2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lmao, I was not questioned on anything regarding my app.
I guess it depends on the person interviewing.
I had a similar experience, but they did know where I was from so I assumed it was open file.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A at Joplin Campus (put no preference on primary) today like 5 minutes ago! Interviewed yesterday (1/23/2024) and had such a great time. LM 70 OOS. Super grateful :)

Reactions: 11 users
I live in sky and it’s been nice. Also pricey, but one of the few places that has a garage which is why I chose it.
Are there a lot of KCU students living at Sky? Its one of the apartment complexes Im currently considering.

to those who interviewed already and are awaiting a decision (12/12 for me), does your Workday account show that you have interviewed? Mine still has my interview as pending/to-do 0.0

2nd Year at the KC campus, "no preference" applicant, waitlisted applicant👋
You can ask me anything. We just got our third year clinical placements yesterday so if you have any questions about that I can also answer those.
Suggestions for housing: 531 Grand, Market Station, Pickwick, The Heights (Located in Gladstone, about 10-15 mins drive to school but located near all the grocery stores you'd probably go to anyway), Berkley Riverfront (parking is...not safe...but the apartments are decent), The OxBow, Flashcube, Arterra KC, Commerce Towers (NOT Century Towers), Quality Hill Apartments, Arte KC

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone willing to share their experience with the interview? I have mine on Tuesday and would love some insight! Thanks in advance!

Thank
2nd Year at the KC campus, "no preference" applicant, waitlisted applicant👋
You can ask me anything. We just got our third year clinical placements yesterday so if you have any questions about that I can also answer those.
Suggestions for housing: 531 Grand, Market Station, Pickwick, The Heights (Located in Gladstone, about 10-15 mins drive to school but located near all the grocery stores you'd probably go to anyway), Berkley Riverfront (parking is...not safe...but the apartments are decent), The OxBow, Flashcube, Arterra KC, Commerce Towers (NOT Century Towers), Quality Hill Apartments, Arte KC
Thank you! Did you hear anyone drop a lot or was it hard to stay in KC? Which were the most competitive this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if most KCU students live in 1 bedroom apartments or if most are sharing 2 bedrooms with a roommate? And how much of a cost difference is there for both options?

any recommends for housing in Joplin campus?

Accepted to Joplin campus this year and have toured quite a few apartments in the area. Loved The Plaza and 20th Place (a new apartment complex that's opening up, managed by the same company as The Plaza). Also heard good things about Copper Point Landing and Rustic Ridge Villas. From what I've heard from current students, those are pretty popular places to stay.

Did anybody you know drop a lot?
I have heard of a few people matching lower on their list, but the VAST majority of our class matched within their top 3 ranks. The people who matched low probably ranked competitive sites high and/or did not submit the letter the school allows us to write explaining why we want our top choice.

How are you guys showing all of the $372,000 for funding assurance? Lowkey do not have all that money sitting around right now

Interviewed on 1/31, but we were told up to 6 weeks with the goal of a 3-4 week turnaround. I'm guessing they told y'all different information?
We were told that as well, but it was also mentioned that there's a possibility of finding out within a week, so I thought I would just ask 😅

We were told that as well, but it was also mentioned that there's a possibility of finding out within a week, so I thought I would just ask 😅
Holy, I'd go crazy if they got back to me within a week! I'm sure we both killed it, here's to some good news in the near future!

Idk who needs to hear this but if you're an accepted student thinking about signing a lease at Century Towers, don't

source: live there currently
That place is ghetto asf. There were two shootings in that gas station last year lolz. Also, the gate was broken for some time so a lot of cars got broken into. Just don't do it and save yourself the headache.

Thank

Thank you! Did you hear anyone drop a lot or was it hard to stay in KC? Which were the most competitive this year?
Can you clarify what you mean by "drop"? Just want to make sure I'm answering the right question. There are now three KC area sites, so I feel like people were able to secure at least one of them. Granted, not many people were interested in the KC Rural site and got matched there but it's not a bad site. It changes every year, this year OKC was pretty competitive, which last year I don't think was the case. I think the stat released was that 90% of students got a site in their top 3.

Does anyone know if most KCU students live in 1 bedroom apartments or if most are sharing 2 bedrooms with a roommate? And how much of a cost difference is there for both options?
It's a good split between single housing and having a roommate. I chose single housing even though it is more expensive because that is what I prefer. Cost wise it has not been too unmanageable. I know a lot of people who rent houses as opposed to multi room apartments and that seems fun if you're into having roommates, but probably something you want to wait to do second year when you know people better.

