2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about the high remediation rate from last year?
It is concerning, but it is a consequence of the exam/curriculum structure I mentioned. Most pass and do fine but every class has a bottom group. It is even harder when there are only 3-4 exams per semester that make up 75% of your grade. Some schools have individual courses and more exams that allow failing more forgivable, but because everything is basically combined into one course at NYIT, and the majority of the grade is from 3 exams, it is hard to recover from a bad grade. However, of the 26 (of 138) that failed first semester last year, only 2 did not pass remediation. Everyone else is back in normal medical school classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is concerning, but it is a consequence of the exam/curriculum structure I mentioned. Most pass and do fine but every class has a bottom group. It is even harder when there are only 3-4 exams per semester that make up 75% of your grade. Some schools have individual courses and more exams that allow failing more forgivable, but because everything is basically combined into one course at NYIT, and the majority of the grade is from 3 exams, it is hard to recover from a bad grade. However, of the 26 (of 138) that failed first semester last year, only 2 did not pass remediation. Everyone else is back in normal medical school classes.
Good to know. I had heard that this year, the current freshman are actually doing a lot better with their exams and that last year, the 26 that remediated were unfortunately just a fluke and abnormality, and that usually the remediation number is much lower. Is this something you can confirm or have any insight on? Also, is the lack of blocks (everything combined in one course) only for the first semester?

Good to know. I had heard that this year, the current freshman are actually doing a lot better with their exams and that last year, the 26 that remediated were unfortunately just a fluke and abnormality, and that usually the remediation number is much lower. Is this something you can confirm or have any insight on? Also, is the lack of blocks (everything combined in one course) only for the first semester?
The number is probably between 10-20 students each year.

No, it’s for all of the first 4 semesters.

FOM: 5 FOM precomp exams, 3 anatomy precomps, 3 FOM comp exams, 3 anatomy practical exams, 3 OMM practicals. You must have >70% in FOM, Anatomy practicals, and OMM practicals to successful pass all 3 aspects of FOM. However, if you fail FOM, you immediately start remediation in the spring and restart with the following year’s class. If you ONLY fail anatomy OR OMM (cannot fail 2 labs), then you remediate that lab in the summer and continue with your original class.

Same rules for labs and needing >70% applies:
PPOM1 (spring first year): 4 precomps, 1 neuroanatomy practical, 4 comp exams, 4 OMM practicals.

PPOM2 (fall year 2): 3 precomps, 3 comps, 3 OMM practicals.

PPOM3 (spring year 2): 3 precomps, 3 comps, 3 OMM practicals, done at the end of April to start dedicated for boards until July 1.

There are benchmark exams mixed in throughout year 2 to prepare and determine readiness for boards. There are also doctor-patient relationship exam checkoffs and standardized patient encounters throughout both years. In year 2, you have to earn competency “badges” to pass the DPR lab portion of the PPOM courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The number is probably between 10-20 students each year.

No, it’s for all of the first 4 semesters.

FOM: 5 FOM precomp exams, 3 anatomy precomps, 3 FOM comp exams, 3 anatomy practical exams, 3 OMM practicals. You must have >70% in FOM, Anatomy practicals, and OMM practicals to successful pass all 3 aspects of FOM. However, if you fail FOM, you immediately start remediation in the spring and restart with the following year’s class. If you ONLY fail anatomy OR OMM (cannot fail 2 labs), then you remediate that lab in the summer and continue with your original class.

Same rules for labs and needing >70% applies:
PPOM1 (spring first year): 4 precomps, 1 neuroanatomy practical, 4 comp exams, 4 OMM practicals.

PPOM2 (fall year 2): 3 precomps, 3 comps, 3 OMM practicals.

PPOM3 (spring year 2): 3 precomps, 3 comps, 3 OMM practicals, done at the end of April to start dedicated for boards until July 1.

There are benchmark exams mixed in throughout year 2 to prepare and determine readiness for boards. There are also doctor-patient relationship exam checkoffs and standardized patient encounters throughout both years. In year 2, you have to earn competency “badges” to pass the DPR lab portion of the PPOM courses.
Thank you! Can I PM you?

Any advice for the interview? What's it like? I have mine tomorrow

Any advice for the interview? What's it like? I have mine tomorrow
Definitely review the SDN interview feedback page. I interviewed with a faculty member, and it was pretty laid back. Make sure you review the school's mission and know the basic interview questions (why this school, why physician, why DO, etc.), and just be yourself. They want to know who you are and if you will be a good fit for each other. You'll do great! :)

Out of those accepted, how many of you think you will truly matriculate and go here? The match for the Arkansas specific location doesn’t seem to be super competitive, so I am curious what everyone else is thinking
Were you waitlisted?

Nah accepted
Interesting, you mention the match list but the mission of this school is to put more primary care docs in rural areas. I’d say the school is doing a pretty good job at achieving that goal with the match list. As an aspiring ortho is there a reason your handicapping yourself applying to schools with a low ortho match rate?

How quickly do people hear back after the interview? Thanks. :)

It’s a good mission fit regarding rural healthcare, just not for orthopedics. Plenty of schools with a mission fit for rural healthcare match well into orthopedics, just the NYIT-JB campus isn’t necessarily one of those.

