2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone in silence still? feel like its mostly high stats getting interviews/As rn (that's what it seems idk) or that's what I'm convincing myself so that ill hear back in the new year lol.. secondary submitted literally 6months ago

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
anyone in silence still? feel like its mostly high stats getting interviews/As rn (that's what it seems idk) or that's what I'm convincing myself so that ill hear back in the new year lol.. secondary submitted literally 6months ago
Yuup, LM 62 with two MD IIs and silence from most of my DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the A email, but will be withdrawing my acceptance here since I already put down a seat deposit somewhere else. Hope it goes to one of you guys. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone with A’s! Think we’ll hear next week about A’s again or was the wave for December decisions probably yesterday?

Congrats to everyone with A’s! Think we’ll hear next week about A’s again or was the wave for December decisions probably yesterday?
I’m hoping so I haven’t heard anything yesterday and I interviewed October. My interviewer did say they release middle of the month on a monthly basis so it is possible let’s hope so

Got the A on Dec 7, 2023 but I will be withdrawing my acceptance since I already put down a seat deposit at another school that is a better fit for me. Hope it goes to one of you. Good luck!

Damn I'm so upset to see the A's came out, I interviewed 11/2 and haven't heard anything

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my A! Hope it goes to one of you! Good luck!

I’m wondering if any current students can speak on this: considering that NYIT utilizes honors/high pass/pass/fail grading, does this “pass/fail” grading system still end up feeling like a letter grading system being that there’s 3 passing “tiers” or “levels” to compare students with?

I’m wondering if any current students can speak on this: considering that NYIT utilizes honors/high pass/pass/fail grading, does this “pass/fail” grading system still end up feeling like a letter grading system being that there’s 3 passing “tiers” or “levels” to compare students with?
I’m also curious about this, doesn’t seem like students really wanna answer this 😭

Something to consider: every school has to report a ranking to the residency programs, so even if there isn't a public rank/grading system, there is still a rank based off your grades.

Hi I'm a current OMS-II and for our preclinical years there is just P/F and Honors. High pass is for clinical years. I feel personally that there isn't a comparison or "tier" system as much as you think there is. It will probably matter more in clinical years, but in my experience in pre-clinicals, it doesn't really matter. Most people just aim to pass since passing is what matters most.

Something to consider: every school has to report a ranking to the residency programs, so even if there isn't a public rank/grading system, there is still a rank based off your grades.
For NYITCOM, we get "ranked" in quartiles as far as I know, meaning they say you are in the top 25% of the class, top 50% and so forth.

So few people get honors that it doesn't feel like a letter grading system. For class rank, the MSPE that residencies see will list if you were in the top 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, top third, middle third, or bottom third. They use different adjectives to describe students in each distinction as well.

Thanks everyone for the answers! They’re very helpful

So few people get honors that it doesn't feel like a letter grading system. For class rank, the MSPE that residencies see will list if you were in the top 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, top third, middle third, or bottom third. They use different adjectives to describe students in each distinction as well.
Do students ever know their rank?

Anyone else complete in august and still hasn’t heard anything since?

Reactions: 5 users
Completed end of June and haven't heard from them yet...very painful and long process
I think since the DO deposits were due yesterday hopefully there will be more II moving forward

Omg last question (I hope), but I'm planning on asking my family to buy my med school books as my birthday gift so i can save some money lol. As of now, I'm planning on asking for the First Aid Step 1 USMLE Review and Savarese OMT Review books. Any other books or specific supplies I may need?

I'm seeing that a lot of folks that submitted 6 months ago haven't gotten II's yet. Looks like I'm not going to get one anytime soon.

I'm seeing that a lot of folks that submitted 6 months ago haven't gotten II's yet. Looks like I'm not going to get one anytime soon.
im trying to stay hopeful! i have a friend there now who didn't interview until march so better late than never hopefully!! i submitted secondaries on 6/6 and I'm in silence still

Omg last question (I hope), but I'm planning on asking my family to buy my med school books as my birthday gift so i can save some money lol. As of now, I'm planning on asking for the First Aid Step 1 USMLE Review and Savarese OMT Review books. Any other books or specific supplies I may need?
I would hold off on OMT books because I doubt you'll need them. I, nor anyone I know, uses any kind of outside OMT resources. You'll be fine with what the school teaches you. First Aid is pretty useful though, although you'll get free access to an online version of it from the school when they sign you up for ScholarRx.

