2023-2024 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do y'all have any advice on housing? Like how are we supposed to get housing? Am I relying on loans to pay monthly? Im super unfamiliar with this and any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email and assigment to athens… rlly sad cuz i wanted augusta. Anyone know if we can still be considered for main campus? I actually emailed the admission team and asked lol but anyone know if they honor the request? They cant be done with all the assignments cuz i know ppl who just got in last week.
Do you mean you know people who got off the waitlist last week?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what they estimate as the cost of attendance for Augusta campus?

Does anyone know if the Athens campus has an in campus housing option?

I was sent this by email from MCG financial aid
Screenshot_20240316_212859_Drive.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any updates on WL movement? Or info from admissions about WL this year.

Reactions: 4 users
Can someone please screenshot on MSAR the info about waitlist amount and how many get accepted? Mine expired from last year

Can someone please screenshot on MSAR the info about waitlist amount and how many get accepted? Mine expired from last year
Unfortunately, MCG doesn't release any waitlist data on MSAR, they’ve historically kept that secret with their admissions data. I’ve only heard anecdotally from other previous applicants, and based on my last cycle’s experience with the WL, that WL movement is fast during the first 1-2 weeks of May and if you don’t hear back from them after those 1-2 weeks, your chances of getting out get substantially lower.

The only other thing I know with the waitlist is that if you do get out of the waitlist, you don’t get a say on which campus they’ll send you to as the campus availability probably depends on which campus spot becomes open, like if an applicant chose to go to another school that gave them an acceptance and they opt out of MCG’s WL for example.

Unfortunately, MCG doesn't release any waitlist data on MSAR, they’ve historically kept that secret with their admissions data. I’ve only heard anecdotally from other previous applicants, and based on my last cycle’s experience with the WL, that WL movement is fast during the first 1-2 weeks of May and if you don’t hear back from them after those 1-2 weeks, your chances of getting out get substantially lower.

The only other thing I know with the waitlist is that if you do get out of the waitlist, you don’t get a say on which campus they’ll send you to as the campus availability probably depends on which campus spot becomes open, like if an applicant chose to go to another school that gave them an acceptance and they opt out of MCG’s WL for example.
Ahh got it thank you. Yea that's what I was thinking too as based off the last couple of years on here it seems a lot of movement first 2 weeks of May so really hoping for something then!

I heard a lot of the class gets off the WL, is this true?
Well, in the GroupMe there’s already currently about 270 people in the GroupMe, so most of the class is filled pre-WL movement, so idk how true that is. While there is the factor of several students probably going to go to another school and declining their MCG acceptances, I’m not certain how many more seats are gonna be vacant on top of the 30-ish unfilled seats that are up for grabs from the WL movement in May.

Well, in the GroupMe there’s already currently about 270 people in the GroupMe, so most of the class is filled pre-WL movement, so idk how true that is. While there is the factor of several students probably going to go to another school and declining their MCG acceptances, I’m not certain how many more seats are gonna be vacant on top of the 30-ish unfilled seats that are up for grabs from the WL movement in May.
That is the number of accepted students who decided to join the group chat, but there is likely a good number of people in that group me who will choose to go somewhere other than mcg when they have to narrow down acceptances to one school at the beginning of may. At the campus tour, they told me that they historically get pretty far down the waitlist and past/current students say the same. Stay strong, it ain’t over til it’s over 🤞

Members don't see this ad :)
Also worth noting, a fair few of the people in the GroupMe are already MCG students, so they're not filling M1 seats. There are at least 14 current students in there by my count.

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering, I know Savannah and augusta curriculum are the same basically. So is the only time we don't have to go in person just Thursday afternoons? Idk why I thought there were lectures that weren't mandatory and we can attend live or watch from home?

Attachments

• 20240222_151427.jpg
    20240222_151427.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 113
I was wondering, I know Savannah and augusta curriculum are the same basically. So is the only time we don't have to go in person just Thursday afternoons? Idk why I thought there were lectures that weren't mandatory and we can attend live or watch from home?
some lectures are recorded. that's what the students in the q&a part of the MMI said.

some lectures are recorded. that's what the students in the q&a part of the MMI said.
I saw that too but based off the schedule it doesn't show anytime for lectures. Like the light blue is the only area I assume it would be under but it says in class review? Unless lectures aren't factored into the schedule and that's considered separate hours idk

I saw that too but based off the schedule it doesn't show anytime for lectures. Like the light blue is the only area I assume it would be under but it says in class review? Unless lectures aren't factored into the schedule and that's considered separate hours idk
Light blue are lectures, all of which are recorded and not mandatory attendance except on the rare occasion it’s the dean lecturing. Anything “non-facilitated” is also free time. PCL clinical experience is one afternoon per month.

Light blue are lectures, all of which are recorded and not mandatory attendance except on the rare occasion it’s the dean lecturing. Anything “non-facilitated” is also free time. PCL clinical experience is one afternoon per month.
Ahh thank you that's much more clear lol. So basically:

Mondays: in person is only purple and orange
Tuesdays: in person is only the PCL clinical experience (once a month), can students do all of Tuesdays from home (unless want to attend in person of course)?
Wednesday: in person PCL small groups otherwise everything else can do from home
Thursday: in person for morning then go home after lunch
Friday: in person for red and blue

Sorry comparing schools and really trying to get an idea of curriculum styles

Ahh thank you that's much more clear lol. So basically:

Mondays: in person is only purple and orange
Tuesdays: in person is only the PCL clinical experience (once a month), can students do all of Tuesdays from home (unless want to attend in person of course)?
Wednesday: in person PCL small groups otherwise everything else can do from home
Thursday: in person for morning then go home after lunch
Friday: in person for red and blue

Sorry comparing schools and really trying to get an idea of curriculum styles
Correct. You'll end up having one day/week you're completely free to do from home, except once a month when you have the clinical experience. My M1 year I was hardly on campus lol.