Obviously I’m aware that it doesn’t make it impossible, but they also have an insane COA. And it’s not necessarily the specialties, but also where they match.
The match list doesn’t look too bad… It looks like most go into primary care but there’s also a handful that do other specialties

The match list doesn’t look too bad… It looks like most go into primary care but there’s also a handful that do other specialties
I think it has more to do with just the desires of the class as a whole. Yea it’s harder to get into a competitive specialty from a do school but there’s also less people that WANT to do those specialties at a do school. Those that do will either become well qualified applicants and match assuming they’re competitive, and the ones not competitive will not match. The real thing to investigate is how many qualified applicants to a competitive specialty from a do school did not match. And by qualified, I mean have the average metrics of successful applicants to that specialty. Step scores, publications, etc + reasonable away rotation performance and number of away rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it has more to do with just the desires of the class as a whole. Yea it’s harder to get into a competitive specialty from a do school but there’s also less people that WANT to do those specialties at a do school. Those that do will either become well qualified applicants and match assuming they’re competitive, and the ones not competitive will not match. The real thing to investigate is how many qualified applicants to a competitive specialty from a do school did not match. And by qualified, I mean have the average metrics of successful applicants to that specialty. Step scores, publications, etc + reasonable away rotation performance and number of away rotations.
Would you consider psychiatry competitive? They had 10-12 people match the last two years into that specialty

Would you consider psychiatry competitive? They had 10-12 people match the last two years into that specialty
I have heard it’s starting to get competitive but I don’t see it coming close to a surgical sub or derm anytime soon.

From what I can see in the thread from last year, hopefully some admissions decisions should come out this Friday on 11/10.

does anyone know how to send updates after submitting our secondary, I did a few things right after and wanted to update admissions team but not sure how

does anyone know how to send updates after submitting our secondary, I did a few things right after and wanted to update admissions team but not sure how
Email the admissions office

Will be withdrawing my A. Hopefully one of you guys gets the spot!

Reactions: 3 users
Rooting for y’all. Just be sure to try and not dwell on it during the morning. I was accepted in oct, the email was not sent until the afternoon. Don’t spend your morning a husk of stress doing nothing like I did.

Quick question, usually how long is the post-interview response time (for reference I interviewed very beginning of the month). Help is much appreciated!

Accepted!! Just got the email a few minutes ago!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!! First cycle, first interview(10/19), first A! Lets goooo future doc!

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations who all got accepted 👏👏👏

May I know your stats?

Accepted today, my first acceptance this cycle! Interviewed 10/19.
Overall and Science GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 511

Reactions: 4 users
Are the $1500 non-refundable deposit and acceptance reply form due 12/14 binding? I'm wondering because I have not heard back from the majority of the schools I applied to yet.

Are the $1500 non-refundable deposit and acceptance reply form due 12/14 binding? I'm wondering because I have not heard back from the majority of the schools I applied to yet.
It is not binding, but it is, as it's name suggests, non-refundable.

Do any current students here have any opinions on the curriculum? Like for example, do you feel that the curriculum goes beyond the boards to prepare you? Or is the board prep mainly just on you?

Do any current students here have any opinions on the curriculum? Like for example, do you feel that the curriculum goes beyond the boards to prepare you? Or is the board prep mainly just on you?
The school recommends focusing on the curriculum and having >75% avg in the semesters supposedly indicates you will pass comlex level 1. The curriculum does not specifically teach to boards or only focus on board relevant information. Some things are taught towards the level of level 1, some is beyond the level 1 material, and some is insufficient or focuses on minutiae. “Board prep” is on you, but focusing solely on boards material is not sufficient for in-house exams, although it is helpful.

Make sure to check your spam folder! My II was in my spam folder

i have a question for current students - I keep coming across reddit posts talking about rotation sites issues at NYIT arkansas (and that many hospitals in the state prefer ARCOM over nyit?). These posts also date 2-5 years ago and i am not able to find more recent posts about rotations. however the NYIT website explains their partnership with baptist and st. bernards hospitals so i am a lil confused on why there would be rotations issues. if other applicants/candidates know info on this feel free to respond as well

i have a question for current students - I keep coming across reddit posts talking about rotation sites issues at NYIT arkansas (and that many hospitals in the state prefer ARCOM over nyit?). These posts also date 2-5 years ago and i am not able to find more recent posts about rotations. however the NYIT website explains their partnership with baptist and st. bernards hospitals so i am a lil confused on why there would be rotations issues. if other applicants/candidates know info on this feel free to respond as well
That’s all hearsay. All students here get placed at sites. Quality varies, but you will have a site. There are sites in Northwest AR, Little Rock, AR, NEA Baptist (residency program) and St. Bernard’s (residency program) in Jonesboro, Memphis (Baptist - residency programs), Southaven, MS (another Baptist hospital - residency program), Tupelo, MS (residency program), Shreveport, LA (residency program), and smaller towns throughout AR. NYITCOM has no official partnership with these residency programs, but if you are at these sites you will rotate with them in certain specialties.

ARCOM is also on heightened monitoring for accreditation. NYITCOM was just approved, again, for full accreditation.