Last edited:
im a first year student here and wanted to share my experience the good and bad:

this school has a big remediation problem. whether you want to believe it or not this program has the highest remediation rates of any DO program. Last year the dean wadsworth gave everyone a 2% curve to save face since they couldnt fail half of the class, even with that they had a good 30-40 students repeat at both campuses each. This is NOT normal for med schools . I had the same worries as many of you but even if you fail one exam it puts you on the edge which is how alot of students end up remediating- its not that they cant study/academically poor. Its the fact that we cant have any retakes which every other DO/MD school offers which has been hindering students alot. When 3 exams dictate your entire avg there is very little room for error.

Its your first semester. Many are getting used to the rigor of med school but here they make your first semester decide the rest of your 1-2 years which is the dumbest policy i have heard. I had ppl warn me about this issue here and im here to tell you this is still a problem.

2027 is having the same problem as well rn. A fat chunk are at risk again for remediation. In addition someone messaged me this week saying that a good 80-90 students drop out from the NY class and like 25-30 from the ARK campus. we tried to get changes put in place for years no one does anything they pull some bull**** statistic about "passing boards".

the people here are great though! I mean that. Some of the most talented and passionate people in medicine which gives me some hope for the future. My classmates have made life so much easier.

At the end of the day, its your choice but make an informed decison. Also look at reddit including the medicalschool page as there are posts about students failing rn from this school. IDK who is getting bribed at the AOA for this school to still be accredited

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
im a first year student here and wanted to share my experience the good and bad:

this school has a big remediation problem. whether you want to believe it or not this program has the highest remediation rates of any DO program. Last year the dean wadsworth gave everyone a 2% curve to save face since they couldnt fail half of the class, even with that they had a good 30-40 students repeat at both campuses each. This is NOT normal for med schools . I had the same worries as many of you but even if you fail one exam it puts you on the edge which is how alot of students end up remediating- its not that they cant study/academically poor. Its the fact that we cant have any retakes which every other DO/MD school offers which has been hindering students alot. When 3 exams dictate your entire avg there is very little room for error.

Its your first semester. Many are getting used to the rigor of med school but here they make your first semester decide the rest of your 1-2 years which is the dumbest policy i have heard. I had ppl warn me about this issue here and im here to tell you this is still a problem.

2027 is having the same problem as well rn. A fat chunk are at risk again for remediation. In addition someone messaged me this week saying that a good 80-90 students drop out from the NY class and like 25-30 from the ARK campus. The deans here also dont gaf. NY has tried. JB has tried to get changes put in place for years no one does anything they pull some bull**** statistic about "passing boards".

the people here are great though! I mean that. Some of the most talented and passionate people in medicine which gives me some hope for the future. My classmates have made life so much easier.

At the end of the day, its your choice but make an informed decison. Also look at reddit including the medicalschool page as there are posts about students failing rn from this school. IDK who is getting bribed at the AOA for this school to still be accredited
God damn wth

I just relinquished my seat at 3 other schools because I thought NYITCOM was the best choice. Hoping I get in somewhere else now 🫠

I just relinquished my seat at 3 other schools because I thought NYITCOM was the best choice. Hoping I get in somewhere else now 🫠
I don't want to dismiss what any of the current or former students have said, but I will say, just take everything with a grain of salt. One person's difficult challenge is another's easy success, point being, NYITCOM will be a different experience for most of us. I know a handful of current NYITCOM students from my HS or undergrad and they all really enjoy the school, curriculum, and academics

Reactions: 5 users
I don't want to dismiss what any of the current or former students have said, but I will say, just take everything with a grain of salt. One person's difficult challenge is another's easy success, point being, NYITCOM will be a different experience for most of us. I know a handful of current NYITCOM students from my HS or undergrad and they all really enjoy the school, curriculum, and academics
+1. I want to make it clear, I am in no way dismissing any other students' experiences at the school, but my first semester has gone by decently, despite being incredibly difficult and stressful, and I have enjoyed my time here. It depends on each individual student.

