2023-2024 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you elaborate on this? What’s considered late?
Thanks!
Some DO schools interview as late as April

Members don't see this ad.

What's the longest someone has been on hold before getting a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students give their honest opinion on the program? Pros? Cons? I saw the step 1 pass rates and I’m a bit hesitant. I have an interview coming up. Thanks a ton!

Does Noorda accept letters of intent? I really like this school, and I’m thinking of sending one in 3-4 months around when right before waitlist movement starts.

Does Noorda accept letters of intent? I really like this school, and I’m thinking of sending one in 3-4 months around when right before waitlist movement starts.

Sent mine to the admissions email and they added to my file

Reactions: 1 user
based on last year's thread, i see it was mostly WL, accepted pending seats, or A as the decision post II, kinda of nervous now

There are some rejections. I believe the majority will get either a waitlist or an acceptance post-II for this cycle though.

based on last year's thread, i see it was mostly WL, accepted pending seats, or A as the decision post II, kinda of nervous now
lol I think I was the anomaly that got rejected this cycle from noorda

To be fair, I had a low MCAT and a mediocre interview, so it did not bode well for me

Members don't see this ad :)
They said that there was last year. I would think there would be some movement post-deposit deadlines, Dec 14th and April 1st.

Last year I believe waitlist movement started May 8th because they interview all the way up to April. It also looked like a decent number of people that used SDN on the Noorda thread last year who were waitlisted throughout the cycle ended up coming back to the thread in May-June to announce that they had been accepted off the waitlist, which was fun to read.

Last year I believe waitlist movement started May 8th because they interview all the way up to April. It also looked like a decent number of people that used SDN on the Noorda thread last year who were waitlisted throughout the cycle ended up coming back to the thread in May-June to announce that they had been accepted off the waitlist, which was fun to read.

Yea, it just sucks that we don’t know how many people exactly are WL then accepted since this is all self reporting.

Got the A tonight (6:30 pm EST)!! Interviewed 11/1, IS ORM applicant, 511 MCAT, something like a 3.5ish GPA, 1 gap year. I was impressed that they paired me with an associate dean who was involved with events that aligned with my interests. Wish nothing but the best for everyone in this thread, I’m happy it’s so active!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yea, it just sucks that we don’t know how many people exactly are WL then accepted since this is all self reporting.

Yeah, raw data would be much more satisfying to read haha. However, we have what we have, and I read the stories of probably around 15 people that were active in last year‘s thread where they got the II, got excited, interviewed, reported a waitlist, continued to be active in the thread, then reported an acceptance later in May or June. Obviously tons of people could have not gotten off of the waitlist, but a good good portion of active SDN users in the Noorda thread last year did. I‘m betting a lot more people got off the waitlist and did not report it on SDN as well, so the waitlisted folk have plenty of sound reason to keep hoping for the A!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students give their honest opinion on the program? Pros? Cons? I saw the step 1 pass rates and I’m a bit hesitant. I have an interview coming up. Thanks a ton!
Current 3rd year in rotations. I post a lot of my honest opinions throughout this thread, not sure if you can look up my specific replies. Feel free to DM.

Long story short, I've been really pleased with my experience so far. Passed both step and level 1. Rotations have been rocky but my personal experiences have been great. Being the inaugural class we've seen a lot of the kinks and issues worked out over the last couple years. Inaugural class first time boards pass rates are always rough, but should trend upward with each class after ours. I understand your hesitation based on my class data. Lots of opportunity for research. The professors are amazing and truly care about our success and learning. Most, if not all, are willing and eager to meet with students who have questions or need some tutoring. The culture and environment on campus is very collaborative (my cohort has been amazing and we are truly one big family). The new building is beautiful. :) The only big con right now is rotation sites have been more spread out than were originally advertised to my class. There has been a bit of commuting for some of my classmates. But, rotations are organized for you by the school, so you don't need to go out and find your own. Also the curriculum is pretty dependent on you being a self starter and self disciplined. There's not a ton of mandatory work or activities. That being said, if you do struggle with creating your own study schedule and need some accountability, we have an amazing learning services team that will help you and meet with you regularly to keep you on track. Just something to be aware of.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah. (If a student is around and can correct me if I’m wrong…please do.) They have people who are trained in physical exams that come in and guide you through how to do the exam. For example, one student said she did a pelvic exam on the person (volunteer/paid actor?) and it was great because they were able to tell her about their specific anatomy and how to do the exam on them. They have a large, high-tech cadaver lab and amazing simulation labs/simulation hospital rooms. They have a clinic built into the school for students to see patients from underserved communities.

