2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete early December and silence since then. It’s been more than 6 weeks, should I reach out to admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would send an update letter expressing interest :)
Do you have any tips/advice for how to go about this? There’s no portal and I don’t really have significant updates. I feel like it would just be a letter of continued interest if anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any tips/advice for how to go about this? There’s no portal and I don’t really have significant updates. I feel like it would just be a letter of continued interest if anything.
I think a letter of continued interest is also fine! Or even calling to check up on your application and expressing continued interest

any accepted students submitted their vaccinations forms (including covid) yet? Just read on the accepted students page they were supposedly due within 2 weeks after submitting the acceptance reply form.... is this strictly adhered to?

any accepted students submitted their vaccinations forms (including covid) yet? Just read on the accepted students page they were supposedly due within 2 weeks after submitting the acceptance reply form.... is this strictly adhered to?
you will be fine. Just do it ASAP. I freaked out about it because I didn't realize i had to submit it until like a month after it was due. I emailed admissions and they said everything was okay, just to submit it ASAP.

Any third year students here that can talk about how rotations work? Is there a specific teaching hospital or do we have to go out and find our own rotations for our third year?

Any third year students here that can talk about how rotations work? Is there a specific teaching hospital or do we have to go out and find our own rotations for our third year?
2 options:

1. Apply for the Baptist Partnership program in the spring of your first year. If accepted, all your 3rd year rotations are there, and you will know if you are in that program during that Spring of first year.

2. All other rotation sites are determined based on a lottery in the Spring of your 2nd year. You rank all the sites, and a computer program matches you somewhere. You have the opportunity to trade sites with classmates during a short period of time. You find this out April of your 2nd year and start 3rd year rotations at the very end of July.

All 3rd year rotation sites are provided by the school. 4th year rotation sites (I.e. away rotations) are mostly up to you to set up, which is standard for most all DO schools. Some 4th year rotations can be setup through the school though.

Reactions: 2 users
2 options:

1. Apply for the Baptist Partnership program in the spring of your first year. If accepted, all your 3rd year rotations are there, and you will know if you are in that program during that Spring of first year.

2. All other rotation sites are determined based on a lottery in the Spring of your 2nd year. You rank all the sites, and a computer program matches you somewhere. You have the opportunity to trade sites with classmates during a short period of time. You find this out April of your 2nd year and start 3rd year rotations at the very end of July.

All 3rd year rotation sites are provided by the school. 4th year rotation sites (I.e. away rotations) are mostly up to you to set up, which is standard for most all DO schools. Some 4th year rotations can be setup through the school though.
Is the Baptist Partnership Program competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
2 options:

How do you apply to this program?

Depends on how many in the class apply. It is an essay application. ~20 spots +/- a few
is there a benefit to doing this program as opposed to going to one of the other rotation sites?

How do you apply to this program?
It is open to everyone in academic good standing in the spring of your first year. The COM will provide more info. then. The application the past few years has been essay based.

is there a benefit to doing this program as opposed to going to one of the other rotation sites?
It depends on your interests.

Possible pros:
1. Memphis is the largest city that the school has rotation sites in so more things to do.
2. Baptist Memorial in Memphis has residency programs in OB/GYN, radiology, and general surgery so you may rotate with residents and get to know program directors.
3. You know where you will be living for your third year a year before the rest of your class does.
4. You may see more complex pathologies due to the size of the hospital, its resources, etc.
5. UTHSC is also in the city so the opportunity to network and find research may also be greater versus other sites.

Possible cons:
1. You may be busier than your classmates at more rural sites so less time to study for COMAT shelf exams and board exams.
2. Possibly less autonomy or hands-on experience because you could be with residents that may need to do certain things for their training or attendings that are busier.
3. Higher cost of living than most other sites.

These are all relative and pros/cons will be based on your own goals and preferences.

BUCOM may take up Baptist rotation sites when the time comes around (in about 2 years) when they begin rotating.

Reactions: 1 users
BUCOM may take up Baptist rotation sites when the time comes around (in about 2 years) when they begin rotating.
Possibly but not likely or anytime soon. From the dean himself, NYITCOM is in a contractual relationship with Baptist for this program. These spots will not be taken away without notice and renegotiation of this contract.

Baptist Memorial Memphis is a 700+ bed hospital, and the Baptist system has 20+ hospitals. There is plenty to go around. NYITCOM also has students that rotate in two other Baptist hospitals that are not in Memphis.

anyone know how long it normally takes to hear back after an interview? i forgot to ask my interviewer

Do we send interview thank you letters to admissions or the interviewer? And how would you get the interviewer email?

Do we send interview thank you letters to admissions or the interviewer? And how would you get the interviewer email?
I sent mine directly to my interviewer. I googled them and found their email on the schools website.

What’s the post ii acceptance rate here?
Nobody can accurately tell you this statistic without knowing exactly how many interviews were extended from the school and exactly how many students were accepted by the school, which is only known by the admissions committee.

i interviewed 1/23 and still haven’t heard anything :(
I'm hoping to hear back by Friday?... I feel like they usually send out decisions in the middle of the month from what i read but not 100% sure of course. But so nervous and waiting is rough lol. Good luck!

nothing still! i emailed and said i forgot to ask my interviewer how long it’d take to get a response (true) and i was hoping to hear something soon
still no updates, even with emailing them last week

They took about a month to send me my acceptance letter back in December. (My interview was 12/06. Acceptance email was in 01/04).
Good luck everyone!

Just writing this post to inspire late bloomers like myself, who applied very late in the cycle with no hopes! I submitted my secondary application Feb 6th and received an interview invite a couple of minutes ago. However, the next info session seems to be April 4th, which will be almost 3 weeks after my interview date. Is this orientation mandatory... do they count the number of candidates that attend these...? Some insight would be helpful. Oh, and this is for the Arkansas campus!

Just writing this post to inspire late bloomers like myself, who applied very late in the cycle with no hopes! I submitted my secondary application Feb 6th and received an interview invite a couple of minutes ago. However, the next info session seems to be April 4th, which will be almost 3 weeks after my interview date. Is this orientation mandatory... do they count the number of candidates that attend these...? Some insight would be helpful. Oh, and this is for the Arkansas campus!
I interviewed (still waiting on a decision) but didn’t attend the pre interview session because I wasn’t available but it’s not mandatory. I’m scheduled to join the one in April just in case I get in and I want to know what they’re saying…
Congrats on the interview!

I haven’t heard from NYITCOM since I submitted secondaries back in September. Does that mean it’s a rejection?

Little inside scoop: Dean Wadsworth mentioned in tonight’s SGA meeting that the class for both campuses are full and they’re starting to work on the WL. I have no idea what this means for January interviews, but I figure this means some of us will get As and others will be put on hold.
From the NYITCOM thread

If both classes are full, then wouldn’t that mean they wouldn’t go through a waitlist? I think I’m confused
People can still withdraw before classes start, even into the first week. Some people will get pulled off the waitlist that late.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS II received, hoping there is a chance to get an A