2023-2024 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received
Not in a hurry to get it done since they wait for your mcat retake score

anyone not get a secondary? lol seems like everyone got one

Does anyone have some insight on PBL vs SGL?

Watch videos on their website. Be specific in your answer don’t give a willy nilly one. I think they put a bit of weight into you understanding the difference and mindfully choosing and sticking to your choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Watch videos on their website. Be specific in your answer don’t give a willy nilly one. I think they put a bit of weight into you understanding the difference and mindfully choosing and sticking to your choice.
Do you think it's a problem if I didn't select highly interested for any of them? I'm genuinely comfortable with both styles and wouldn't mind either option. I just selected "interested" for both since I don't have a preference.

Regardless, there's nothing I can do now anyway since I already submitted.

Do you think it's a problem if I didn't select highly interested for any of them? I'm genuinely comfortable with both styles and wouldn't mind either option. I just selected "interested" for both since I don't have a preference.

Regardless, there's nothing I can do now anyway since I already submitted.

If you are comfortable with both then that is just your preference and no one can say anything about it. If you are asked in II have a solid answer for both. I am not sure what it shows when choose interested. Do you have to write an answer for both?
I know that their main concern is that you need to understand that you can’t change later. sgl students can’t switch to pbl past a certain point while pbl may be able to switch.
You are fine. Best of luck! Get that II

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about the online courses section. Weren't all colleges online for a couple of years? Do they want us to list all the courses we took for that year and a half? Also, at the beginning of the pandemic, some of my classes were online for half the semester and in-person for the first half. Should those go under online or in-person?

I have a question about the online courses section. Weren't all colleges online for a couple of years? Do they want us to list all the courses we took for that year and a half? Also, at the beginning of the pandemic, some of my classes were online for half the semester and in-person for the first half. Should those go under online or in-person?
I'm going to list the classes I had during the pandemic. And for those classes with half in person and half online, I put that in parenthesis i.e. (partly online)

Rowan is the last school on my list to complete and every other osteopathic school that I had to applied to had marked my letters as received a while ago. Does it show that way for anyone else, that the letters are missing? I checked AACOMAS and looks normal on that end too.

Rowan is the last school on my list to complete and every other osteopathic school that I had to applied to had marked my letters as received a while ago. Does it show that way for anyone else, that the letters are missing? I checked AACOMAS and looks normal on that end too.
Yea I think they manually verify. A lot of schools do

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone get the email about the webinar this saturday? Or is it only for people who applied pbl?

One of the docs I work with graduated from Rowan and said they loved the SGL

I’m putting on my secondary sgl highly interested. I’ve learned a lot about pbl from here and other coms and it doesn’t see, for me

It completely slipped my mind that the webinar was today. Did they mention anything about it being recorded?

They started recording it in the middle lol. I'm not sure if they'll post it though

Has anyone had their application completed yet? Last year the time between when they sent out secondaries and completed applications was only 6 days.

I am still incomplete and I submitted within an hour of receiving the secondary. IS

Reactions: 1 users
How long are you guys making your responses? doesn't seem to be a limit on the portal

Does anyone know if the ED Program is binding? I know that a deposit needs to be paid upon acceptance through the ED Program, though several other schools have a similar ED system with required deposits and are still non-binding.

Does anyone know if the ED Program is binding? I know that a deposit needs to be paid upon acceptance through the ED Program, though several other schools have a similar ED system with required deposits and are still non-binding.
It seems like it is because they say it's for people who only want to attend Rowansom.

Hi everyone! I am completing the secondary and I wanted to get some advice on the optional essay about describing significant barriers or challenges I have faced. Is this really optional or will it be to my detriment if I leave it blank? Is this your typical adversity essay?

I do have a recent crazy personal health scare that would qualify as a significant challenge, but I already wrote about it in my personal statement and don't want to risk being repetitive. The wording of this question is throwing me off a little. Thank you for any help!

Hi everyone! I am completing the secondary and I wanted to get some advice on the optional essay about describing significant barriers or challenges I have faced. Is this really optional or will it be to my detriment if I leave it blank? Is this your typical adversity essay?

I do have a recent crazy personal health scare that would qualify as a significant challenge, but I already wrote about it in my personal statement and don't want to risk being repetitive. The wording of this question is throwing me off a little. Thank you for any help!
I don't think it's the typical adversity essay because they emphasize in pursuit of your professional goals. So they're asking if there was anything that got in the way of your grades or extracurricular opportunities if you want to explain any challenges there. You can reiterate something in your personal statement if you felt that it affected your professional goals

I don't think it's the typical adversity essay because they emphasize in pursuit of your professional goals. So they're asking if there was anything that got in the way of your grades or extracurricular opportunities if you want to explain any challenges there. You can reiterate something in your personal statement if you felt that it affected your professional goals
Thank you so much for clarifying, that makes sense. I had a feeling it was different than a regular adversity essay but was unsure what it was asking. The health scare I had was in April and because of this, I had to modify my studying for the MCAT and my application timeline to accommodate the recovery of my energy and going to frequent follow-up checkups this summer, so I guess it is currently a challenge I am overcoming lol. Do you think it would be a red flag if I mention this and acknowledge that I have a lower MCAT?

Thank you so much for clarifying, that makes sense. I had a feeling it was different than a regular adversity essay but was unsure what it was asking. The health scare I had was in April and because of this, I had to modify my studying for the MCAT and my application timeline to accommodate the recovery of my energy and going to frequent follow-up checkups this summer, so I guess it is currently a challenge I am overcoming lol. Do you think it would be a red flag if I mention this and acknowledge that I have a lower MCAT?
I'm not sure. I think it's more important to acknowledge growth.

Thank you, I will definitely frame my response to reflect on my personal growth from that experience.

ED applications for med school are different than for college.
Med School: You have to wait for a decision on your ED application before you can even send your AMCAS application to other schools. If you are accepted ED, that's binding.
If you are not accepted ED, you can then submit to other schools but depending on when your ED school makes this decision, it could put you quite late for other schools.

Please read this including all the FAQs for Rowan EDP Rowan-Virtua SOM | School of Osteopathic Medicine | Rowan University

Last edited:
ED applications for med school are different than for college.
Med School: You have to wait for a decision on your ED application before you can even send your AMCAS application to other schools. If you are accepted ED, that's binding.
If you are not accepted ED, you can then submit to other schools but depending on when your ED school makes this decision, it could put you quite late for other schools.

Please read this including all the FAQs for Rowan EDP Rowan-Virtua SOM | School of Osteopathic Medicine | Rowan University
On the website you just linked, one of the FAQs asks "Can I apply early decision to more than one medical school?" With the answer being "Yes, however the Early Decision Program is for those students who only want to enroll in Rowan-Virtua SOM". Does that mean we are okay to select yes to participate in the ED program for Rowan if we have already submitted our primary applications to other schools? Rowan is my first choice, and I will attend if accepted.

On the website you just linked, one of the FAQs asks "Can I apply early decision to more than one medical school?" With the answer being "Yes, however the Early Decision Program is for those students who only want to enroll in Rowan-Virtua SOM". Does that mean we are okay to select yes to participate in the ED program for Rowan if we have already submitted our primary applications to other schools? Rowan is my first choice, and I will attend if accepted.
This answer on the FAQ on their site is so ambiguous- I did see it.
My understanding is that when applying ED you have to wait for the answer before applying anywhere else. It’s a risky move for med school applicants
The only way to know for sure is to ask Rowan directly

Can someone please send me the secondary questions so I can pre write them?