Lots of places for students to study and lots of amenities (game room, showers) Everyone seems to be very supportive of being a part of a new type of medical school and they are developing the culture one class at a time.

There’s also golf course behind the school that faculty and students use, and quite the view of the mountains.
Just a small point of clarification… Our students currently volunteer at the Volunteer Care Clinic, which is a free acute care medical clinic that is run by United Way of Utah County and serves low-income, uninsured Utah County residents. The Health Clinic that is located inside our building is not yet operational, and the exact details are currently being finalized, but it is going to be more of an OMM/primary care clinic where our students will have opportunities to gain further experience.

Noorda-COM Admissions

Reactions: 6 users
Just a small point of clarification… Our students currently volunteer at the Volunteer Care Clinic, which is a free acute care medical clinic that is run by United Way of Utah County and serves low-income, uninsured Utah County residents. The Health Clinic that is located inside our building is not yet operational, and the exact details are currently being finalized, but it is going to be more of an OMM/primary care clinic where our students will have opportunities to gain further experience.

Noorda-COM Admissions
This is great! Thank you!

Noorda-COM Admissions
Do you guys have an idea of when the Health Clinic be up and running?

Would someone who has done an in person interview from OOS be able to pm me? I just have a few questions

Noorda-COM Admissions
Could you give any more information on the current clinical rotations situation? I have heard that Intermountain hasn't been as receptive to students as was originally planned. Do you have any idea how this is going to shake out for future classes since class sizes will only get larger?

On the WL thing they send out they say they evaluate everyone on the WL for spots. Regardless of order of II.

Hi! Does anyone know if this will be a closed or open file interview? And is there a major difference in preparation for either?

Hi! Does anyone know if this will be a closed or open file interview? And is there a major difference in preparation for either?

I‘m not sure if we‘re allowed to disclose that because of the NDA, but if you prepare for all of your interviews as if they‘re open file then you should be fine, so that is my advice to you.

• Care
I‘m not sure if we‘re allowed to disclose that because of the NDA, but if you prepare for all of your interviews as if they‘re open file then you should be fine, so that is my advice to you.
Thank you, that was helpful advice :)

Do you guys have an idea of when the Health Clinic be up and running?
The Health Center will have a 'soft opening' starting Jan 8th, with an advertising campaign to the community to follow after the end of the first quarter in 2024.

Reactions: 2 users
Could you give any more information on the current clinical rotations situation? I have heard that Intermountain hasn't been as receptive to students as was originally planned. Do you have any idea how this is going to shake out for future classes since class sizes will only get larger?
The following message is shared on behalf of Dr. Michael Rhodes, Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs

I wouldn't say Intermountain hasn't been 'receptive'. They actually created an Undergrad/Graduate Medical Education Department (which they've never had before) and hired a medical director. The challenge has been, that as a part of that new org structure, they're proposing changing their compensation model to their employed physicians. That has created more pushback from their docs and some disruption in rotations than they had anticipated.
  1. We're working very closely with Intermountain Healthcare officials, individual preceptors, UME/GME dept and individual hospital CEO's
  2. We're expanding our preceptor sites with new affiliations with HCA/MountainStar AND with Holy Cross to accommodate more rotation spots. The 'goal' has been to keep them as close to campus as possible (<45m) but some hospitals and physicians further away have expressed an interest, so we are onboarding and affiliating with them too, IF a student is ok driving further.
  3. We're working on a state/legislative level to find creative ways to incentivize physicians beyond just money.
  4. We're 'investigating' what an out-of-state cohort (i.e., Colorado or Idaho) may look like but no immediate plans.

