2023-2024 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saw a Reddit comment stating another applicant received an early decision interview invite today!
Same

Members don't see this ad.

I did not have a question on ideal medical practice lol

in state, urm, 509 mcat, overall bcpm 3.57 but i did the unthsc masters in medsci and got 3.91... interviewed and was waitlisted this past cycle
Congrats. Are you applying early decision or regular?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not have a question on ideal medical practice lol
Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 7.10.19 AM.png
This is a screenshot directly from my TTUHSC secondary portal

Reactions: 1 user
Forgot to post but II a few days ago, EDP applicant LM 65, TTU grad and strong ties to Lubbock

Reactions: 3 users
LM 70. Complete date: June 26th! Does anyone know if they do traditional or MMI?

IS II this morning! Complete 6/8 and LM 75

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! The only available date I am already scheduled to interview with another school. What do I do?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats y’all. Eager to join y’all!!!

II earlier today! Lizzy M 71, complete mid June

Reactions: 8 users
"3. Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)"

Does an essay about how COVID impacted my volunteering opportunities qualify as academic?

"3. Please share any lessons learned during your academic journey. For example, a time a goal of yours was deterred and maybe even halted, how did you handle that situation? (250 words or less)"

Does an essay about how COVID impacted my volunteering opportunities qualify as academic?
What was the lesson learned?

What was the lesson learned?
I eventually was able to volunteer for the organizations that were unable to take me at first due to COVID restrictions because I never gave up reaching out and trying to working for them. The lesson in this case would be that when your goals are deterred, persistence is often rewarded.

I'm lost on what open and closed file mean. Can someone explain?

I'm lost on what open and closed file mean. Can someone explain?
"Open file" means the person you are having your 1:1 interview with has your application and secondary essays in front of them or has read everything.
In my opinion this is the best method because they can bring up something you have mentioned and ask you more about it.
"Closed file" means it's more like a blind date & you might feel you have to re-hash everything.

Some schools will cover up just the GPA/MCAT for an interviewer (but the main admissions screener has considered those already)

Another tip is to go over your secondary essays for a school before your interview - what you wrote on each of many secondaries will be a blur in your mind by then

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I have always understood open means everything and closed means they are missing stats. Have those definitions changed?

The process supposedly is to ensure people dont judge you based on your GPA and MCAT and only on your activities and essays in the closed format.

I have always understood open means everything and closed means they are missing stats. Have those definitions changed?

The process supposedly is to ensure people dont judge you based on your GPA and MCAT and only on your activities and essays in the closed format.
@wysdoc is correct. I don't think these definitions have changed much except that files are no longer on paper, so it's easier to redact GPA/MCAT/DAT/IA essays/race/ethncity/high school/college information from interviewers.

Could anyone share their knowledge about MD&E interview process ? Specifically, I'm interested in the engineering-focused part of the interview. What topics or areas we need to review ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Could anyone share their knowledge about MD&E interview process ? Specifically, I'm interested in the engineering-focused part of the interview. What topics or areas we need to review ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
For everyone's reference

I'm a current student here. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. It may take a while to respond, but I'll get back to you. :)

Good luck to those interviewing today!

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Complete 7/17

Reactions: 7 users
I just got the email for an invitation to an in person preview day. I’m an OOS and would hate to make the trip to campus and then not get accepted. Do they send this invite to everyone that interviews or is it a good sign I will be accepted?

I just got the email for an invitation to an in person preview day. I’m an OOS and would hate to make the trip to campus and then not get accepted. Do they send this invite to everyone that interviews or is it a good sign I will be accepted?
I believe it's everyone that interviews, since they show the QR code to sign up for it during the session too.

You already have been invited to interview, right?
Does this preview day fall after your interview date?
If it does, see how your interview goes & how interested you are in the school, then decide about a visit.

You already have been invited to interview, right?
Does this preview day fall after your interview date?
If it does, see how your interview goes & how interested you are in the school, then decide about a visit.

Yes I interviewed last week. I’m interested in the school but it is not easy financially to get out to Lubbock. (Yes I know we used to have to go out for interviews:) ) I would love to check out the school more if I am accepted but until then I am hesitant to spend the extra money. Is the preview invite indicative of a good interview or is it just sent out to everyone that interviewed?

Yes I interviewed last week. I’m interested in the school but it is not easy financially to get out to Lubbock. (Yes I know we used to have to go out for interviews:) ) I would love to check out the school more if I am accepted but until then I am hesitant to spend the extra money. Is the preview invite indicative of a good interview or is it just sent out to everyone that interviewed?
I don’t know the answer to that second part,

It is sent out to everyone that interviewed

Is the preview invite indicative of a good interview or is it just sent out to everyone that interviewed?
I don't know your interview day schedule, but I would send a meet-and-greet session invite to everyone who got an II. The real business is interviewing you in a manner that is most cost- and time-efficient. Showing you our campus is necessary if you got an offer or got on a waitlist to get an offer, and it's very nice to uncouple the pressure of an interview to the show-and-tell of our recruitment programming (student panel, facilities tour, etc.).

Hi, I received II, and I was wondering does Texas Tech send out a schedule or assign us a time for the interview or is it an all day event?

Hi, I received II, and I was wondering does Texas Tech send out a schedule or assign us a time for the interview or is it an all day event?
There is a schedule! During the interview period, which is like 3 hours, you will be assigned 2 interview sessions, 20 mins each! They can be spread throughout that period, or back-to-back. Before that, there is a presentation and mini Q&A. They were very welcoming!

Reactions: 2 users