2023-2024 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also agree with @purkinjekitty & @Rite1234, the interview was low-stress and they made it so much fun! Had a great time meeting new people :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I opted to wait and interview on August 8th! can anyone recommend a good nearby hotel and how the parking situation was for those that have already interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the interviews are in person this year. @wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I opted to wait and interview on August 8th! can anyone recommend a good nearby hotel and how the parking situation was for those that have already interviewed?
There’s a hotel literally right next door that’s a bit pricey that some people opted to pay for since it was walking distance. There was a bunch of parking on campus if you choose to do another hotel.

Reactions: 1 user
Also their class size will be 162 this year with no more plans to increase!

Anyone not get an II yet that submitted "early". IS applicant, ties to East Texas (from Houston), complete 6/22. Didn't get a post-II rejection or anything so just curious if anyone is in the same boat!

IS II just now. Excited to check this school out in person! LM 64 (low cGPA, high sGPA)

• Love
Interview left a VERY good impression of this school. You can tell they worked hard to make it flow well and be as welcoming as possible for everyone. The med students all seemed very happy with the school too.
Overall very impressed. (The food was also great.)

Happy to answer any questions for anyone interviewing in the future. (just no asking any specific questions they asked us).
Happy to hear this!! I am interviewing soon. Just curious, did they mention if lectures are mandatory?

Any info on the class size for this upcoming year?
Current OMS-1 here, our class size is 162. They said in orientation that they plan to keep it around this number for all future classes.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any insight regarding how long we should give ourselves to prepare? There’s an option 2 weeks away and then a month away- don’t know which I should choose. (This is my first cycle applying so I’m not sure when people normally choose to do their interviews regarding how much time to prepare)
Two weeks is plenty of time. Make sure to review information about the school beforehand (mission, focus, etc...), otherwise prepare like you would for any other interview and be honest. Their interview process wasn't too intensive, so try to relax and enjoy the experience. Congratulations on your first II, and I hope you get many more!

Reactions: 3 users
Interview coming up soon. I had a question about closed file interviews. Im sure someone at the school screened our applications to decide to send out an Interview invite. So, is it just the interviewer that doesn't have access to your application?

I guess my question is, how likely is it to do great in this type of Interview but get a post Interview R due any of the stats in the application?

Interview coming up soon. I had a question about closed file interviews. Im sure someone at the school screened our applications to decide to send out an Interview invite. So, is it just the interviewer that doesn't have access to your application?

I guess my question is, how likely is it to do great in this type of Interview but get a post Interview R due any of the stats in the application?
They believe you have the potential to be apart of their 2024 class. It’s hard to say what will go into the admissions committee’s decision after the interview, but you do have the stats needed if they invited you!

Have my interview this Friday, anyone have some general tips that you wished you knew before going in? (I’ve done school specific prep as well as check out feedback interview for this school on SDN)

Have my interview this Friday, anyone have some general tips that you wished you knew before going in? (I’ve done school specific prep as well as check out feedback interview for this school on SDN)
Honestly very relaxing. I wish I stressed less haha

That’s what I’ve heard! I guess I just need to start believing it hahaha
They truly want you! I felt the interview day really is about them selling the school to you.

Pro tip for the writing portion is to bring a comfortable pen! I brought some extra pens and gave it to some of the other people interviewing with me :)

Bring some mints since your interview will be after lunch.

To everyone that has already interviewed:

1. Is there a lot of outdoor walking? Texas heat been different this year so want to be prepared
2. Did yall get a chance to ask questions throughout the day?

To everyone that has already interviewed:

1. Is there a lot of outdoor walking? Texas heat been different this year so want to be prepared
2. Did yall get a chance to ask questions throughout the day?

1. No, it’s all indoors
2. Yes you get to ask questions pretty much throughout the day

IS II !! first II ever and i'm a reapplicant, so i'm just super pumped :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
IS II !! first II ever and i'm a reapplicant, so i'm just super pumped :)
Congrats! You'll love the interview day they have. They really went above and beyond to make it super enjoyable and stress free. Best of luck!

• Love
IS ii today :) complete 6/25; 506 MCAT, 3.8cGPA

IS II, LM 70, Submitted 7/26!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm an OMS1 at SHSU currently (in like week 2 of classes), interviewed around the same day last year, which is insane to me. Advice based on how my interview was is whatever your response is to the questions, stand firm on it, a.k.a be confident. Try to compare the question to something similar you went through in the past, and relate it back to the question, it will make your response more genuine. Say "that's a good question, let me think about that for a moment" if you don't have an immediate response instead of saying "um" everywhere throughout your response.

The group activity is mainly focusing on how you work with others as a team and you don't want to steal the whole show and be controlling. Just have fun!

Good luck! What a crazy year it has been for me, and I hope you can say the same for yourselves in a year from now

It's all worth it

I have a buddy in your class. Stay strong! I hear you all are going through it right now.

Just received an email stating the admissions committee has completed its review of my application (post interview). Anyone else who has already done their interview receive this just now? I interviewed 07/21/23

Just received an email stating the admissions committee has completed its review of my application (post interview). Anyone else who has already done their interview receive this just now? I interviewed 07/21/23
I have done the interview and I got this same email. I raced here to see if anyone else had as well haha What does it mean?

Ya, we won’t be able to know any hopefully good news until October at the earliest

it just said they’ve completed the review? no other info?
This email is to notify you the Admissions Committee has completed its review of your file. No action is needed on your part. SHSU-COM follows TMDSAS's guidelines for pre-match and match offers.
SHSU-COM will not accept changes or documents not transmitted from TMDSAS. Submitting additional updates/letters will not have any impact on your application packet.​

+ 1

It’s not good news or bad news, just a neutral update explaining their evaluation process.
It also lets you know that sending any more updates after your interview day will not affect your outcome.

II , In- state received! Submitted 8/14.
LM 64
TMDSAS reapp, and interviewing again for this school :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II , In- state received! Submitted 8/14.
LM 64
TMDSAS reapp, and interviewing again for this school :)
Hopefully i can redeem myself after last year 🙏.... i interviewed 1/21/23 so it feels like a second chance i guess ?

Hopefully i can redeem myself after last year 🙏.... i interviewed 1/21/23 so it feels like a second chance i guess ?
They had been screening out lot of students aiming for high stats until this year to make themselves look good to the state. Now that they have state funding, I am guessing they are doing more holistic reviews.

• Hmm