2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Placed on WL in late 2023 and this appeared on my Workday earlier today:

Incomplete

Test Scores Requested | Applicants to KCU-COB: This requirement is optional. For your convenience, KCU recommends sending your unofficial transcript documents to us at [email protected] so that we may complete this...

Is this a post II R?

Members don't see this ad.

Incomplete

Test Scores Requested | Applicants to KCU-COB: This requirement is optional. For your convenience, KCU recommends sending your unofficial transcript documents to us at [email protected] so that we may complete this...

Is this a post II R?
probably an error I have the same thing. It seems like its for the masters program they have

For those who are currently at Joplin campus and was on the wait-list for apartments under Bell Management, were most people able to get off the waitlist and find a place by the time to move in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I was recently accepted to KCU-KC and I was wondering if any current students can give me some insights on a few things I have heard about the school that makes me a little worried to attend here. I am very greatful to be accepted, but I am a little concered after hearing a few things that make me feel like maybe I am not a good fit for KCU. First, is the rumor that this school is more "rigorous" than other places. Is there any merrit to this? I have always had to work really hard to get good grades and I'm just not naturally gifted like some others so I am worried I will be one of the stragglers that has to remidate if the cirriculum is made to be especially difficult. Another thing I have heard is that the students at the KC campus specifically are not very friendly and have more of a gunner mentality. Also my interview day was just so negative the vibes were off compared to other schools I interviewd at, the students seemed so stressed and anxious and to be honest both the students and admin just seemed so unhappy (but also could be due to interviewing burn out/upcoming test). I know that a class with almost 300 students isn't going to be closely knit due to size alone but personally I think a supportive enviornment to work hard and grow as a student will be cruical to my sucess and I'm not sure if I can get that at KCU. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this as its really been weighing heavy on my mind and I must make a decision soon. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone this has just been an honest account of my experiences and the things I have heard from others. Thanks!

Hey there! I was recently accepted to KCU-KC and I was wondering if any current students can give me some insights on a few things I have heard about the school that makes me a little worried to attend here. I am very greatful to be accepted, but I am a little concered after hearing a few things that make me feel like maybe I am not a good fit for KCU. First, is the rumor that this school is more "rigorous" than other places. Is there any merrit to this? I have always had to work really hard to get good grades and I'm just not naturally gifted like some others so I am worried I will be one of the stragglers that has to remidate if the cirriculum is made to be especially difficult. Another thing I have heard is that the students at the KC campus specifically are not very friendly and have more of a gunner mentality. Also my interview day was just so negative the vibes were off compared to other schools I interviewd at, the students seemed so stressed and anxious and to be honest both the students and admin just seemed so unhappy (but also could be due to interviewing burn out/upcoming test). I know that a class with almost 300 students isn't going to be closely knit due to size alone but personally I think a supportive enviornment to work hard and grow as a student will be cruical to my sucess and I'm not sure if I can get that at KCU. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this as its really been weighing heavy on my mind and I must make a decision soon. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone this has just been an honest account of my experiences and the things I have heard from others. Thanks!
Hi. These are important questions for sure!
First, is the rumor that this school is more "rigorous" than other places
Yes, KCU's curriculum is rigorous, however, it prepares you really well for boards. The 2 pass curriculum allows you to go over every system twice before taking boards so you will have to study less because there aren't any concepts that you learned 2 years ago and never saw again like at other schools. I understand your concern bc I also struggle academically, I'm not going to lie, it's challenging but med school is hard everywhere you go, at least at KCU, I know the challenge is preparing me not just burning me out. There's also a ton of support and opportunities to overcome any difficulties you may have.
I think a supportive enviornment to work hard and grow as a student will be cruical to my sucess and I'm not sure if I can get that at KCU
You absolutely can find that here. I'm a KC student and I have so much fun with my class, nobody has EVER been unfriendly to me. Every class culture is different and it does tend to change from year to year, what I will say is having 200 classmates gives you lots of opportunity to make friends. I'm sorry your interview day was negative, but I honestly never hear that from pre-meds and my interview day is what made me fall in love with KCU so maybe it was an off day.

