too late unless their class is full. Def worth emailing admissions maybe?
The UP admissions people are very good at ensuring everyone gets a fair chance of being considered. Of course, it's rolling admissions so your chance decreases with time but they make their late decisions mid-May so they can interview anyone who is accepted in March/April.

Your other question about being interested but not indicating it on the AMCAS, your best bet is to reach out to them directly once you hear a decision from Hershey

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
A couple extra Qs please:
  1. I know people say interviews are closed, so definetly no grades/MCAT, and people said they don't know your prior schools. Do interviewers have access to your application essays?
  2. What's the process for getting admitted to the 3yr programs? If you indicated interest in your application, do they invite you for another interview after the one everyone does, or is there some other process?

A couple extra Qs please:
  1. I know people say interviews are closed, so definetly no grades/MCAT, and people said they don't know your prior schools. Do interviewers have access to your application essays?
  2. What's the process for getting admitted to the 3yr programs? If you indicated interest in your application, do they invite you for another interview after the one everyone does, or is there some other process?

1. Nope they get nothing at all
2. Not really sure but once you get accepted they ask you what program you’re interested in and all the available 3 yr were there. I assume from there you get invited to interview. They did remove a lot of the 3 year options I think so there weren’t a lot

1. Nope they get nothing at all
2. Not really sure but once you get accepted they ask you what program you’re interested in and all the available 3 yr were there. I assume from there you get invited to interview. They did remove a lot of the 3 year options I think so there weren’t a lot
Yes, moving forward, the 3 years will all be primary care focused. Same number of spots from what I understand, but only in FM, IM, and psych

Is there any possibility of receiving a merit scholarship/financial aid after getting off the waitlist? or if you get off are you essentially expected to pay full tuition?

Is there any possibility of receiving a merit scholarship/financial aid after getting off the waitlist? or if you get off are you essentially expected to pay full tuition?
Lower chance but still a chance. Some scholarships are given out during the Fall (diversity scholarships, etc...).

Members don't see this ad :)
For the 3+ tracks (FM, IM, Psych) do those students participate in the match? Or do they get to skip it and just go to Hershey residencies?

I had assumed it was the latter but wanted to double check.

For the 3+ tracks (FM, IM, Psych) do those students participate in the match? Or do they get to skip it and just go to Hershey residencies?

I had assumed it was the latter but wanted to double check.
You participate in the match but it’s a formality. No other program will interview you because you would only have 3 years and not 4

for those that have been accepted, how long did it take for you to receive info to setup your psu email

Can anyone speak on their experience during the interview? I've heard its 5 questions and they give 5 minutes each, but is it conversational? or more like mmi? Any information would be super helpful

Can anyone speak on their experience during the interview? I've heard its 5 questions and they give 5 minutes each, but is it conversational? or more like mmi? Any information would be super helpful
Scroll back through this thread there is helpful info about the interview experience. Its more like MMI IMO, for me it wasn't conversational

Every medical school has problems. Withdraw your app now

Do not attend. Problems run deep here. Students are afraid. Things have slowly declined for about 3 years now. Do not attend.
Someone’s on the waitlist trying to do whatever they can to get accepted 😂😂

Reactions: 6 users
But yes, every school is gonna have its pros and cons. I’ve been nothing but honest with y’all about my experience and will continue to be because it makes no sense for me to recruit you on lies. If I did, you hate the school and you won’t do as well. It’s a lose-lose situation.

Feel free to ask me any questions on this thread or reach out to the admissions dept to get connect with current students

Do not attend. Problems run deep here. Students are afraid. Things have slowly declined for about 3 years now. Do not attend.

Would you be willing to share more or PM me if you prefer privately? Currently deciding between PSU and another program so any info would be helpful

To be honest I had a lot more typed up but I am scared of retaliation if my identity is discovered. My account was made several days ago and since then I have typed and deleted multiple versions of what I wanted to post. Sorry if this post still seems vague but please understand posting at all is very dangerous.

Many of the issues present at PSCOM are not typical of most schools. I would say that the issues at PSCOM are similar to those which have been reported at Nova Southeastern. A reddit post about that school says "a big theme was awful admin, disorganization, etc... anyone succeeding there was doing so in spite of the school." I think this is an accurate way to describe PSCOM in 2024.