Reactions: 7 users
The following message is shared on behalf of Dr. Michael Rhodes, Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs

I wouldn't say Intermountain hasn't been 'receptive'. They actually created an Undergrad/Graduate Medical Education Department (which they've never had before) and hired a medical director. The challenge has been, that as a part of that new org structure, they're proposing changing their compensation model to their employed physicians. That has created more pushback from their docs and some disruption in rotations than they had anticipated.
  1. We're working very closely with Intermountain Healthcare officials, individual preceptors, UME/GME dept and individual hospital CEO's
  2. We're expanding our preceptor sites with new affiliations with HCA/MountainStar AND with Holy Cross to accommodate more rotation spots. The 'goal' has been to keep them as close to campus as possible (<45m) but some hospitals and physicians further away have expressed an interest, so we are onboarding and affiliating with them too, IF a student is ok driving further.
  3. We're working on a state/legislative level to find creative ways to incentivize physicians beyond just money.
  4. We're 'investigating' what an out-of-state cohort (i.e., Colorado or Idaho) may look like but no immediate plans.
I truly appreciate the response! Thank you!

Pleased to say that I got waitlisted this morning. I am really really really hoping to get the A here, by far and away my favorite school I've interviewed at so far.

Reactions: 4 users
Pleased to say that I got waitlisted this morning. I am really really really hoping to get the A here, by far and away my favorite school I've interviewed at so far.

Send a letter of intent if you would matriculate if they extended an A. Letting a school know that they are your top choice helps your chances of getting off the waitlist!

Send a letter of intent if you would matriculate if they extended an A. Letting a school know that they are your top choice helps your chances of getting off the waitlist!
I was planning on doing so myself, but would it be appropriate for me to send one so soon? I'm not very familiar with the etiquette of letters of intent.

I was planning on doing so myself, but would it be appropriate for me to send one so soon? I'm not very familiar with the etiquette of letters of intent.

I have attached a great article below:

Some highlights from it:
1.) As for a timeline, there really isn’t one for when to send you letter of intent. However, only write a letter of intent after you have finished all of your current medical school interviews. You want to be sure that the school you are writing a letter of intent to is the school that is at the top of your list.
2.) ONLY SEND ONE LETTER OF INTENT. You are basically saying that if they accept you, you WILL matriculate. While it is not legally binding, if you decide on another institution after they extend you an acceptance, that will look hella bad and unprofessional. If you want to send letters to more than one place, send letters of INTEREST. This is not as binding but still lets the school know that they are one of your top choices. You can send a letter of intent to your top choice and a letter of interest to your other top choices (but you better go to the intent institution if offered an acceptance, so be sure it’s truly your top choice!)
3.) Make sure in your letter to include what you love about the program and what you could bring to the school. If you have other acceptances, mention that (generally, you don’t have to give names) within the letter. This can help show that the school is truly your top choice and eliminate that possible desperation factor of just trying to get off the waitlist. If you don’t have any other acceptances, just talk about how you would be involved in the school, give specifics, and talk about what you could bring to the student class!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Received the A today! Beyond grateful. Keep grinding everyone. It’ll happen eventually.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Posting this super late but I interviewed 10/13 and received an A on 10/24! Thought my interview went really well. If anyone has any questions about the interview format/ questions, message me!

• Care
Happy thanksgiving to my fellow waitlisters. Now all I want for Christmas is an A!

Reactions: 4 users
Also withdrawing my A. I loved my experience with Noorda as an applicant, so I'm kind of sad to be withdrawing (but also, I got accepted to my top choice, so yay!). Good luck everyone, and hopefully there will be more acceptances going out as more people start withdrawing. :)

Hi all,
Accepted student here. Any current students know what materials that incoming oms1 will need?
Thanks!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Is this school open to lower MCATs? I made a 494, but have a 3.72 gpa and excellent ECs.

Is this school open to lower MCATs? I made a 494, but have a 3.72 gpa and excellent ECs.
I found the following post from an admissions officer from last year's thread:

Noorda-COM Admissions said:
A minimum total score of 500 with subsection scores of 125 is preferred. While MCAT scores are just one of the many factors we consider when evaluating applications, the average MCAT score for the Class of 2025 is 504. Because the applicant pool is getting increasingly more competitive, I highly recommend retaking the MCAT and aiming for a score of 500+ to increase your overall competitiveness.

Best,

Kristen Anderson
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs

Btw people have gotten into Noorda with a 498+ as well! So if you get a score of 498+ you definitely have a shot.:)