2023-2024 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like it is probably going to be Friday based off the previous three years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I truthfully wouldn’t expect anything today. The last two years the first decisions came out October 14th so I would expect the decision to either come tomorrow or they’ll wait until Monday. If they come today then that’s great but def don’t get super antsy expecting something (I know, easier said than done)

you might be right, the anticipation is killing me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
GOT THE A!! Crying, screaming, throwing up I’m so excited!!

Reactions: 1 users
I truthfully wouldn’t expect anything today. The last two years the first decisions came out October 14th so I would expect the decision to either come tomorrow or they’ll wait until Monday. If they come today then that’s great but def don’t get super antsy expecting something (I know, easier said than done)
Lol this didn't age well. Got the A!

Just got the A!! Interviewed 08/23/23.
Also; did anyone else get this email? Or is it just for us who are still taking classes?

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 200
Accepted and so relieved! Interviewed 9/27. I got the same email- I graduated already

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the A!! Interviewed 08/23/23.
Also; did anyone else get this email? Or is it just for us who are still taking classes?
I received this email as well and I have already graduated with my bachelors and completed all my pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
A received 10/13! Interviewed 9/27. Application complete 9/14. Gpa 3.5 mcat 507 IS.

Last edited:
Did anyone join the pre-interview welcome session? Cameras on, attire, anything else i need to know before?

Is there normally an accepted student GroupMe or discord?

Did anyone join the pre-interview welcome session? Cameras on, attire, anything else i need to know before?
Camera on, wore what I did to the interview. Better safe than sorry. I made sure to ask some questions in the breakout rooms.

Is there normally an accepted student GroupMe or discord?
Yes. Someone in your class needs to make the GroupMe. You will most likely get access to the student-run school discord closer to orientation next year. The discord isn’t class specific and it’s for students at both campuses.

Reactions: 3 users
Very strange match results for 2023 compared to previous years.
  • A lot less matches at HCA programs (only 9 - which is good)
  • A spike in psych matches (10)
  • A TON of people doing transitional years (9). wonder why?
Please consider match lists and location of matches when choosing med schools!

Very strange match results for 2023 compared to previous years.
  • A lot less matches at HCA programs (only 9 - which is good)
  • A spike in psych matches (10)
  • A TON of people doing transitional years (9). wonder why?
Please consider match lists and location of matches when choosing med schools!
I like the intent behind that message and second the consideration of match lists when choosing a school.

But a “spike” in psych matches could be due to applicant interest in that specialty. Transitional year match numbers have been fairly consistent over the last several years (less than 10% the class). The NY campus also has them. There’s nothing “very strange” about this match list compared to previous years.

If your goal is primary care, this school is fine. If your goal is a competitive specialty, it’s attainable at this campus, but you’re going to work your ass off for it. This is the same at most DO schools.

I like the intent behind that message and second the consideration of match lists when choosing a school.

But a “spike” in psych matches could be due to applicant interest in that specialty. Transitional year match numbers have been fairly consistent over the last several years (less than 10% the class). The NY campus also has them. There’s nothing “very strange” about this match list compared to previous years.

If your goal is primary care, this school is fine. If your goal is a competitive specialty, it’s attainable at this campus, but you’re going to work your ass off for it. This is the same at most DO schools.
Is psych a competitive specialty?

Makes sense. How much time do you have in between your last required 3rd year rotation and when eras opens to cram in sub-is?

Is psych a competitive specialty?
It’s more competitive than IM, peds, and FM, but less competitive than OBGYN and surgical fields. I believe it’s getting more competitive though. Your best bet is to look at the charting outcomes match data from last year to get a better idea.

Makes sense. How much time do you have in between your last required 3rd year rotation and when eras opens to cram in sub-is?
4th year is wide open for you to do what you need to do. 3rd yr ends in May, some time for level/step 2 dedicated, then 4th yr sub-Is can start. ERAS is submitted in September.

Last edited:
What normally happens at accepted students day outside of a tour?

I heard that’s when they typically give you a list of patients to start rounding on
Lol. Moreso just wondering if it’s worth going to that day vs the “normal” tour days given to us in the google form.

What normally happens at accepted students day outside of a tour?
Just an extra opportunity to see the school. You will not miss out on any information you won’t get later.

Anyone who has been complete since 8/21 receive an interview invite yet?

Incoming OMS-1 this fall. Please feel free to either DM me with any questions or simply tag me in a reply. I wish you all luck on your application journey!!
hi there! I am going to DM you a question. :)

Is this a low stress interview?
My interviewer was less conversational so that stressed me out a bit, other interviews I had felt more relaxed but I did my research on the school so as the interview went on i knew what I was talking about so I felt better about it

Is this a low stress interview?
I'd say fairly low stress. I thought the questions they asked were all pretty standard. My interviewer was nice, but they were very serious/matter-of-fact, and it felt more like an interview than some of my other interviews, which have mostly been conversational. I think it was just my particular interviewer's personality, though.

I'd say fairly low stress. I thought the questions they asked were all pretty standard. My interviewer was nice, but they were very serious/matter-of-fact, and it felt more like an interview than some of my other interviews, which have mostly been conversational. I think it was just my particular interviewer's personality, though.
This was exactly my experience.

Any current students know where the rotation sites in northwest arkansas are? I’m from the area and would be interested in doing rotations here.

Interview went very good today! Moved higher up on my ranking that’s for sure. Anyone know how long we should expect before hearing anything?

Last edited:
I apologize if this question has already been asked but can anyone give their input on NYIT vs ARCOM? Pros and Cons? Why would one person choose one over the other? I can’t find much information about the NYIT Arkansas campus from a student’s perspective on Reddit or SDN.

I apologize if this question has already been asked but can anyone give their input on NYIT vs ARCOM? Pros and Cons? Why would one person choose one over the other? I can’t find much information about the NYIT Arkansas campus from a student’s perspective on Reddit or SDN.
ARCOM without hesitation unless you have some social support reason that overrides it.

ARCOM without hesitation unless you have some social support reason that overrides it.
I am a current student. FlaringRaynauds takes every jab they can at NYIT-JB so take their opinion with a grain of salt.

They are correct though that being closer to a support system would be a big factor. NYIT’s level 1/2 pass rates are higher than ARCOM’s. NYIT has never been on accreditation probation either. However, both are obviously DO schools and both face similar challenges. Both will most likely get you where you want to go, if you put in the work. The biggest drawback to NYIT is exam/block setup and online delivery of all lectures, although all labs (DPR, OMM, and Anatomy - dissection and prosection) are in person.

Reactions: 4 users
I am a current student. FlaringRaynauds takes every jab they can at NYIT-JB so take their opinion with a grain of salt.

They are correct though that being closer to a support system would be a big factor. NYIT’s level 1/2 pass rates are higher than ARCOM’s. NYIT has never been on accreditation probation either. However, both are obviously DO schools and both face similar challenges. Both will most likely get you where you want to go, if you put in the work. The biggest drawback to NYIT is exam/block setup and online delivery of all lectures, although all labs (DPR, OMM, and Anatomy - dissection and prosection) are in person.
What about the high remediation rate from last year?