2023-2024 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And did anythin change on ur portal
I didn't check ahead of time and haven't actually checked yet. I just got my official acceptance email a few minutes ago

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any advice for the interview? I'm so nervous... is the post ii acceptance really 90%?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for the interview? I'm so nervous... is the post ii acceptance really 90%?
The post-II acceptance rate is apparently even higher than that (94%), so you've got nothing to worry about! At times during my interview, I practically forgot that I was being interviewed because it truly felt like a friendly conversation. It was hands-down my favorite interview thus far. If you want to prepare, look through this school's interview page on SDN and get a feel for the types of questions they ask. Be prepared for the most common types of questions (Why Rowan? Why NJ? Why osteopathic medicine? Strengths/weaknesses? Can every even integer greater than 2 be written as the sum of two primes? If yes, provide proof). You'll be fine!

Reactions: 2 users
The post-II acceptance rate is apparently even higher than that (94%), so you've got nothing to worry about! At times during my interview, I practically forgot that I was being interviewed because it truly felt like a friendly conversation. It was hands-down my favorite interview thus far. If you want to prepare, look through this school's interview page on SDN and get a feel for the types of questions they ask. Be prepared for the most common types of questions (Why Rowan? Why NJ? Why osteopathic medicine? Strengths/weaknesses? Can every even integer greater than 2 be written as the sum of two primes? If yes, provide proof). You'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Do we ever have to speak during the mandatory orientation tomorrow

Do we turn our cameras on for orientation?

Do they email the orientation thing? I never received a link or anything for that.

Do we turn our cameras on for orientation?
I turned on my screen. I think some people did not though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard adcom meets first Friday of the month, since I interviewed 1-17 I hope I hear back today. V nervous

Good luck! That’s so odd because mine is in a few days and they still haven’t emailed a flyer or anything
As odd as it may sound, your interview orientation doesn’t necessarily have to take place before your interview. I interviewed last week and my ‘interview orientation’ is today.

Is anyone else still waiting for the host to admit them?

As odd as it may sound, your interview orientation doesn’t necessarily have to take place before your interview. I interviewed last week and my ‘interview orientation’ is today.
Ya had a friend who had orientation after their interview as well

Congrats. Nothing for me 1-17 so I don’t know if it’s coming any more or if I should email admissions or what
Have patience, I had to wait over a month. It also depends on how long your interviewer takes to get their review in.

interviewed 1/24 too havent heard anything so now im freaking out a little o_O

I still am since I was earlier 1/17 and have not heard I’m like should I email Accomodation to see what my status is like if my interviewer submitter her notes or is it too early

interviewed 1/24 too havent heard anything so now im freaking out a little o_O

I still am since I was earlier 1/17 and have not heard I’m like should I email Accomodation to see what my status is like if my interviewer submitter her notes or is it too early

i would probably wait another week or so. did they even say how long it would take to hear back? most schools say 4-6 weeks but i dont think my interviewer even gave me a range

Guys, calm down. It’s only February 6th. I waited over a month to hear back on my acceptance. Chill pill

Hello, I submitted my secondary early September and have not heard anything back... Is there anyone who submitted their secondary in Sep and recieved an II? I obtained an email stating my file is complete in December and silence since then. Thanks in advance! I am also OOS so maybe that is a factor too.

Hello, I submitted my secondary early September and have not heard anything back... Is there anyone who submitted their secondary in Sep and recieved an II? I obtained an email stating my file is complete in December and silence since then. Thanks in advance! I am also OOS so maybe that is a factor too.
I submitted mine in the middle of August, which is close to your date. I recommend writing a letter of continued interest if you’re really interested in the school. After that, try calling the school, asking them if they received your letter and stating your extreme interest in the school.

I submitted mine in the middle of August, which is close to your date. I recommend writing a letter of continued interest if you’re really interested in the school. After that, try calling the school, asking them if they received your letter and stating your extreme interest in the school.
Thank you for your response! I did send them an email last week but no response yet. I will try calling and see.

Can any current students answer these questions!!?

