2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Remediation the past couple years is between 10-20%
2. Depends on who passes remediation but most do.
3. Everyone gets a rotation so availability is there, but the quality of the site is variable. Little Rock, Northwest AR, Jonesboro, Memphis, Tupelo, and Desoto are probably the better ones. However, the small rural sites allow more hands on learning, easier hours, and more study time but worse opportunities for networking for residency.
4. Most faculty are helpful some are not. I have had mostly good experiences with faculty.
5. I cannot speak to this, but I believe these things are easy to find if you need them.
6. We have talked about curriculum in previous posts on last year’s thread. Every student, NY and AR, watches pre-recorded lectures on their own time. The lecturers are mostly in NY but some are in AR too. Only anatomy labs, DPR, OMM, and CBL (PPOMs) are mandatory in person. The rest of your learning is on your own.
Hi! I have a question about the remediation rate!

Is this something to be concerned about for prospective applicants? Is NYITCOM letting in students that likely wouldn't succeed in medical school or is there something fishier going on? In my case, I have always been strong academically so I don't think I'd have issues with studies at NYITCOM, but that number seems very high relative to what I have seen.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, is there a separate app for both schools? I thought you apply to both and just pick a preference?

When do people typically hear back after the first round of interviews at this school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have a question about the remediation rate!

Is this something to be concerned about for prospective applicants? Is NYITCOM letting in students that likely wouldn't succeed in medical school or is there something fishier going on? In my case, I have always been strong academically so I don't think I'd have issues with studies at NYITCOM, but that number seems very high relative to what I have seen.
I personally think it’s an admissions/work ethic/priorities issue. Good students do fine. I also think only having 3-4 total exams for each semester may play a part but overall most do fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if this interview is open or closed file?
To answer my own question, the interview was half open half closed. They can see your application but cannot see your grades/gpa/mcat score

How did it go? How was the vibe?
I honestly think it depends on your interviewer. Mine was great. Had a very nice conversation, he said he really liked my answers... but who knows. I really thought it went well. But I also know that on some questions I was stuttering and was nervous because I had to think of things on the spot (even though I read over my application and practiced the basic questions). We'll see! Vibe was very relaxed for me personally but I also know others that have said it was a bit on the tougher side.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know how long it takes to hear back post interview?
According to last years trends, looks like those who interviewed in August/September heard back in mid-October. Could be different this year though, not too sure.

Does this school ask anything about criminal charges on secondary? Would prefer not to share if possible
Do not remember but every medical school does a background check before enrollment so if your record is not clean it is bound to come up prior to matriculation

Do not remember but every medical school does a background check before enrollment so if your record is not clean it is bound to come up prior to matriculation
Makes sense. It’s more so a thing I would like to discuss directly with the dean or admissions after acceptance rather than disclose it and give them yet another reason to filter me out when its already competitive as is

My first II just now! OOS, low stats, but lots of work experience. Completed on Aug 28th

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite here today, will be declining, complete 8/3

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my primary app on 9/5 and still have not received a secondary/supplemental application. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips for interviewing here? Should I ask about the remediation rate?

submitted in july but they didn’t mark my file complete until 9/1 because i was waiting on a LOR :/

Does anyone know what the post acceptance rate is for this school? And when can we expect to hear back from them?

Does anyone know what the post acceptance rate is for this school? And when can we expect to hear back from them?
Wanting to know the same. I interviewed one of the first interview slots. Was wondering when they send out their decisions

That data isn’t shared anywhere. However, anecdotally, if you were interviewed early on then you have a good chance of an A. When I applied, I interviewed and was accepted 3 weeks later (Sept. -> Oct.).

Reactions: 1 users
Did the interview it was pretty laid back, the dude was nice. Asked him how I did, which might be a faux pas. Does anyone know what this school's policy on thank you letters is?

Did the interview it was pretty laid back, the dude was nice. Asked him how I did, which might be a faux pas. Does anyone know what this school's policy on thank you letters is?
I interviewed today as well and I just went ahead and sent one to my interviewer. I don’t think she was on the admissions committee but I figured it could never hurt. Hope we both get A’s in Oct based on last years thread!

I interviewed today as well and I just went ahead and sent one to my interviewer. I don’t think she was on the admissions committee but I figured it could never hurt. Hope we both get A’s in Oct based on last years thread!
Do you send it directly to them or the admissions office?

Just directly to them.
I was advised by NYIT admissions not to do that and send it directly to the admissions email. I asked them if I would just send it to the interviewer specifically and they said not to. I’m sure it’s fine but just for anyone else reading

Also, forgot, yeah I hope we both get A's too

First II after 5 pre-II hold(or soft rej), OOS. Thank god.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received an acceptance yet?
No. Based on last year's thread it looks like those who interviewed in August and September will hear back this coming Friday. Some may not find out until November or later. Unless someone has heard differently directly from admissions this is what I am predicting.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got an II, what were your stats!! I just want to gauge my chances lol