Bottom line: you're going to find a handful of unhappy students at every school, but if I had to go back, I would choose KCU again for sure and that's part of the reason I am active in this forum. But honestly, if you felt like it was bad vibes and you're not a fit, then go with your gut. Feel free to DM me if you have anymore questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. These are important questions for sure!

Yes, KCU's curriculum is rigorous, however, it prepares you really well for boards. The 2 pass curriculum allows you to go over every system twice before taking boards so you will have to study less because there aren't any concepts that you learned 2 years ago and never saw again like at other schools. I understand your concern bc I also struggle academically, I'm not going to lie, it's challenging but med school is hard everywhere you go, at least at KCU, I know the challenge is preparing me not just burning me out. There's also a ton of support and opportunities to overcome any difficulties you may have.

You absolutely can find that here. I'm a KC student and I have so much fun with my class, nobody has EVER been unfriendly to me. Every class culture is different and it does tend to change from year to year, what I will say is having 200 classmates gives you lots of opportunity to make friends. I'm sorry your interview day was negative, but I honestly never hear that from pre-meds and my interview day is what made me fall in love with KCU so maybe it was an off day.

Bottom line: you're going to find a handful of unhappy students at every school, but if I had to go back, I would choose KCU again for sure and that's part of the reason I am active in this forum. But honestly, if you felt like it was bad vibes and you're not a fit, then go with your gut. Feel free to DM me if you have anymore questions!
Thank you so much!!

The "more rigorous" thing is something I've heard of many times and it's hard to say where that comes from because obviously I've never been to med school anywhere else. As a slightly disgruntled and burnt out second year, I think the worst thing about the curriculum is the way things are scheduled. For the most part, blocks are difficult because of the short amount of time you get to learn everything and not because it's just inherently more difficult for some unknown reason. There are some professors who want you to know low yield garbage that isn't on boards and I guess that can be a factor. ECOS, which is our OMM + clinical skills course that we have for the entire duration of preclinical can be pretty awful with the amount of stupid little required things they make us participate in. OMM aside, these are actually pretty helpful and educational, but they can come at horrible times in relation to the other parts of the curriculum. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about KCU's curriculum being more difficult for reasons that nobody can seem to delineate.

As for the environment, I've never met anyone here that was outwardly gunnery or rude. In general, people try to help each other out by sharing study resources, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
This might be a weird question, but what's the dating culture like amongst med students? Is there a hookup culture like they show in the TV shows? I haven't been in a relationship throughout undergrad, but was hoping to meet some nice people in med school. Do people even have time to date and hangout with peers with all the studying?

This might be a weird question, but what's the dating culture like amongst med students? Is there a hookup culture like they show in the TV shows? I haven't been in a relationship throughout undergrad, but was hoping to meet some nice people in med school. Do people even have time to date and hangout with peers with all the studying?

There’s plenty of intermingling, both serious and not lol. I wouldn’t say it’s over abundant though. In general it’s a well known fact that dating in KC is rough. It’s just a matter of whether you want to date people in the sphere of classmates. A lot of people don’t want the drama that can come with it, but it’s personal preference at that point.

accepted students how long after ur interview did u hear & was it over email/phone/mail/etc? it’s been ~5 wks since my interview

Reactions: 1 user
accepted students how long after ur interview did u hear & was it over email/phone/mail/etc? it’s been ~5 wks since my interview
Late Jan interview, 1 week turnaround.

I think since it's already been 5 weeks, it should be okay to email admissions to kindly provide an update?

I wouldn't say there's a "hookup culture" but it happens and some people do end up in serious relationships. Two people in my class married each other so there's that.