The first thing that I will say is that the attitude of the student body is not good. I would say it is wary, anxious and at times angry. The newer classes are not cooperative and friendly like you hear about many P/F schools. There are many good people too but the social climate will probably disappoint you if you come here. The Astro person is strange to me because they claim to be from the MS1 class but have been consistently positive about the school. In particular the comment "I know literally no one here who regrets coming here" makes me distrust them, because even those who have a more positive personal opinion of PSCOM will know multiple people who do not. I am not sure if they have ulterior motives or if they are ignorant of the people around them. But at least they were correct about the reddit post from last week, which claimed things that are not true.

It is difficult to discuss specific issues without putting myself or my friends at risk. I think that one of the biggest issues is that rules are applied unevenly. Favoritism is an element but I think it is truly unpredictable at all levels. I am not comfortable providing specific examples, but this is severe. Things that are minor and which would be resolved easily or simply ignored in any workplace can cause serious harm to you at PSCOM. At the same time, certain people get away with too much.

I had choices. I chose PSCOM and I regret it. I think that if you also have choices then you should go somewhere else. Including most DO schools.
Just got out of the renal exam so I'm tired, and if I fail to address something, lmk.

"a big theme was awful admin, disorganization, etc... anyone succeeding there was doing so in spite of the school." This could be the tagline for any med school in the country lol. The school makes mistakes but they own up to them when they do. I'm thinking of how some students got screwed over with a demanding community hours schedule. They basically scarped the entire thing when students gave them valid criticism. Yes, there is disorganization and some of the admin is awful, but they fix it as best they can. From my understanding, Nova doesn't fix their problems.

Also, in that Reddit post, the OP stated they didn't even go to our school (and you skipped over like the five current students who go here that all debunked those claims line for line).

"The newer classes are not cooperative and friendly like you hear about many P/F schools." This is the big clue of how I know you don't go here. Have you seen our class drive? Groups of students work together to condense every single LO from every single lecture and PBL case. Every class does it themselves as it would be academic dishonesty to share between classes, but every class doing it themselves proves how much collaboration is valued here. Another example is the anatomy anki decks for our AIGs so you know exactly what you need to study and when. A third example, M2s + M3s spend hours creating weekly practice questions for the M1s (shoutout to them) to let us know what's high yield for real life, step exams, and for the school. They don't have to do that (and they are unpaid btw) but they want to do that. (Also, "newer classes": curriculum changed so the beef you might have as an M4/M3 would not apply to any premeds looking to go to the school now.)

I'll admit that as a class we are probs anxious at times, but who isn't? That's just life. We all worked our butts off to be where we are at and don't want to lose it. I have friends at Harvard Med who complain about their student body being anxious and I have friends at LECOM complaining about the same thing. This is a universal experience for med students because this is literally the hardest type of grad school you can do. It's inherently anxiety-provoking. While some people might be more susceptible to anxiety than others, but overall, everyone is stressed because what we are trying to achieve ain't easy.

Sure, maybe some people hate the school, and I am not aware of them. Super valid, I'll give you that. But at least in my immediate friend group, many of us turned down "higher" ranked schools to go here and we have no regrets. There are definitely people struggling mentally or academically, but that's med school unfortunately and maybe they hate the school for putting them through a rigorous curriculum. But you will find that everywhere. At least our student gov does a hell of a good job making sure everything we are anxious about is addressed (i.e., FPCC being added to our calendar last second this week due to an admin error, but they got it moved to Zoom).

"The Astro person is strange to me because they claim to be from the MS1 class" My identity is not a secret. If you go here, head to the school discord page (which can only be accessed by psh email btw) and find me. You will see this online nametag next to my real name. Feel free to say hi. (Also, who goes onto a med school forum and talks positively about a school they don't even go to? That doesn't make sense lol....)

"It is difficult to discuss specific issues without putting myself or my friends at risk. I think that one of the biggest issues is that rules are applied unevenly. Favoritism is an element but I think it is truly unpredictable at all levels. I am not comfortable providing specific examples, but this is severe. Things that are minor and which would be resolved easily or simply ignored in any workplace can cause serious harm to you at PSCOM. At the same time, certain people get away with too much." I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable sharing specific details due to fear of retaliation against you. That's super valid. But you gotta understand you can't make big accusations without backing up your claims. Even though you won't/can't give specifics, I'll try my best to explain why I don't agree with that.

