2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah you’ll really have to look ahead at your exam schedule and see when you can catch a break. Once a month sounds physically doable but once you’re in school you’ll realize how much your time/energy gets sucked.

My mom is also old and I’m only an hour flight away, so I sympathize with you.
Thanks for the info. I'm just conflicted, because the other school is so close but it's mandatory attendance, traditional letter grades, and fully PBL, which I'm not a fan of. Cheaper tuition tho.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any tips regarding financial aid and what’s a good amount to take for living expenses? I don’t want to take out too much but I want to be comfortable and not stressing about having enough money. I’m just stressing about the four year loan total too much.

A lot of people just take out the max loans and pay back what they're not going to use. Talk to financial aid

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed on Tuesday! I have 9 As total but scattered around the country
Wow - what a rock star. Congratulations. I wonder if you were in my small group. I am from Kansas City....

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. I live 18 minutes from campus! Are you planning on committing if you get the A?

Could any KCU students or alumni who have bought a house please message me? I’m worried about third year rotations being away from KC and having bought a house, being in a bind.

Does KCU follow the 4 quartile system system on MSPE (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)?

I read on Reddit that only 1st and 2nd quartile are reported, while 3rd and 4th are not. But in the KCU handbook, it mentions that there is a 4 quartile system and your quartile is reported on annually (does not distinguish/clarify if any quartile are not reported).

Last edited:
So the Kansas City metropolitan area is huge and generally the further north from campus the safer from what I gather. For current students and alumni, what would you feel is your max commuting distance to campus without it hindering your studies? Thanks in advance.

Does KCU follow the 4 quartile system system on MSPE (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)?

I read on Reddit that only 1st and 2nd quartile are reported, while 3rd and 4th are not. But in the KCU handbook, it mentions that there is a 4 quartile system and your quartile is reported on annually (does not distinguish/clarify if any quartile are not reported).
yes that's correct, quartiles are recorded in 1st/2nd year and only 1st/2nd quartile are reported. If you're 3rd/4th quartile, there's just no rank info on our packet.

Yep - that's consistent with what I heard in my interview last week... :)

So the Kansas City metropolitan area is huge and generally the further north from campus the safer from what I gather. For current students and alumni, what would you feel is your max commuting distance to campus without it hindering your studies? Thanks in advance.
I would personally say 15 mins, and this is coming from someone who used to commute 45 mins one way to work every day. Do yourself a favor and save on rent by living in North KC or Gladstone.

Reactions: 1 users
Has there been any wl movement thus far this cycle for KCU?

Reactions: 1 users
thank you everyone for the help with my last question!

i was also wondering if KCU uses "in-house" exams (as in, the professors make their own questions) or if they use old STEP/COMLEX questions + questions from NBME? this is something new one of my friends suggested i look into since im trying to decide between two schools. she told me the school she was at only used in-house exams which made her feel like prepared for the boards. they tried to make more board-style questions in the second year, but she said it wasnt as helpful.

thank you everyone for the help with my last question!

i was also wondering if KCU uses "in-house" exams (as in, the professors make their own questions) or if they use old STEP/COMLEX questions + questions from NBME? this is something new one of my friends suggested i look into since im trying to decide between two schools. she told me the school she was at only used in-house exams which made her feel like prepared for the boards. they tried to make more board-style questions in the second year, but she said it wasnt as helpful.
KCU uses in house exams only. However, the 2 pass system prepares us really well for boards. There's no point in exhausting board prep resources in your first year just to forget the material by the time you get to the exam. Our 2nd year is when we start to focus on boards and we are given a lot of resources and practice materials as well as dedicated study time at the end of the semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from the 1/31 interview group in this thread? I remember on interview day that they're hoping to get decisions out 3-4 weeks, today is the 3 week mark. I know its super early by I'm just so eager to hear back lol

I interviewed a week ago and I am already super anxious. I am really anxious, so I feel where you are coming from.

Anyone from the 1/31 interview group in this thread? I remember on interview day that they're hoping to get decisions out 3-4 weeks, today is the 3 week mark. I know its super early by I'm just so eager to hear back lol
Interviewed 1/25 and haven't heard anything. They told our group they were shooting for 2-4 week turnaround, and I'm at the 3.5-week mark here.

• Wow
yes - it is just brutal! not going to sugarcoat it, this wait is killing me! I have four acceptances and the wait for those was nothing, but I live in Kansas City so THIS WAIT is like being hung by my fingernails....

Is there a groupme for students planning to go to KCU- Kansas City?

A today! Interviewed on 1/16/24, complete 11/27. LM 63.6, URM, OOS

• Love
A today! Interviewed on 1/16/24, complete 11/27. LM 63.6, URM, OOS
So...awesome!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!! What a great feeling..... I have only been waiting for a week and it feels like forever...

Submitted secondary 1/8, Interviewed 1/25, WL just now.
Line from their email reads: “The University reserves the right to call from this list through the first day of class in August.”

Wow it sounds like they're sending mixed decisions out today.... honestly a little bummed since I thought I did really well on the interview
I got an email before my interview saying that I had a high chance of being waitlisted so I was expecting it a little even tho I felt I did really good...