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s plenty of intermingling, both serious and not lol. I wouldn’t say it’s over abundant though. In general it’s a well known fact that dating in KC is rough. It’s just a matter of whether you want to date people in the sphere of classmates. A lot of people don’t want the drama that can come with it, but it’s personal preference at that point.
Considering the class size is close to 250 at KC, do the people in each class know each other fairly well or is it like uni were people just attend class and leave

Considering the class size is close to 250 at KC, do the people in each class know each other fairly well or is it like uni were people just attend class and leave

That’s also personal preference. There are a lot of people that are consistently studying at the library and that makes them more social. But there are still plenty of times at mandatory events where I don’t recognize ppl bc they’re lone wolfs.

The only time I could see socializing being an issue is if you genuinely didn’t make an effort to meet people early on/are too afraid to just be friendly.

"If you are interested in applying for the KCU scholarship for students pursuing a degree in osteopathic medicine with a preference for students of Italian descent, describe how your heritage has influenced your decision to pursue a career in osteopathic medicine."

Can only Italians answer this question^^

Could any current med students tell me when when receive an email about financial aid and if there’s came with any scholarships or anything besides loans as well? I completed my FASFA but it’s still under review as of right now

Could any current med students tell me when when receive an email about financial aid and if there’s came with any scholarships or anything besides loans as well? I completed my FASFA but it’s still under review as of right now

FAFSA got delayed until March. They won’t be sending it to schools until then unfortunately.

Anyone that interviewed 1/31 still waiting for a response? I know they aimed for 3-4 weeks with general turnaround for 4-6 weeks, but I was hoping they got back to us sooner lol

Interviewed 12/12 and nothing, idk what to do at this point. Would reaching out be a mistake?
I think I remember during my interview day they mentioned to reach out if you haven't heard anything after 6 weeks. I'd say you're probably safe to reach out to them.

Any current students know roughly how long each block is, and the order for the first semester/ year? I've heard SFM is first and its about 4 weeks, but what about all the other blocks after that for fall and spring semester?

Any current students know roughly how long each block is, and the order for the first semester/ year? I've heard SFM is first and its about 4 weeks, but what about all the other blocks after that for fall and spring semester?
Depends on the block. Neuro is longer. it varies and exams are every 2-3 weeks. neuro i believe was like 8 weeks or something

Accepted a couple weeks ago. How do ya'll dress on a regular basis to class? I've heard of dress codes at some schools, but forgot what KCU's was.

Accepted a couple weeks ago. How do ya'll dress on a regular basis to class? I've heard of dress codes at some schools, but forgot what KCU's was.
During my tour they told me that the dress code will be switching to business casual or scrubs any time you are on campus...sounds like I will be in scrubs a LOT

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently todays was the last interview date for this cycle? Does this mean they will start pulling people off WL now?

During my tour they told me that the dress code will be switching to business casual or scrubs any time you are on campus...sounds like I will be in scrubs a LOT
That was a rumor. We can wear pretty much anything aside from tank tops and shorts (unless at the gym).

Anyone have any apartment recommendations? I've heard that Century tower's isn't that great, and I have a car, but my potential roommate does not.

Anyone have any apartment recommendations? I've heard that Century tower's isn't that great, and I have a car, but my potential roommate does not.
2nd Year at the KC campus, "no preference" applicant, waitlisted applicant👋
You can ask me anything. We just got our third year clinical placements yesterday so if you have any questions about that I can also answer those.
Suggestions for housing: 531 Grand, Market Station, Pickwick, The Heights (Located in Gladstone, about 10-15 mins drive to school but located near all the grocery stores you'd probably go to anyway), Berkley Riverfront (parking is...not safe...but the apartments are decent), The OxBow, Flashcube, Arterra KC, Commerce Towers (NOT Century Towers), Quality Hill Apartments, Arte KC
If you're referring to the KC campus, this user posted some recommendations!