Reactions: 2 users
i passed BUT it took alot for me and my friends here to pass. I am not trying to negate the school or other but there are ALOT of bs policies that I didnt know until I got here at orientation which students should be aware of. Students here are scared to speak but im not and am sharing what alot of others and myself have felt. Regardless imo ostepathic schools tend to have more weird policies- pick your poison and im sure you will be fine.

Some ppl are very passionate about this school since its the only one they got into which is understandable but if you have options do your research about the curriculum where ever you end up.

there is good and bad every where you go. Its your own life you get to make med school what you want it to be. Like I said the people here are truly amazing. my classmates have held it down and I am grateful and inspired to be surrounded by such driven people. everyone here is capable of being excellent physician's but I wish there were better curriculum policies.

edit: also this is not one persons difficulty lmao. Look at our class groupchats. Its like 40% of the ppl.

i passed BUT it took alot for me and my friends here to pass. I am not trying to negate the school or other but there are ALOT of bs policies that I didnt know until I got here at orientation which students should be aware of. Students here are scared to speak but im not and am sharing what alot of others and myself have felt. Regardless imo ostepathic schools tend to have more weird policies- pick your poison and im sure you will be fine. Some ppl are very passionate about this school since its the only one they got into which is understandable but if you have options do your research about the curriculum where ever you end up.

there is good and bad every where you go. Its your own life you get to make med school what you want it to be. Like I said the people here are truly amazing. my classmates have held it down and I am grateful and inspired to be surrounded by such driven people. everyone here is capable of being excellent physician's but I wish there were better curriculum policies.
could you elaborate more on the weird polices that you didn't find out about until orientation?

As a now current second year student, I will put in my 2 cents since my view of the school has changed a bit since first year. Yes, your experience of medical school is what you make of it and there will be people who will do just fine and cruise by. However, the leniency of failing is very slim. Like the first year student said, you do not have a lot of room for error and that is the case even more so for second year. My class has been a "guinea pig" class. We've had curriculum changes every year and the experiences of a current 4 year student is completely different compared to a current 1st year student. That is how much the curriculum has changed in such a short period of time. The school does not make things easier for students who are on the brink of failing and our policies for grades is a big ludicrous I will admit. The ones in which students have the biggest problem with is every exam, around 5-10% of exam questions get dropped, with both the denominator and numerator of your score being affected. This means, if you get all the dropped questions correct, your score WILL go down. That along with having no retake policies are the biggest issues students have with our exam policies. The years above us have tried time and time again to have a retake policy reinstated, but have always failed. That being said, do not be discouraged if this is your only choice for medical school. There are faculty who care for the students and have their best interests at heart and the student body is extremely collaborative and supportive. I've met amazing friends here and even though we are all struggling at some points, we have each other to lean on which is important. Point of the story is, do not take medical school lightly and find your support system early on if you intend on coming here.

could you elaborate more on the weird polices that you didn't find out about until orientation?

1. I was told we could retake exams. I explicitly emailed the academic affairs office in June and I have the emails and SCs showing that faculty have stated they let you retake exams. I got to orientation and they said no that is not a policy. When I showed the email they said it was a mistake. Maybe that is just a mistake for me personally but that was a messed up because i had other options but wanted to stay close to home.

2. They toss questions out of comps sometimes as a way to curve and if you get those questions right that get tossed out it bring your grade down. This happened to me and my friends where our grades go DOWN for questions I GOT RIGHT. that is not how you curve, when we brought this up to the deans they were like if it affected you negatively you can petition your grade but we wont give it back to you yet. That is very unfair and we are the only schools that penalize students for getting correct answers.

3. In the beginning they said you CANT fail FOM + 1 lab. Meaning you had to pass FOM and/or anatomy and OMM to go to PPOM 1. alot of students were trying to balance passing anatomy with FOM but literally 3 weeks ago they emailed us saing you can fail all the labs and still go to PPOM. Ik thats not a big deal but my friends would have focused on FOM more than the labs in the second block had they not changed it later on in the year when its pointless.