Have you submitted your FAFSA?
What is FAFSA? I got an acceptance, but if I can't show all of $372,00 I'm worried they won't keep my offer. Most schools usually just ask that you have enough money to pay for first year fees. Also not sure if FAFSA is available for Canadians

What is FAFSA? I got an acceptance, but if I can't show all of $372,00 I'm worried they won't keep my offer. Most schools usually just ask that you have enough money to pay for first year fees. Also not sure if FAFSA is available for Canadians
Federal loans which I’m not sure about Canadians you can always contact the financial aid office for help as nobody can show 400k up front haha. You may need private loans

Received A on Feb 1st. Joplin campus. Interview in-person on 1/25. I completed II in mid-Jan. I thought I did horribly during the group activity, but I guess it worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Received A on Feb 1st. Joplin campus. Interview in-person on 1/25. I completed II in mid-Jan. I thought I did horribly during the group activity, but I guess it worked out.
Wow, congrats! Can't believe the fast turnaround. I interviewed on 1/31 on Zoom so I'm hopeful I'll hear something next week then! From what I read online, KC is pretty much filled and Joplin is near capacity too, but I'm glad it worked out for you! Did you have a preference for Joplin or did you state no preference on your app?

Can anyone speak on the general turnaround time for decisions after virtual interviews? I know it’s 4-6 weeks but has anyone heard back earlier?

Has anyone here completed the COB program and been given a secondary?

Wow, congrats! Can't believe the fast turnaround. I interviewed on 1/31 on Zoom so I'm hopeful I'll hear something next week then! From what I read online, KC is pretty much filled and Joplin is near capacity too, but I'm glad it worked out for you! Did you have a preference for Joplin or did you state no preference on your app?
Initially just KC, but changed to no preference after the interview.

Can anyone speak on the general turnaround time for decisions after virtual interviews? I know it’s 4-6 weeks but has anyone heard back earlier?
Many people have heard back sooner, though that was earlier in the cycle. My A was around two weeks after my interview but I was accepted in August.

Reactions: 2 users
Current KCUCOM students, do you guys have time to work a part-time job while studying?
Very very few people do, but more like PRN every third weekend or so, and it's all medical related so it at least counts for something on their CV.

Current KCUCOM students, do you guys have time to work a part-time job while studying?
I know of a couple students that do but would not recommend! The people I know that have real jobs, lived in KC for a while and were able to get a flexible schedule at jobs they had before enrollment. Easiest side hustle is uber eats etc. on post exam weekends. If you're worried about money, look into scholarships and the HPSP program.

Hey I am an accepted international student too. FAFSA is for US Citizens and for US residents (permanent residents, refugee, etc).

This is URL for the information:

I think you want to talk to KCU international admission about your concern before it’s too late. I don’t think they will be able to help you with this but will give you their official opinion.

Oh and you don’t have to have $370,000 in your bank account. You can include your grandparent’s/parents’ bank account and/or your sister/brother’s bank account as your financial assurance. Also, you can include other liquid assets such as stocks and bonds etc. PLEASE check KCU website on this information by yourself.

Last edited:

I asked KCU admission about this too.
Admission told me that KCU only have front desk and tutoring as on-campus jobs, and an international student is allowed to work only for 20 hours a week. if you still wanna do it, do it. I will do it.

Anyone know what rotations look like for 3rd & 4th year?
  • Are you usually at a few locations during your time there or are you bouncing around?
  • Outpatient & inpatient rotations, is there variety?

• Are you usually at a few locations during your time there or are you bouncing around?
So I spoke with an attending recently that went to KCU few years back, at least back then he said those that went to other locations in the country usually had all their rotations in one hospital. However, those that did their rotations in KC (Joplin campus didn't exist back then) may be rotating through different hospitals. This was one difference compared to UMKC and KU MD schools where they had one site. You can view it in a positive light where you are able to gain exposure to different hospital settings, but the negative is the constant new environment.

Second year here, we just went through the rotation match last month! There are over 30 options for core sites primarily in MO/KS but also in FL, CA, CO, MI, IN, and OK. You can also set up your own independent site anywhere you want. The KC sites have multiple hospitals that you rotate through, all the other ones are one hospital. There is a variety of inpatient/outpatient with some having more of one than the other. When it's time to match your core site, you get all the info on the sites and rank them on your preference. If you want a specific site for a financial or academic reason, you can write a letter for special consideration (I did this to get my site this year). This year, 90% of students got one of their top 3 choices. 4th year is primarily elective rotations and, with the exception of a few core rotations, we set them up ourselves anywhere in the country.

Reactions: 1 users