If you're referring to the KC campus, this user posted some recommendations!
Thank you, but majority of these apartments are out of my price range. Is Century Towers really that bad? I currently live in a ****ty apartment so I think I can handle it, but I am genuinely scared about my car bein broken into, so I might just come without it for the first two years.

Thank you, but majority of these apartments are out of my price range. Is Century Towers really that bad? I currently live in a ****ty apartment so I think I can handle it, but I am genuinely scared about my car bein broken into, so I might just come without it for the first two years.

There's a high chance your car gets broken into regardless of where you leave it unless you park it in a garage with a gate, even then it's not safe. I've never heard of anyone having their car broken into at school though, campus security is pretty good. CT is not worth the convenience of living across campus or the price. Just take out the max amount of loans and find something under the 1 grand or so it allows for rent.

you need a car in KC, even if you lived in CT, there's no grocery stores within walking distance. I know plenty of student that live at CT and they all hate it. If your budget is really tight, look into north KC or try to get a third roommate.

Reactions: 2 users
If you choose to not live in CT with a roommate that doesnt have a car, they'll be highly dependent on you to carpool or drive them to lab and y'all might not have the same lab times, keep that in mind.

Incomplete

Is this a post II R?
i got the same thing in my portal but I just uploaded my mcat scores. i figured it wouldn't hurt

Apparently todays was the last interview date for this cycle? Does this mean they will start pulling people off WL now?
Holy moly....did I read that correctly?? 15 II's?
Man Body GIF

Does anyone have any tips regarding financial aid and what’s a good amount to take for living expenses? I don’t want to take out too much but I want to be comfortable and not stressing about having enough money. I’m just stressing about the four year loan total too much.

Does anyone have any tips regarding financial aid and what’s a good amount to take for living expenses? I don’t want to take out too much but I want to be comfortable and not stressing about having enough money. I’m just stressing about the four year loan total too much.
Just take out the max, you'll be able to pay it off

Can any current students provide insight on how often they're able to travel back home? I'd be a 2 and a half flight away from my parents and that's the only real reason why I'm having doubts about choosing KCU from an in state school. I really don't vibe with the in state program but it's really close to my parents (dad's late 60s) and I'm struggling with making a decision. My deposit for that school is due tomorrow and I was set on KCU until today because the reality of moving away is setting in.

Can anyone tell me if the school has a great gym for weightlifting and squats or a gym around the school to go to?

Can any current students provide insight on how often they're able to travel back home? I'd be a 2 and a half flight away from my parents and that's the only real reason why I'm having doubts about choosing KCU from an in state school. I really don't vibe with the in state program but it's really close to my parents (dad's late 60s) and I'm struggling with making a decision. My deposit for that school is due tomorrow and I was set on KCU until today because the reality of moving away is setting in.

Barring finances you really aren’t able to travel often. Unless you have the means to go on a random 2 day weekend there aren’t a ton of opportunities in our schedule (Labor Day weekend, thanskgiving, spring break etc.) to do something like that. I know some people who will do it for special occasions but it certainly is something they have to coordinate in their studies/plan ahead for.

Barring finances you really aren’t able to travel often. Unless you have the means to go on a random 2 day weekend there aren’t a ton of opportunities in our schedule (Labor Day weekend, thanskgiving, spring break etc.) to do something like that. I know some people who will do it for special occasions but it certainly is something they have to coordinate in their studies/plan ahead for.
I'd probably put aside my savings for random trips. I don't spend on anything else really. So would you say it's possible to go once a month or couple months on weekends after exams?

I'd probably put aside my savings for random trips. I don't spend on anything else really. So would you say it's possible to go once a month or couple months on weekends after exams?

Yeah you’ll really have to look ahead at your exam schedule and see when you can catch a break. Once a month sounds physically doable but once you’re in school you’ll realize how much your time/energy gets sucked.

My mom is also old and I’m only an hour flight away, so I sympathize with you.