I do want to say Ik i have been brining a - connotation to this page but I do think the school is set on their mission. I do think some faculty are passionate and amazing. Like I said i love my classmates BUT its the admins that have been making thing a little bit harder compared to other schools. I do think if you come here you will be amazing doctors as we do have a great match list.

edi: I also do want to emphasize med school is a marathon- the way medicine is set up is unfortunate that we have to jump through these hoops. At the end of the day, you all will be doctors, we are all Type A gunners ( trust me if you r in the position where you passed the MCAT and took all the premed classes you are a driven person) regardless if you come here or elsewhere be ready to work and never forget why you want to be a Dr.

Last edited:
I agree with the above criticisms, especially about the exam policies. Our first year class has brought up to the administration the fact that the curve can harm those students who got certain questions right that were then dropped. However, they remain steadfast in their stance against changing this policy. And yes, you have to stay on top of your courseload to avoid falling behind, because that can be very easy, especially with these asynchronous lectures. The school really emphasizes figuring out how to study really early on so you have the best chance to pass and do well. I highly recommend using the first few weeks to really hammer down what works best for you, as hard as that may be.

Last edited:
So are the negatives mostly related to grading/exam policies? Or the curriculum overall?

My deposit is due on 01/07 so it’d be nice to know. I got into Touro Montana as well but NYIT is much more established so I’d obviously rather go here.

So are the negatives mostly related to grading/exam policies? Or the curriculum overall?

My deposit is due on 01/07 so it’d be nice to know. I got into Touro Montana as well but NYIT is much more established so I’d obviously rather go here.
Speaking only from my experience, I would say the former. The curriculum is challenging as would be expected from medical school, but there are enough good professors and resources that will help you pass as long as you're able to keep up with the pace and figure out how to study efficiently. The key being figuring out how to do so as early as possible in the semester.

NYIT>Turo montana no shade to them but its a new program that just opened up. They dont have a graduating class from what i understand, here you have a big alumni network both here in LI and in JB who matched well.

I do think its a little bit of both issues on both ends. I believe students should make an informed decision which is y i made my posts idk what turos policies are like so maybe ask them

Compared to last year, there was a huge restructuring of the foundations course so in that aspect, it did change for the better for the first years, but the exam quality can be a hit or miss. The whole exam writing department left last year and this year there are completely new people which is why I feel as if the quality of exams has taken a massive hit compared to last year. The structuring of blocks was and is still an issue that admin have not completely figured out yet as previous years used to have 4 blocks per semester and now the majority of semesters is 3 blocks which doesn't translate well to when you start systems. Last year, we had a whole mix of systems in one block which felt very disjointed and not organized very well in my opinion. Of course, someone else may have different views than I do.

In regard to these exams though, do students study with previous exams or are those not distributed? The exams are made brand new each time? As in, no use of a test bank? Is there any way to get an idea of how NYIT presents their course material and tests on it without being a current student lol

Previous exams are not distributed by the school. Exams questions are pulled from a question bank that has questions dating all the way back to 2013. You can get materials from upperclassmen, but the school resources are very limited. Our exams are in-house though so most people study from the slides and use outside resources to supplement. Expect to pay for at least one outside resource. Short answer to your last question is no.

So in regards to what you said earlier about the exam retaking policy, what happens if you fail an exam? Do you just take the L and move on or what?
Speaking only from my experience, I would say the former. The curriculum is challenging as would be expected from medical school, but there are enough good professors and resources that will help you pass as long as you're able to keep up with the pace and figure out how to study efficiently. The key being figuring out how to do so as early as possible in the semester.

NYIT>Turo montana no shade to them but its a new program that just opened up. They dont have a graduating class from what i understand, here you have a big alumni network both here in LI and in JB who matched well.

I do think its a little bit of both issues on both ends. I believe students should make an informed decision which is y i made my posts idk what turos policies are like so maybe ask them