2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So in regards to what you said earlier about the exam retaking policy, what happens if you fail an exam? Do you just take the L and move on or what?

there are NO retakes at this school ever. You take the L, and have to bust your ass hard on the next 2 comp exams to make up ur grade: not only pass but aim high if you want to pass FOM. This is the problem that has been pushing students into remediation.

Members don't see this ad.

there are NO retakes at this school ever. You take the L, and have to bust your ass hard on the next 2 comp exams to make up ur grade: not only pass but aim high if you want to pass FOM. This is the problem that has been pushing students into remediation.
Can you please explain what comp, FOM, and remediation are? Thank you for your responses!

Can you please explain what comp, FOM, and remediation are? Thank you for your responses!
Comps are what we call our exams. The semester is divided into three blocks. At the end of each block we have an anatomy exam (comp), and an FOM exam (comp) which comprises everything else. There are also pre-comps every two weeks or so that are "mini-exams", but they're worth only 5% of your grades. FOM refers to the name of the entire course, Foundations of Medicine, which is basically our first semester. Remediation is a set of classes students take in the spring semester if you failed FOM in the first semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II

Can someone who already interviewed PM me who you chose to interview with and your thoughts about them? Having to choose is a bit unnerving haha.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II

Can someone who already interviewed PM me who you chose to interview with and your thoughts about them? Having to choose is a bit unnerving haha.
Yea I would appreciate if someone could recommend the professor who's more chill to interview with? Can someone PM me too please!

Damn you guys have really high LMs

Members don't see this ad :)
Do students who remediate tend to eventually graduate and match, or is failing out of the program common?
I think only a few didn’t pass remediation last spring out of 26 students. Although even if you pass remediation, you will still be on academic probation for the repeat fall and spring semesters so you can’t fail anything.

can any current students speak on rotation sites? like how hard they are to secure, how much time you typically spend each day, location ? thanks :)

can any current students speak on rotation sites? like how hard they are to secure, how much time you typically spend each day, location ? thanks :)
Rotation sites are mainly in Nassau, Suffolk, queens, and Brooklyn at community hospitals. There are also some more elsewhere. You rank the locations you want for each rotation and the school tells you where you go. I think I got half at my number one and the the other half at numbers 2-3. Time commitment is going to depend greatly on which sites. I managed to go through all of 3rd year without doing weekends or nights but asking around, it seems that was unusual. Fourth year is at the same affiliated sites but you can also do away rotations. If you're interested in IM, FM, EM, or Pysch there are plenty of hospitals to choose from. If you are interested in anything else, there are a handful of rotations in other fields but you'll likely have to do aways.

Last edited:
does anyone know if/when NYIT drug tests prior to matriculation?

all medical schools perform a drug screen prior to matriculation including immunization and a general background check

all medical schools perform a drug screen prior to matriculation including immunization and a general background check
Apparently not NYIT. Can a current student speak on this, I’m also curious

Do you go to nyit?
No im just operating under what is the general rule of thumb from what I've seen / heard from other schools, but honestly even if by some chance NYITCOM does not require drug screening prior to matriculation you can bet your bottom dollar that at some point during your education whether residency or clerkship you will be required to submit drug screening.

No im just operating under what is the general rule of thumb from what I've seen / heard from other schools, but honestly even if by some chance NYITCOM does not require drug screening prior to matriculation you can bet your bottom dollar that at some point during your education whether residency or clerkship you will be required to submit drug screening.
Idk ive heard of plenty of other schools don't test before matriculation. Not talking about during school itself but ty for your input!

What do accepted students usually wear for campus tours?
Mine was very casual, sweatshirts, some people showed up in scrubs, others in a nicer top and jeans. It’s lowkey don’t stress

Things might have changed, but I never had to do a drug test. Some rotation sites require it though. There's a background check and some vaccines for which you only need paperwork proof. Before clinicals you'll need to get titers done though.

