2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any tips regarding financial aid and what’s a good amount to take for living expenses? I don’t want to take out too much but I want to be comfortable and not stressing about having enough money. I’m just stressing about the four year loan total too much.
During first year I maxed both of my loans because I didn't know how this works and tbh did not know how much living expenses would cost. Second year I used my first year spending to take out loans to cover tuition and just rent... which ended up being too little. Financial Aid will work with you, they helped me out a ton when I needed to apply for more loan money this year. You can always reach out to them via phone or email and they will help you figure out what you need. Where you live will definitely play a role because one thing about apartments in KC is that there are a lot of fees you don't see when you see the number for rent. For example, my rent is around 1300, but parking is 90 a month, and internet is 77 a month, and electricity varies between 30-50 a month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
some random advice id like to give for people moving to kansas city I wish I had known.
  1. find an apartment complex with secured parking - odds are, your car is gonna get broken into (mine was even though there was nothing in the car)
  2. if its your first time moving and you are a sensitive sleeper like me, make sure to get a top floor apartment (ive lost too many nights of sleep cuz my upstairs neighbor like stomping at 3AM for some reason and I cant move out)
  3. the semester ends at the end of May (subject to change?) the following year so keep that in mind when signing a lease (usually people go home for summer and pay the rent during the summer months)

If anybody has any questions, shoot me a PM

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey congrats everyone with an A.
I’m also looking at attending this school as this is my one Acceptance so far.

Any accepted students interested in joining radiology student group and want to search for research opportunities together? DM me

Assuming you only get groceries once a week, can you not take the bus?
You're gonna need a car, lol. Eventually, you'll start rotations and need to drive to different location sites. You can't always rely on Uber or public transportation. KC is not NYC or Chicago in terms of accessibility to places. There are literally bums/crackheads right outside the school gates
( the school is located in an impoverished area). I used to see them while studying in one of the buildings overlooking the street. I'm sure you don't want to wait for the bus with them.

Last edited:
I just received the post-II rejection e-mail from KCU. They offered me a spot in their master's program which only gets you an interview with them the following year. Crazy! Why would I do that when I already have multiple acceptances elsewhere?

Reactions: 1 user
You're gonna need a car, lol. Eventually, you'll start rotations and need to drive to different location sites. You can't always rely on Uber or public transportation. KC is not NYC or Chicago in terms of accessibility to places. There are literally bums/crackheads right outside the school gates
( the school is located in an impoverished area). I used to see them while studying in one of the buildings overlooking the street. I'm sure you don't want to wait for the bus with them.
There are a lot of homeless people in Kansas City but I've ridden the bus as a single woman in her 20's without any issues. But you def still have to keep an eye out.

Assuming you only get groceries once a week, can you not take the bus?
Second year here. Also agree that you need a car. Even if you lived in CT which is walking distance from Aldi, you wouldn't really want to be walking around that area.

I just received the post-II rejection e-mail from KCU. They offered me a spot in their master's program which only gets you an interview with them the following year. Crazy! Why would I do that when I already have multiple acceptances elsewhere?
I'm so sorry to hear that :(
congrats on the multiple acceptances tho, i just know youre gonna thrive where ever you decide to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I was wondering any current students have any good living recomendations? Is there any one place where a lot of students live? Reading the reviews of union berkley I am a little bit concerned about the car break-ins and crime. Thanks!

Congrats to all that's been accepted so far! I'm a 3rd year at KCU-Joplin currently on rotations and open to answering any questions you may have! Feel free to message me and I'll get back when I can.

Reactions: 2 users
Any current med students live at Kinsley Forest Apartment? Also for current students, was the white coat ceremony only limited to four people tickets per student or will we be able to get extras?

WL/previously WL people — how soon is too soon after getting the WL notification for sending an LOI?? im not sure at what point people usually send them. i want to show im committed but i dont want to look as desperate as i actually am!!!

Sorry I’m not much help here… I never sent one tbh. I would send it sooner than later

For people who brought their cars from home states. How did you guys navigate getting your annual state inspection? Or did anyone register their car in MO after moving? Lower insurance??

For people who brought their cars from home states. How did you guys navigate getting your annual state inspection? Or did anyone register their car in MO after moving? Lower insurance??
You’ll probably have to register it to MO since youll be living there. Unless you’re really going to drive it back to your respective home state each time for an inspection if that’s what they do

Do any current students know if we need all three blood pressure cuff sizes for the medical kit? Also, do you use the insufflation bulb?
You can get away with just having the adult one IMO. At Score 1 they always have extra cuffs to use. Never used the insufflation bulb in my life and I still don't know what it's for.

Also for the love of God, do not buy that $600+ ophthalmoscope that they say is "required."

Reactions: 4 users
If you are able to avoid registering in MO, don't do it. They charge A LOT of money for registration here.

Hey guys I was waitlisted in November and have recently started receiving emails about Masters programs. Anyone else also receiving these?

Withdrew my A to KCU Joplin. Best of luck everyone! This is a fantastic school.

If you still have a home address (even under ur parents), you do not need to switch state tags.

do you know if they interview for waitlists?
They have a pretty good pool of WL applicants already, me included, so I think they might not interview for WL positions. not sure if this is accurate tho, so others might want to chime in

Is KCUCOM still sending out II? Has anybody gotten an ii in march?
KCU is not interviewing anymore - both classes are filled and people will be pulled off the waitlist as accepted students make their final decisions

Is the PASS program beneficial? Would any current students recommend doing it?

Giving up my KC seat for Joplin (I know people in Joplin)
Oh did that process go? I imagine it was easier moving from KC to Joplin campus? I remember a previous member who wanted go from Joplin->KC was told by admissions that he/she would be placed on KC wait-list.

If you still have a home address (even under ur parents), you do not need to switch state tags.
Just to clarify, so if I will still have a home address, the below steps still needs to be done?:
  • De-register car from home state DMV
  • Re-register car to MO DMV
  • Notify auto insurance company of the registration change
But the state tags (I'm guessing license plates?) will not need to be changed?

how is their waitlist movement? I was WL in the beginning of this year, do many people typically get pulled off the WL?

I just kept my registration in my home state and kept my state tags and license plates.

absolutely do it! You can learn a lot from your mentor. Your participation isn't mandatory so if you don't vibe, you're not forced to continue the relationship.

Yes! I had a phenomenal mentor last year (when the program was called something else- SPARK I think) and I am currently a PASS mentor. I took all of my notes first year with my future mentee in mind and was able to share so much advice with her after we got matched. With the PASS program, you have to apply to be a mentor so if you get matched in the program just know that your second year mentor truly had a desire to mentor you. I think before, it was mandatory for the second years to mentor the first years. I just happened to get lucky and get a super cool second year mentor, but a lot of my peers had mentors that were not the best. But with the PASS program you don't have that fear at all.

Any success stories for those in previous cycles getting off the WL?
I got off the waitlist 👋
I sent in a LOI I think a couple weeks after being WL in December and I think that is what helped me a lot. Waitlist does not open until May though, so it truly is a waiting game. I got accepted pretty early on after they opened the WL but I do know classmates who were taken off only a few weeks before orientation began.