- How is the curriculum and the structure for SGL?
- Are the exams mainly in-house or do they reflect the boards?
- Do you feel that the curriculum sets you up for the boards?
- Is the student environment collaborative?
- Are exams on Fridays or sparse throughout the weeks?
- For rotation sites, can you do home-state advantage? (for those who are OOS lol)
- Is the administration responsive/kind?
- Do you get time off before blocks? (lol I am comparing this to WVSOM since they have Friday exams and week off between blocks!)
- What are the major CONS of the school? (I've heard so many great things so far 😅)

Thank you so much 😄

- For rotation sites, can you do home-state advantage? (for those who are OOS lol)
- Do you get time off before blocks? (lol I am comparing this to WVSOM since they have Friday exams and week off between blocks!)
- What are the major CONS of the school? (I've heard so many great things so far )

Thank you so much

You can find third year rotation sites on their website if you dig. It’s New Jersey with I think one in PA so you will be most likely rotating in NJ

mine was completed first week of november and i submitted september... haven't heard a single thing. went to make an appt and they cancelled a few hours before saying they didn't realize the system made late night appointments.

• Sad
Are they still sending out IIs? Submitted 9/06, took 3 months to be complete (12/07), OOS, haven’t heard anything. How late in the interview season do they interview?

mine was completed first week of november and i submitted september... haven't heard a single thing. went to make an appt and they cancelled a few hours before saying they didn't realize the system made late night appointments.
oh, that's so sad to hear... hopefully we will get a response soon!

Are they still sending out IIs? Submitted 9/06, took 3 months to be complete (12/07), OOS, haven’t heard anything. How late in the interview season do they interview?
Your timeline is similar to mine. I haven't heard anything yet but I saw that they will continue the cycle till May.

- What are the major CONS of the school? (I've heard so many great things so far 😅)

Thank you so much 😄
SGL Stratford here. I'll take a stab at this.

Learn lecture content (most of us watch them as remote recordings). Take exams roughly every 3 weeks. System blocks can run for anywhere from 1-3 months. Other stuff thrown in throughout the week that is typically in-person: OMM, Ultrasound, Procedures, etc. Overall, a pretty standard lecture-based curriculum (that is true P/F - huge perk).

A blend. The SGL curriculum definitely goes a little deeper than what boards cover, but overall board content determines what topics lecturers are gonna cover.

I think so, we'll find out when I take boards. Many students do relevant board prep alongside the main curriculum (Boards and Beyond, sketchy, Pathoma, anKing deck).

Yes. 100%.

Mostly on Fridays, which is great because then you can take the weekend fully off.

I'm unsure what this means. If the question is "can I rotate in my home state" then no, we don't make students find their own rotation sites. We have rotations secured for all students, with no significant moving-around required (compared to some of the newer private DO schools that are sending students several states away to rotate). The student body is overwhelmingly in-state. Like 80-90%. Most rotation sites are in-state. Farthest you can go to rotate is North Jersey or go South to Delaware.

Yeah, I'd say they do a good job. They're very responsive and always hear out our concerns.

SGL get's a true green weekend every 2-3 weeks. Test Friday AM, off until Monday AM. Overall, the remote/recorded options for lectures (and P/F taking tons of academic pressure off) allow for a lot of free/flexible time compared to my friends at other medical schools. In the SGL, because you have multiple exams per block, you can build up a grade-buffer. Not saying this is always a responsible thing to do, just making a point about the flexibility.
Example: you have 4 exams in a unit. You get 85% on exams 1, 2, 3. You now only need a 25% on the last exam (4) to pass the block with a 70%. You now have a ton of free time for 2-3 weeks because you don't need to score well to pass

Honestly I think Rowan is one of the best DO schools. I chose it over many other DO options. True P/F preclinical curriculum. Fewer rotation issues than most other DO schools. More research than other DO schools. Affiliated with a large university. Affiliated with a large hospital system. This school has none of the problems that typically plague DO schools. If you're in-state and getting the tuition savings, it's a no-brainer.

Perk/con (depends): Large class size.
288 over the 2 campuses. Large class size means you have more options to find people you like, but also the class isn't as cohesive because everybody doesn't know eachother.

Perk/con (depends): being in South Jersey.
The school is nestled between Philly and Atlantic City so that's a great perk, and near the 24/7 PATCO train so getting in/out of Philly is easy, even after a night out.

The con part though is that for South Jersey, the population is not very college-aged, given that we're 35 mins away from the Rowan Undergrad/Main campus. If you're a "going-out" young person, you need to go into Philly to do anything that is fun/trendy. Some people even live in Philly for this reason, and commute into Jersey to attend the school.

I do wanna stress that the student body is 90% in-state and most people are happy in South Jersey because that's exactly what they wanted.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
does anyone know how frequently the adcom meets to make decisions post-interview?