PSCOM always gives us the benefit of the doubt. For example, with the EBM exam, some exam questions were in an old study guide from a previous iteration of the class. They gave everyone points for those questions because they knew it was an unfair advantage for those who did that random study guide. If there was favoritism for certain students or policies not being followed consistently, the EBM professor would have easily removed those questions or just let it be, but instead they gave everyone 11 free points on a 25 question exam.

If you are talking about the community hour placements, again, that was scraped because the admin realized it was a complete ****show from their end. That is the only other time I can think of favoritism being played. If there was favoritism, it was very temporary.

A lot of your criticisms come off as things premeds would worry about, people who don't go here think, and frankly, failures of broader med school.

As always, if you have questions/concerns, feel free to ask them!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Gorgeous match results as always….
Now take me off hold!! 😭

Just got out of the renal exam so I'm tired, and if I fail to address something, lmk.

"a big theme was awful admin, disorganization, etc... anyone succeeding there was doing so in spite of the school." This could be the tagline for any med school in the country lol. The school makes mistakes but they own up to them when they do. I'm thinking of how some students got screwed over with a demanding community hours schedule. They basically scarped the entire thing when students gave them valid criticism. Yes, there is disorganization and some of the admin is awful, but they fix it as best they can. From my understanding, Nova doesn't fix their problems.

Also, in that Reddit post, the OP stated they didn't even go to our school (and you skipped over like the five current students who go here that all debunked those claims line for line).

"The newer classes are not cooperative and friendly like you hear about many P/F schools." This is the big clue of how I know you don't go here. Have you seen our class drive? Groups of students work together to condense every single LO from every single lecture and PBL case. Every class does it themselves as it would be academic dishonesty to share between classes, but every class doing it themselves proves how much collaboration is valued here. Another example is the anatomy anki decks for our AIGs so you know exactly what you need to study and when. A third example, M2s + M3s spend hours creating weekly practice questions for the M1s (shoutout EF, NS, and BT from Cardio) to let us know what's high yield for real life, step exams, and for the school. They don't have to do that (and they are unpaid btw) but they want to do that. (Also, "newer classes": curriculum changed so the beef you might have as an M4/M3 would not apply to any premeds looking to go to the school now.)

I'll admit that as a class we are probs anxious at times, but who isn't? That's just life. We all worked our butts off to be where we are at and don't want to lose it. I have friends at Harvard Med who complain about their student body being anxious and I have friends at LECOM complaining about the same thing. This is a universal experience for med students because this is literally the hardest type of grad school you can do. It's inherently anxiety-provoking. While some people might be more susceptible to anxiety than others, but overall, everyone is stressed because what we are trying to achieve ain't easy.

Sure, maybe some people hate the school, and I am not aware of them. Super valid, I'll give you that. But at least in my immediate friend group, many of us turned down "higher" ranked schools to go here and we have no regrets. There are definitely people struggling mentally or academically, but that's med school unfortunately and maybe they hate the school for putting them through a rigorous curriculum. But you will find that everywhere. At least our student gov does a hell of a good job making sure everything we are anxious about is addressed (i.e., FPCC being added to our calendar last second this week due to an admin error, but they got it moved to Zoom).

"The Astro person is strange to me because they claim to be from the MS1 class" My identity is not a secret. If you go here, head to the school discord page (which can only be accessed by psh email btw) and find me. You will see this online nametag next to my real name. Feel free to say hi. (Also, who goes onto a med school forum and talks positively about a school they don't even go to? That doesn't make sense lol....)

"It is difficult to discuss specific issues without putting myself or my friends at risk. I think that one of the biggest issues is that rules are applied unevenly. Favoritism is an element but I think it is truly unpredictable at all levels. I am not comfortable providing specific examples, but this is severe. Things that are minor and which would be resolved easily or simply ignored in any workplace can cause serious harm to you at PSCOM. At the same time, certain people get away with too much." I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable sharing specific details due to fear of retaliation against you. That's super valid. But you gotta understand you can't make big accusations without backing up your claims. Even though you won't/can't give specifics, I'll try my best to explain why I don't agree with that.

