2023-2024 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, should we wait to submit the secondary until we receive an email requesting it from TCOM? Also, for the additional letter of rec can I use one of my letter writers for AMCAS (my English professor) or are they expecting us to use that exclusively for physician letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, should we wait to submit the secondary until we receive an email requesting it from TCOM? Also, for the additional letter of rec can I use one of my letter writers for AMCAS (my English professor) or are they expecting us to use that exclusively for physician letters?
Yes, wait to be invited so they have a place to "file" your secondary.
Has your TMDSAS app been transmitted to schools yet?

I would use that "extra letter" option only if it's a DO letter.

Yes, wait to be invited so they have a place to "file" your secondary.
Has your TMDSAS app been transmitted to schools yet?

I would use that "extra letter" option only if it's a DO letter.
I submitted my secondary before they reviewed my primary but my student portal says my secondary is on file and under review. Should i reach out to the school to confirm?

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM will be having an open house July 29th! Sign up quick since they fill up pretty fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Could attending the preview day benefit our chances for TCOM? I’m not sure if it would give us a “boost” in terms of showing admissions that we really wanna go there
Attend if you’re interested but it won’t give you a boost IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Some info from directors of admissions at TCOM:

• Interview invites should be coming out “any day now”

• Affirmative action ruling has caused this cycle to slow down a bit and emphasized we need to be a bit patient

•most interviews are done by thanksgiving but may invite up till even March if need be (very rare)

Awesome day overall!

Reactions: 4 users
Some info from directors of admissions at TCOM:

• Interview invites should be coming out “any day now”

• Affirmative action ruling has caused this cycle to slow down a bit and emphasized we need to be a bit patient

•most interviews are done by thanksgiving but may invite up till even March if need be (very rare)

Awesome day overall!
Thanks for this info. Wasn't able to attend personally, so I appreciate it!

Reactions: 2 users
I registered for preview day but wasn't able to attend - what are the chances this will negatively effect me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is interview format MMI? And does anyone have tips to prepare, specifically for this school?

Is interview format MMI? And does anyone have tips to prepare, specifically for this school?
Ya they use MMI. Check these out!

Can someone look over my "integrity" essay? I wasn't sure how to approach this essay

Can someone look over my "integrity" essay? I wasn't sure how to approach this essay

Build trust through consistent actions that are honest, transparent, and authentic

I think of community service leadership over a period of time.

Provide, accept, and support open and constructive feedback

I think of a time I was wrong and learned from it.

Hold yourself and others accountable for decisions, behaviors, actions, and results.

The classic integrity essay

I think if you find a story that can get most or some of these aspects in it, you should be good!

Congrats to everyone who had their interview today!!! I know y'all did great!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does this school follow the “traditional” DO cycle of being later than MD? I’m OOS and looking to apply here but I’d likely be submitting my TMDSAS in the 2nd week September… any thoughts are appreciated 🙂

I am just an applicant, so I am not super familiar, but TCOM follows TMDSAS procedures including the match which means interview season basically concludes much earlier. Maybe someone with more knowledge could provide more info? @Hexed

I am just an applicant, so I am not super familiar, but TCOM follows TMDSAS procedures including the match which means interview season basically concludes much earlier. Maybe someone with more knowledge could provide more info? @Hexed
Yes you are right. They give prematches starting in October, have a match with other schools in tmdsas and follow exactly same timelines. They are DO in name but they are aligned very much with Texas schools and almost have nothing to do with other DO schools outside of their curriculum.

Many of TCOM students match to other Texas MD program residencies.

Reactions: 3 users
Does this school follow the “traditional” DO cycle of being later than MD? I’m OOS and looking to apply here but I’d likely be submitting my TMDSAS in the 2nd week September… any thoughts are appreciated 🙂
@Hexed and @shikshack check out this post to see when TMDSAS folks turn in their primaries. It takes about a month for your TMDSAS app to be processed and sent to schools. Transcripts are not needed. #57

You’re so much more than just an applicant ❤️❤️ you’re a legend!!

• Care
Does this school accept updates (after submitting secondaries) or letters of intent?

Does this school accept updates (after submitting secondaries) or letters of intent?
Yes, they do. I emailed mine to the general admissions email and addressed it to TCOM admissions committee

I submitted my secondary to this school on July 27th and got the email confirming they received it. But then I got an email today (almost 3 weeks later) saying they hadn't received my "TCOM application" so I called them and turns out they didn't receive my secondary for some reason and they had me resubmit it. It feels like 3 weeks is a significant amount of time to have my completed application delayed, especially considering I am OOS. How much will this impact my chances of getting an interview invite?

I submitted my secondary to this school on July 27th and got the email confirming they received it. But then I got an email today (almost 3 weeks later) saying they hadn't received my "TCOM application" so I called them and turns out they didn't receive my secondary for some reason and they had me resubmit it. It feels like 3 weeks is a significant amount of time to have my completed application delayed, especially considering I am OOS. How much will this impact my chances of getting an interview invite?
It wasn’t your fault and you’ve already touched base with them so you’re good! They have only invited on 3 days so far.

every second of every day for me is filled with a deep thirst for a TCOM II

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
I just received my interview invite, and the pre-interview detail said I was missing my physics lab pre-requisites. Unfortunately, at my school, the general physics lecture series didn't include a lab and had a lab course associated with the 3 courses which could only be taken as pass/fail (which I took). If it counted, I think it would fulfill my physics lab pre-requisite but it seems like it does not. I sent an email to the admissions office just to clarify why my lab courses weren't counted, but if there isn't anything that can be done, is my only option to find a way to take 2 semester hours worth of physics lab through an online course or at a community college?

Thanks for any help!

I just received my interview invite, and the pre-interview detail said I was missing my physics lab pre-requisites. Unfortunately, at my school, the general physics lecture series didn't include a lab and had a lab course associated with the 3 courses which could only be taken as pass/fail (which I took). If it counted, I think it would fulfill my physics lab pre-requisite but it seems like it does not. I sent an email to the admissions office just to clarify why my lab courses weren't counted, but if there isn't anything that can be done, is my only option to find a way to take 2 semester hours worth of physics lab through an online course or at a community college?

Thanks for any help!
That's something you will have to discuss/explain directly with this school.

Is there a chronological order for II. Basically, if I submitted everything by a certain date and people who completed after me have received II but not me-would that basically be saying that the school has kind of decided that I wasn't a good fit?

Is there a chronological order for II. Basically, if I submitted everything by a certain date and people who completed after me have received II but not me-would that basically be saying that the school has kind of decided that I wasn't a good fit?
No there’s a lot of variation in when or if you will be interviewed

I don't think so, but I am not sure. Maybe @wysdoc could explain better.

No, most people have a shot until all the interview slots have been filled for that season. As it gets later in the season the chance keeps decreasing.