Correct. You'll end up having one day/week you're completely free to do from home, except once a month when you have the clinical experience. My M1 year I was hardly on campus lol.
Awesome good to know. Thanks a lot!!

Any chance you have the link to this image?

any campus assignments this week?! This is the worst process

Thank you! If only we knew how many were waitlisted lol
in my interview they said they interviewed ~600 people last year & they had 264 spots last year, so that means there were a maximum of 336 waitlist spots, but based on what people have reported on SDN in the last few years' threads (& taking into account people who don't have SDN or don't post f/u on rejections) at least abt 50 ish people get rejected post ii, so I think WL could be as many as 286 people last year. this year, I would expect more than that bc of the additional 40 seats, but it doesn't seem like they interviewed too many more people this year (based on available info abt interview dates & knowing there were 16 people on my interview date & 3 interview dates a week) so the WL might not be much more. also, anecdotally, I have been informed by MDs that ik who have worked on admissions boards that typically they have enough WL spots to replace the entire class if they had to.

obviously these calculations are based on delusion and having too much time on my hands thinking abt being WL, but I think we should expect a decent WL size. additionally, I think WL movement happens later at MCG than other schools possibly bc it is GA's only public medical school so it has less competition for IS tuition incentive than other states that have more public schools.

on the bright side, literally everyone ik who has attended or is currently attending MCG came off the WL & a close friend is an M1 @ Athens who said abt half her class is from the WL (also anecdotal but I need positivity), so there's definitely hope

Reactions: 4 users
in my interview they said they interviewed ~600 people last year & they had 264 spots last year, so that means there were a maximum of 336 waitlist spots, but based on what people have reported on SDN in the last few years' threads (& taking into account people who don't have SDN or don't post f/u on rejections) at least abt 50 ish people get rejected post ii, so I think WL could be as many as 286 people last year. this year, I would expect more than that bc of the additional 40 seats, but it doesn't seem like they interviewed too many more people this year (based on available info abt interview dates & knowing there were 16 people on my interview date & 3 interview dates a week) so the WL might not be much more. also, anecdotally, I have been informed by MDs that ik who have worked on admissions boards that typically they have enough WL spots to replace the entire class if they had to.

obviously these calculations are based on delusion and having too much time on my hands thinking abt being WL, but I think we should expect a decent WL size. additionally, I think WL movement happens later at MCG than other schools possibly bc it is GA's only public medical school so it has less competition for IS tuition incentive than other states that have more public schools.

on the bright side, literally everyone ik who has attended or is currently attending MCG came off the WL & a close friend is an M1 @ Athens who said abt half her class is from the WL (also anecdotal but I need positivity), so there's definitely hope
Lol thanks for this? have you heard/seen about decent WL movement in past years?

Lol thanks for this? have you heard/seen about decent WL movement in past years?
I’ve heard that they are going to start moving people off the WL in April this year! Manifesting an acceptance next month

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
yes, personally w friends & coworkers, I've seen a lot of WL movement in past years. also, ik 3 physicians, fully out of training, who went to mcg & all were from the WL, so maybe it's just always been a school that pulls heavily from the WL.

it does also seem, again anecdotally from people ik, that the most WL movement happens in the first two weeks of May. but from past years' threads it seems people get pulled off in June & July, too, so there's always hope.

also, in regards to campus assignment for WL: one of my friends who got pulled off in May did get the option to switch campuses like two weeks after her acceptance, so I think that whenever a spot opens up at another campus, it might be offered to accepted people first & then based on what that person chooses is what determines which location is offered to a WL. bc I'm 99% sure she found out her campus assignment when she was pulled from the WL like it was within the same email.

I only got 2 iis and now have 2 WLs, so while I'm super happy I didn't get an R from either school, I'm also just going insane over here

I’ve heard that they are going to start moving people off the WL in April this year! Manifesting an acceptance next month
I also saw your post that you asked somebody on admissions that they said they historically get pretty far down the WL, is that all they said?? Also thanks for doing the due diligence and asking around hahah

I also saw your post that you asked somebody on admissions that they said they historically get pretty far down the WL, is that all they said?? Also thanks for doing the due diligence and asking around hahah
She just said they historically get pretty far down the waitlist and that I should be excited and confident about it. That was pretty much it

Anyone have the plan and commit to enroll info specifically for MCG?

Anyone have the plan and commit to enroll info specifically for MCG?

Plan to enroll is available, but I think commit to enroll isn’t an option until sometime in April.

any campus assignments this week? getting really frustrated

has anyone tried to call about not having a campus yet?

I called a few weeks ago because my partner was asked to submit a transfer request for her work ASAP but they couldn’t give me any updates. They just said they’re continuing to work on campus assignments every day.

Can anybody tell me how many people they have on the official GroupMe/Facebook group?

I'm going insane waiting on waitlist movement lol

Can anybody tell me how many people they have on the official GroupMe/Facebook group?
The GroupMe has 283 members, but many are MCG ambassadors/ students at other AU colleges

The GroupMe has 283 members, but many are MCG ambassadors/ students at other AU colleges
Hmm I wonder if they are reserving spots for waitlist or if there are students who just haven’t joined/have no idea there’s a groupme

I'm going insane waiting on waitlist movement lol
I really feel like, considering how many people are waiting on campus assignments still, that there won’t be any movement until May even tho they said otherwise. I think a fair amount of people are deciding whether or not to attend mcg vs another school based on campus assignment & if they don’t have the assignment… they can’t make the decision. & I don’t blame anyone for waiting on that bc Athens vs Savannah vs Augusta are wildly diff places COL wise & geographically, let alone differences in the school