Learn lecture content (most of us watch them as remote recordings). Take exams roughly every 3 weeks. System blocks can run for anywhere from 1-3 months. Other stuff thrown in throughout the week that is typically in-person: OMM, Ultrasound, Procedures, etc. Overall, a pretty standard lecture-based curriculum (that is true P/F - huge perk).

A blend. The SGL curriculum definitely goes a little deeper than what boards cover, but overall board content determines what topics lecturers are gonna cover.

I think so, we'll find out when I take boards. Many students do relevant board prep alongside the main curriculum (Boards and Beyond, sketchy, Pathoma, anKing deck).

Yes. 100%.

Mostly on Fridays, which is great because then you can take the weekend fully off.

I'm unsure what this means. If the question is "can I rotate in my home state" then no, we don't make students find their own rotation sites. We have rotations secured for all students, with no significant moving-around required (compared to some of the newer private DO schools that are sending students several states away to rotate). The student body is overwhelmingly in-state. Like 80-90%. Most rotation sites are in-state. Farthest you can go to rotate is North Jersey or go South to Delaware.

Yeah, I'd say they do a good job. They're very responsive and always hear out our concerns.

SGL get's a true green weekend every 2-3 weeks. Test Friday AM, off until Monday AM. Overall, the remote/recorded options for lectures (and P/F taking tons of academic pressure off) allow for a lot of free/flexible time compared to my friends at other medical schools. In the SGL, because you have multiple exams per block, you can build up a grade-buffer. Not saying this is always a responsible thing to do, just making a point about the flexibility.
Example: you have 4 exams in a unit. You get 85% on exams 1, 2, 3. You now only need a 25% on the last exam (4) to pass the block with a 70%. You now have a ton of free time for 2-3 weeks because you don't need to score well to pass

Honestly I think Rowan is one of the best DO schools. I chose it over many other DO options. True P/F preclinical curriculum. Fewer rotation issues than most other DO schools. More research than other DO schools. Affiliated with a large university. Affiliated with a large hospital system. This school has none of the problems that typically plague DO schools. If you're in-state and getting the tuition savings, it's a no-brainer.

288 over the 2 campuses. Large class size means you have more options to find people you like, but also the class isn't as cohesive because everybody doesn't know eachother.

The school is nestled between Philly and Atlantic City so that's a great perk, and near the 24/7 PATCO train so getting in/out of Philly is easy, even after a night out.

The con part though is that for South Jersey, the population is not very college-aged, given that we're 35 mins away from the Rowan Undergrad/Main campus. If you're a "going-out" young person, you need to go into Philly to do anything that is fun/trendy. Some people even live in Philly for this reason, and commute into Jersey to attend the school.

I do wanna stress that the student body is 90% in-state and most people are happy in South Jersey because that's exactly what they wanted.
Would it be ok if I messaged you a few questions about the day to day stuff in SGL?

does anyone know how frequently the adcom meets to make decisions post-interview?

From cycle track, they meet at least the first Friday of the month. Maybe more often, too, but it seems most As are sent that Friday or following Monday/Tuesday

Yes. 100%.

This is AMAZING! Thank you so much for the in-depth response!
In terms of remediation policy, how does that work? I heard that if you fail a class within the block (less than 69.45%) then you have to remediate. However, like you mentioned with buffering, I heard that it isn't likely for students to be failing because of the quizzes, assignments, and other exams alongside the course. Would that be true to assume?
Thank you again :)

This is AMAZING! Thank you so much for the in-depth response!
In terms of remediation policy, how does that work? I heard that if you fail a class within the block (less than 69.45%) then you have to remediate. However, like you mentioned with buffering, I heard that it isn't likely for students to be failing because of the quizzes, assignments, and other exams alongside the course. Would that be true to assume?
Thank you again :)
Don't worry about failing. Quizzes/other assignments almost always boost your grade. Extra resources are always available if you need it. I think it's very very very hard to fail an SGL block if you're studying a normal amount.

I just got the acceptance email!!! Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Never got the acceptance email, but I got an invitation to accepted students day, checked the portal, and it was there. It’s asking me for a banner id though on the portal? Maybe that’s in my missing email?

accepted today!!! Good luck to everyone. Interviewed 01/26. MCAT 504 and 4.0 GPA! PM if you want need more info about my application.

OOS A earlier this evening, interviewed 2/5. Was really surprised by the quick turn around on the decision!