I think only a few didn’t pass remediation last spring out of 26 students. Although even if you pass remediation, you will still be on academic probation for the repeat fall and spring semesters so you can’t fail anything.
Just to prevent any confusion, this 26 number is Jonesboro specific. Old Westbury had a different number of students not pass FOM.

Last edited:
Guys relax, it’s New Year’s Eve… spend some time with fam and get some peace of mind. We can resume our anxiety after the new year haha

Reactions: 2 users
So my acceptance deposit is due on the 7th which I was planning on paying on Friday. However, I just got an acceptance to DMU. Which school do you guys think is better? I am an Maryland resident so NYIT is much closer to home.

So my acceptance deposit is due on the 7th which I was planning on paying on Friday. However, I just got an acceptance to DMU. Which school do you guys think is better? I am a Maryland resident so NYIT is much closer to home.
If you want to stay in the north east, 100% NYIT

If we were to not take location into account, would your opinion change?
while DMU is technically one of the top programs, both are good enough so it doesn't warrant uprooting your life and moving to the mid west. Just my opinion

Edit: unless you want to pursue a super comp specialty I'd go NYIT. But tbh NYIT has a pretty good match list and is considered a good school.

Anyone else spooked by the very steep tuition payment due 4/15? Does anyone know if it can be refunded if someone were to get off a waitlist elsewhere?

while DMU is technically one of the top programs, both are good enough so it doesn't warrant uprooting your life and moving to the mid west. Just my opinion

Edit: unless you want to pursue a super comp specialty I'd go NYIT. But tbh NYIT has a pretty good match list and is considered a good school.
I think surgery is my top specialty as of now but I think NYIT had many students match into that before

Anyone else spooked by the very steep tuition payment due 4/15? Does anyone know if it can be refunded if someone were to get off a waitlist elsewhere?
That only applies if you are paying out of pocket. If you are paying with loans, that payment date is not a big deal.

That only applies if you are paying out of pocket. If you are paying with loans, that payment date is not a big deal.
So if I’m paying out of pocket I need to give them $34k by April 15? Before I even know if I’m 100% going?

If we were to not take location into account, would your opinion change?
It’s hard to not take location into account though. If you truly have nothing holding to you to a certain geographical area, I’m not sure I have an answer for you re: DMU vs NYIT. Ultimately, it’s not so much whether you’re willing to uproot yourself or not, but more so the idea of residency placement. If you go to DMU and end up only having the upper hand at midwestern programs over New England programs, would you be okay with that? On the other hand, NYIT is more well known and recognized in the north east, so you’d have more success applying to residency programs in the same area. Just some things to consider!

So if I’m paying out of pocket I need to give them $34k by April 15? Before I even know if I’m 100% going?
Talk to financial aid. Payment plans are options too.

I didn’t even know we had to make that big of a payment then😅 When are we supposed to apply for loans? The FAFSA is still not available so idk what to do

NYITCOM requires a 34K deposit ?
$1500 seat deposit unless it went up in the last few years. The other amount being talked about is for tuition, which only applies if you are not paying for school with loans.
I didn’t even know we had to make that big of a payment then😅 When are we supposed to apply for loans? The FAFSA is still not available so idk what to do
If you are paying for school out of pocket, I recommend contacting the financial aid office to talk about your options before that deadline. If you plan to pay with loans, relax. More information will come as needed. The financial aid office will get you everything you need in time to pay for school and will remind you if you have not done something they need. If you are worried about it, contact them.

OOS A, interviewed on 11/17, will be withdrawing my acceptance.

fafsa is currently available btw!!

Just wanted to put this out there about the April 15 payment: this is what fin aid said to me this morning! They also said that if you’re paying out of pocket/payment plan, as long as you withdraw BEFORE the first day of classes you’ll receive a 100% refund so if you get off a waitlist or something like that you’re good to get the money back from the beginning of your payment plan (the $1500 deposit is nonrefundable nonnegotiable)
IMG_1704.jpeg