PSCOM always gives us the benefit of the doubt. For example, with the EBM exam, some exam questions were in an old study guide from a previous iteration of the class. They gave everyone points for those questions because they knew it was an unfair advantage for those who did that random study guide. If there was favoritism for certain students or policies not being followed consistently, the EBM professor would have easily removed those questions or just let it be, but instead they gave everyone 11 free points on a 25 question exam.

If you are talking about the community hour placements, again, that was scraped because the admin realized it was a complete ****show from their end. That is the only other time I can think of favoritism being played. If there was favoritism, it was very temporary.

A lot of your criticisms come off as things premeds would worry about, people who don't go here think, and frankly, failures of broader med school.

As always, if you have questions/concerns, feel free to ask them!

To prove that I am a student I will say that yesterday the Associate Dean of Student Affairs sent an email to all classes with the subject line "Match EVE!!". This should be enough.

You point to an exam which is outside of the main content blocks. You will find that the main content blocks are not always so forgiving. Sometimes they are. I actually think that the majority of course directors either are diligent about creating fair tests or will fix them if they have problems. But not all of them are like that. Again I will decline to give specifics because I will not put people at risk. You should also avoid naming people in your posts. Even by initials.

"PSCOM always gives us the benefit of the doubt" is untrue. Very untrue.

You have not talked to many students from other schools if you believe that things are normal here.

I have to go now. Plugging your ears does not make the problems at PSCOM go away.

Also, last night, a different MS1 posted anonymously, agreeing with my original post. It seems they deleted it since then. Fear of retaliation. I will probably also delete my posts soon. Heed my warnings.
You both should meet on campus and square up

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
To prove that I am a student I will say that yesterday the Associate Dean of Student Affairs sent an email to all classes with the subject line "Match EVE!!". This should be enough.

You point to an exam which is outside of the main content blocks. You will find that the main content blocks are not always so forgiving. Sometimes they are. I actually think that the majority of course directors either are diligent about creating fair tests or will fix them if they have problems. But not all of them are like that. Again I will decline to give specifics because I will not put people at risk. You should also avoid naming people in your posts. Even by initials.

"PSCOM always gives us the benefit of the doubt" is untrue. Very untrue.

You have not talked to many students from other schools if you believe that things are normal here.

I have to go now. Plugging your ears does not make the problems at PSCOM go away.

Also, last night, a different MS1 posted anonymously, agreeing with my original post. It seems they deleted it since then. Fear of retaliation. I will probably also delete my posts soon. Heed my warnings.
I’m sorry you haven’t had a positive experience and I hope it gets better (aka admin gets off you plate). Maybe when I get to rotations, it’s also gonna get to me. Who knows? But I do know I don’t (currently) regret that I came here.

I’ll still fight that claim that we aren’t a collaborative class to my bone because that’s just not even close to my experience.

I got this great PM, and I wanted to share my answer to their question publically (with their permission, of course)!

"I also wanted to understand how difficult the exams generally are. I know the materials can be dense, but do they feel overwhelming? Do you think that the collaborative study guides and individual preparations are sufficient to help you pass these exams, especially since they’re not NBME and were created by the course directors? I wanted to know if instructors purposely make them challenging or if the preparation you do through the lectures and the common 3rd party materials (for the STEP) is enough as study materials for the pre-clinical year."

Med school exams are a different beast. You will feel like you are studying non-stop and then do practice questions and get 50%. It can be super disheartening at times. But that's just because medicine has gotten so complex in the past few decades and we know more about the physiologic pathways we are designing drugs to target. At times, I feel super overwhelmed, and what I have found that works for me is reviewing the entire week's lectures every Saturday morning (I always take Friday and Saturday evenings off). Reviewing will take 4-6 hours, but it helps keep things fresh. So when I start preparing for block exams, I have already put in 20 hours.

Once the exam gets closer, I start relying on condensed study guides (because they are organized well with lots of tables and charts so I don't have to spend time staring at PowerPoints) and the PBL guides. Maybe 3-4 days before the exam and always the day before the exam, I spend the entire day with friends where we go over topics we are struggling with and we verbally quiz each other.

