2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current KCU students, would you recommend getting a scooter instead of a car? Or is that not advisable. I would be able to keep it in my room and its much cheaper lol

Members don't see this ad.

For current KCU students, would you recommend getting a scooter instead of a car? Or is that not advisable. I would be able to keep it in my room and its much cheaper lol
What would you do in the winter? This sounds like a solution that technically saves money but is logistically so much worse and terrible for your quality of life in the long run. Med school is already hard enough.

Reactions: 1 users
What would you do in the winter? This sounds like a solution that technically saves money but is logistically so much worse and terrible for your quality of life in the long run. Med school is already hard enough.
Is there a lot of snow in the winter?

Members don't see this ad :)
you better take out max loans for a car lol. Missouri does not plow so good luck scooting around snow. it's already difficult to drive in snow in a 4-wheel drive.

Reactions: 1 user
For current students, when did you guys start booking apartments if School starts in July? Were you able to find leases that start July 1, or do you usually have to get them early on in like May 1 or June 1 to make sure you save yourself a spot?

For current students, when did you guys start booking apartments if School starts in July? Were you able to find leases that start July 1, or do you usually have to get them early on in like May 1 or June 1 to make sure you save yourself a spot?
There's always apartments available. KC built a lot of apartments over the last 2 years.

How long of a lease would you recommend? Do people usually stay for the summer break for anything or does everyone leave?

How long of a lease would you recommend? Do people usually stay for the summer break for anything or does everyone leave?
I mean usually you would do a year unless you have a reason to think you'd move after first year? Even if you left for the summer you still need an apartment to come back to lol.

So the cost of attendance is based on 10 months, but how do you guys deal with the cost of living for the remaining two months. Will they give you more loans to cover those?

So the cost of attendance is based on 10 months, but how do you guys deal with the cost of living for the remaining two months. Will they give you more loans to cover those?
You will need to budget your funds to cover the summer months, or get a summer job

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I had a phenomenal mentor last year (when the program was called something else- SPARK I think) and I am currently a PASS mentor. I took all of my notes first year with my future mentee in mind and was able to share so much advice with her after we got matched. With the PASS program, you have to apply to be a mentor so if you get matched in the program just know that your second year mentor truly had a desire to mentor you. I think before, it was mandatory for the second years to mentor the first years. I just happened to get lucky and get a super cool second year mentor, but a lot of my peers had mentors that were not the best. But with the PASS program you don't have that fear at all.
Can you please DM me, I have some questions regarding PASS program

During my tour they told me that the dress code will be switching to business casual or scrubs any time you are on campus...sounds like I will be in scrubs a LOT
IMG_1454.jpeg

Me and the homies rocking up to absolutely bomb a test

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
You can get away with just having the adult one IMO. At Score 1 they always have extra cuffs to use. Never used the insufflation bulb in my life and I still don't know what it's for.

Also for the love of God, do not buy that $600+ ophthalmoscope that they say is "required."
Will any standard Ophthalmoscope work? any recommendations so I dont have to drop $800 on one item

For current students, did you guys buy your own scrubs or will the school provide them? Also do people usually buy them from campus store or amazon? And any specific color or design requirements?

Another question (not a super crazy one). When are we getting those patagonias

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
You buy both your own scrubs and Patagonia’s. For scrubs you can buy whatever you want. For patagonias, they have a sale once a year of a bulk order that we get in the winter.

Will the hospital not provide the scrubs?
You'll probably change into hospital-provided scrubs when rotating in the hospital that you return after your shift, but in general, you should be prepared to make your own purchases for scrubs. From your other posts, it appears that you are concerned about finances during medical school. The loans you receive should be adequate in covering any costs, if that was your concern!

For current students, did you guys buy your own scrubs or will the school provide them? Also do people usually buy them from campus store or amazon? And any specific color or design requirements?
Bought my own scrubs. They don't have to be fancy, I got a lot of Sketchers by Barco scrubs and they work just fine. No requirements on colors or designs.

I think my lease started at the end of June (June 20 something if I remember correctly) and I signed for 14 months.

We mass order the Patagonia correct? Also for current med students, any goodies or gifts given to students during orientation? :)

Oooo what swag
It was a KCU coffee mug, a few KCU shirts, and candy but this was during 2020 when our class matriculated while the pandemic was in full swing so YMMV. Usually the school will give you stuff around major events like the Match too, which was a shirt and sign to place where you matched.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey current students, for 3rd and 4th year rotations, do you usually visit the same hospital throughout that one year or are you travelling to different locations?

Hey current students, for 3rd and 4th year rotations, do you usually visit the same hospital throughout that one year or are you travelling to different locations?
For 3rd year it depends where you go for rotations. If you stay in KC you'll be at multiple places. For 4th year you're doing audition rotations so you will definitely be traveling.

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question lol, but do we return the iPads that KCU gives us at the end of our 4 years?

From the medical kit list sent by KCU, are there any that we should purchase directly from them, or is it just better to purchase everything from third party to save money?

For 3rd year it depends where you go for rotations. If you stay in KC you'll be at multiple places. For 4th year you're doing audition rotations so you will definitely be traveling.
Is it worth it to try and stay in KCU for your rotations? Or are the benefits not that tangible beyond not having to move etc

From the medical kit list sent by KCU, are there any that we should purchase directly from them, or is it just better to purchase everything from third party to save money?
just buy everything third party (i got everything from amazon), its cheaper

just buy everything third party (i got everything from amazon), its cheaper
Any chance you have the link of the ophthalmoscope you bought? The ones we can buy through the school store are $800 and the ones I've seen start at like $50-$60 on Amazon so I just wanna make sure I get something that's good enough quality

Is it worth it to try and stay in KCU for your rotations? Or are the benefits not that tangible beyond not having to move etc
That's a pretty subjective question. A lot of people try to go closer to home or to places where they have family. That didn't apply to me so I didn't feel like it was worth moving but that's just me.

For 4th year, would you be travelling to different hospitals in the same city or going to different cities and states throughout the year?

Any chance you have the link of the ophthalmoscope you bought? The ones we can buy through the school store are $800 and the ones I've seen start at like $50-$60 on Amazon so I just wanna make sure I get something that's good enough quality
this

when you join the facebook group for your year, someone should post an amazon link to all the items in the med kit, you can buy them from there if u want

I'm super concerned about third year rotations. I want to stay in KC!
All of my friends who wanted to stay in KC were able to stay here, especially since they added a new "KC Rural" site which consists of three hospitals/clinics each within a 30 minute distance from downtown KC.

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question lol, but do we return the iPads that KCU gives us at the end of our 4 years?
They are yours to keep. I also know of some classmates that traded in their KCU-provided ipads for a bigger one at the Apple store (paid the difference I guess).

Question for current students. On the technology guidelines, it says the recommended specs for a windows laptop should be i7 and 16gb ram. Is that really the case? I thought all I'll be doing is taking notes and web browsing.

Do I really need a laptop with specs that high or am I better off with an i5 8gb ram?