2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What the heck is a prematch and what does it mean?
A pre-match offer is a true offer of admission, and gives you an early clue that the school really likes you and wants you to attend. If you get a prematch offer, you can take the pressure off yourself and know you are going to med school next year. Prematch offers are only for Texans applying in the TMDSAS system. Schools MAY begin making pre-match offers on October 15, but they don't HAVE TO.
In fact, UTMB let y'all know that this year they will hold off on making prematch offers until December.

Can I keep on attending more interviews after I get a pre-match offer?
Yes, you can, especially if you would like to give yourself more options or a chance at the school you "think" is your favorite. Sometimes your opinion of a school can get better or worse after your interview day, so your ranking of the schools where you interview can change with time.
But hey, what if the pre-match is to your dream school? Up to you: go to further interviews, or stop here.

How many applicants get a Pre-match offer?
For the first time, in the 2020-2021 cycle, TMDSAS published the data on how many applicants got prematch offers.
Here is the link to the data from my post in 2021: #46
Prematch offers go to a minority of applicants (1 in 7, or 14%).
Don't let this small part of TMDSAS Match system affect your self-worth!
Most Texas matriculants match on Match Day (this year it's February 16, 2024), having had no prematch offers at all.

Can I rank a school I didn't Pre-match with higher than a Pre-matched school? Will I lose everything if it doesn't work out?
You can rank your favorite schools in any order you wish. If you rank a non-Prematched school as #1 and they don't choose you, you still have your Pre-Match school to fall back on. Remember, your pre-match is a true offer of admission, and you can't gamble it away by taking a risk with your ranking list. If you happen to have more than one pre-match school, the one you ranked highest is the one you'll be going to.

If I accept or respond to a school that made me a Pre-Match offer, is it binding?
No, you are allowed to accept and hold more than one TMDSAS offer up until Match Day. You will come out of Match Day with one school only.
All the TMDSAS schools know the system, nobody will be offended if you wait until Match Day for your final determination.
From the TMDSAS thread

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised they have been sending them over so many hours now haha

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I might have been confused by the staggered times of the messages
Although it is unthinkable :p, sometimes SDN is not the first place people go to share their good news!
Family, friends, etc. or maybe they don't check their email until after work.

It's all good news no matter what hour it arrives

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Although it is unthinkable :p, sometimes SDN is not the first place people go to share their good news!
Family, friends, etc. or maybe they don't check their email until after work.

It's all good news no matter what hour it arrives

Of course. I just took certain messages saying they “just” got it as meaning they got it that minute. Was misinterpreting haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a lot of prematches in one afternoon and already the second round? Congratulations to everyone.

Looks like they have a big class for almost a brand new school.

Thats a lot of prematches in one afternoon and already the second round? Congratulations to everyone.

Looks like they have a big class for almost a brand new school.

Yep, they mentioned the class size is expanding for Fall 2024.

Just got the admissions committee review complete email 😩 this is not the heart attack I need right before bed

Just got the admissions committee review complete email 😩 this is not the heart attack I need right before bed
When did you interview? Manifesting the absolute best for you!!

• Care
For those who pre-matched when did yall interview?

For those who haven’t pre matched yet our time will come :cool: they’re making us wait to build maximum excitement!!

Reactions: 7 users
Not pre-matched yet. This is my only texas school :(
Would there be more prematches (hopefully before Dec 14) esp if there are prematch withdrawals?
The prematches can be offered for the next 3 months, they don't trickle out daily but are usually grouped after a committee meeting.
Remember you can match without having had any prematches.
What's special about December 14?

The prematches can be offered for the next 3 months, they don't trickle out daily but are usually grouped after a committee meeting.
Remember you can match without having had any prematches.
What's special about December 14?
OOS DO deposit deadline! Some of these schools are asking for $2000 non-refundable deposits unfortunately :(

Prematching would be a little easier on the wallet and mental health 🤣

Reactions: 5 users
When they said December 14 I was like yep. Cause I was facing the same dilemma.

Idk if this be foolproof but it seems like they’re using the same schedule as last cycle so here are the dates my neurotic ass gathered from last year’s thread:

2022-2023 Prematch Dates

11/11

12/14

12/21

1/23

1/24

2024 Match Date

2/16

• Love
Idk if this be foolproof but it seems like they’re using the same schedule as last cycle so here are the dates my neurotic ass gathered from last year’s thread:

2022-2023 Prematch Dates

11/11

12/14

12/21

1/23

1/24

2024 Match Date

2/16
The match date is in February? I always thought it was in March

2022-2023 Prematch Dates

11/11

12/14

12/21

1/23

1/24

2024 Match Date

2/16
Love it

OOS DO deposit deadline! Some of these schools are asking for $2000 non-refundable deposits unfortunately :(

Prematching would be a little easier on the wallet and mental health 🤣
I feel you 😪..

I just got the committee review complete email an hour ago. I almost crapped my heart out…

I just got the committee review complete email an hour ago. I almost crapped my heart out…
emoji43.png
emoji94.png
Just got mine too

I don’t see a Facebook group for the class yet. I suppose it’s a little early but I just made a Facebook only for that group 😂

I don’t see a Facebook group for the class yet. I suppose it’s a little early but I just made a Facebook only for that group

OMS-1 we didn't really have a FB group either til way later. Instead we made a groupme and sent it to the people that got accepted (wouldn't want to put it public yet in my opinion, will have alot of snoopers). Also some OMS-2 people joined to answer questions we may have during the process of matriculating. It was helpful and I would be fine with helping y'all out with info! DM me when/if you make one!

Just got confirmation that you can hit the accept button in the AMP portal if you get a pre-match. Not sure why they told me that you can hold multiple prematches until April 30th when match day is in February though.

Just got confirmation that you can hit the accept button in the AMP portal if you get a pre-match. Not sure why they told me that you can hold multiple prematches until April 30th when match day is in February though.
you're right Match Day is February 16.
Within TMDSAS you could stay on Wait Lists after Match Day if you didn't match at the school you ranked #1, up until May 15th.

Reactions: 2 users
I received a pre-match offer on 10/19 (2nd wave?). Initial interview was the 1st one on 7/21.

IS Non-trad, 34YO. Piss poor cumulative GPA. Decent sGPA. 4.0 DIY post-bacc 47~ hours which also fulfilled prereqs. 514 MCAT.

This was my only II thus far. I'm beyond excited (and relieved). I laid a goose egg last year.

Reactions: 7 users
I received a pre-match offer on 10/19 (2nd wave?). Initial interview was the 1st one on 7/21.

IS Non-trad, 34YO. Piss poor cumulative GPA. Decent sGPA. 4.0 DIY post-bacc 47~ hours which also fulfilled prereqs. 514 MCAT.

This was my only II thus far. I'm beyond excited (and relieved). I laid a goose egg last year.
Congratulations! All it takes is one.

I think we'll see that next wave of prematches coming out 2nd week of November. Only 3 interview days left for the cycle (11/3, 12/1, 1/19)