Everyone works hard and everyone struggles on the exams. They are just beasts with the amount of nitty-gritty information you need to understand. The only people who I know personally that are struggling are people who tend to only do 3rd party resources. They will have a headstart when it comes to dedication (a big pro), but they are sacrificing their grade upfront a bit (a big con). However, it's pass/fail so their 70% counts the same as the try-hard gunner's 99.9999%. I'm taking a blended approach where I'm still doing about 10-15 hours of 3rd party stuff during the week, but I use the weekends to really focus on in-house.

In my opinion, the exams are fair (except for Cardio, which sucked; cardio is nationally the hardest subject for med students and it was tough for me too personally). Plus, they give back points on poorly worded questions or if there were multiple correct answers. The grade you walk out of the exam room with is always 5-10% lower than the actual score because the short answers (like 3 sentences, no true essays) are mostly free points and you can bank on some points back. I have no idea what the fail rate is for each exam but I would be shocked if it was more than 2-3 people per exam.

If there was a Venn diagram of two circles, one being in-house content and the other being 3rd party, there is probably an 85% overlap. PSCOM tends to highlight diseases that students are more likely to see during rotations (like cystic fibrosis and maple syrup urine disease given the genetic predispositions of the local community) than 3rd party resources will. So yes, our curriculum is not a true NBME and I wished it was, but they do a decent job highlighting things we should expect on board exams while still testing you on things you are more likely to see given the healthcare needs of central PA. I view this as a good thing (as I care more about providing excellent patient care than I do board scores), but those who only do 3rd parties get frustrated by this.

In terms of Step 1 exams, students have always done better than national averages (both pre-P/F score and pass rate era) and our Step 2 average is really strong too. I have heard from M2s who just took Step 1 last month that the two blocks leading up to dedicated have a lot of review of older materials. (Our stellar match lists prove there must be some method to the madness. Regardless, there will always be a few people who fail or get low Step 2 scores. There are a lot of external factors that can negatively impact your academic performance - mental health, family, research obligations - that no one ever expects.)

TLDR: Exams will always feel overwhelming because there is an insane amount of information you/everyone needs to know for both in-house exams and boards. Everyone will figure out their balance of 3rd party and in-house material that allows them to meet their definition of success.

Reactions: 4 users
Is this school done with interviews? Haven't been rejected yet

Reactions: 7 users
bruh, it shouldn't be legal for the interview check-in session to be at 4:30 AM PST.

IS II yesterday. My email went to spam and I did not know that I got an interview until they emailed me to say my application was withdrawn for not responding in one business day 🙃. Check your spam friends.

• Wow
  • Sad
I think they release decisions 6-8 weeks after the interview date according to the application portal. I hope it’s not actually that long though because I interviewed in March.

Has anyone who interviewed in Feb heard back yet?
Interviewed in mid-February. I thought they might release some decisions next week or the week after. Someone mentioned they release decisions at the beginning and/or the end of every month.
I checked previous years' threads. For many of those interviewed in early/mid-February, Penn State released decisions on March 30 (Thu) in 2023, Apr 4 (Mon) in 2022, Apr 2 (Fri) in 2021, March 27 (Fri) in 2020, and Mar 29 (Fri) in 2019. No guarantee that they will do the same this year, but just FYI.
As you can tell, this waiting process drives me a bit crazy 🥲

Interviewed in mid-February. I thought they might release some decisions next week or the week after. Someone mentioned they release decisions at the beginning and/or the end of every month.
I checked previous years' threads. For many of those interviewed in early/mid-February, Penn State released decisions on March 30 (Thu) in 2023, Apr 4 (Mon) in 2022, Apr 2 (Fri) in 2021, March 27 (Fri) in 2020, and Mar 29 (Fri) in 2019. No guarantee that they will do the same this year, but just FYI.
As you can tell, this waiting process drives me a bit crazy 🥲
soooo basically sometime next week or the week after :rofl:

happens to the best of us. stay strong, we're nearing the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Care
does anyone have an interview advice here (that you're allowed to share)?
make sure you answer all parts of the question and are familiar with their mission statement/curriculum. be ready to talk about your experiences when answering the questions as well (providing specific examples and what you learned from them). good luck!!