2023-2024 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like the idea of the small group learning and case study based learning at the Athens campus, but I imagine myself wanting to go into a competitive specialty, which I think the 3+ curriculum at Augusta would be better for. Does anyone think going to Athens would make it harder to match into a competitive specialty with it not having a lot of room for research/away rotations or it not being at a more academic center? Or is aligning with the learning style more important?

I'm having a hard time deciding campus preference :/

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been able to find the MCG student handbook or equivalent? I'm just trying to find details about mandatory lecture, grading schemes, internal ranking etc. For other schools, these things were in their handbooks, but I guess MCG's may not be public.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to find the MCG student handbook or equivalent? I'm just trying to find details about mandatory lecture, grading schemes, internal ranking etc. For other schools, these things were in their handbooks, but I guess MCG's may not be public.

I was able to find a handbook online, but I asked about this in my interview.
- Grading: They said pre-clerkship years are true P/F and clerkship years are standard letter grades.
- Ranking: They told us there’s no internal ranking system.
- Attendance: They said the large lectures are typically not mandatory to attend except when there’s a guest lecturer, examination, special circumstance, etc that will be communicated ahead of time. Large lectures are recorded and made available later that week (usually 1 day later I believe is what they said, but up to 3 says depending on if there were any tech issues). For smaller Patient Based Learning groups, there’s an expectation that you attend; it’s such a small group and your absence would be noticed.

Reactions: 1 users

Check out the MCG Policy Library. I found it on the Academic Affairs/Curriculum Office webpage

Check out the MCG Policy Library. I found it on the Academic Affairs/Curriculum Office webpage
Oh perfect! Thanks so much, I just found it.

Just wondering, for RD applicants that got accepted this cycle, did they ask for a deposit to save your spot? If so, how much was it?

my rationale for campus placements got cut off mid sentence bc of an issue with auto save. i emailed them with a full rationale when it happened last week but haven't gotten a response. should i follow up? as someone on the waitlist i dont want them to think i was being careless

MCG doesn’t have a deposit to hold your seat! Perks of a public medical school
Oh dang, quite a perk! I didn't pay a deposit when I got accepted EDP, I didn't know RD also has no deposit to pay too. Last cycle when I had an A from PCOM-GA, they asked for a $800 deposit iirc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea how much people end up getting off the waitlist?

Anyone have any idea how much people end up getting off the waitlist?
No clue, but today during visit day, the official class GroupMe QR code got shared in our presentation and so I think most of the accepted students are in the GroupMe now, we are at a headcount of 259 in the group so far. So it seems like there’s still 40-50 seats left to be filled up by the waitlist.

Last edited:
To those who attended revisit day- did you get an updates on campus assignment?
They said for accepted students, we have until Monday to make any final changes to our campus assignment and then after Monday they will announce campus assignments.

No clue, but today during visit day, the official class GroupMe QR code got shared in our presentation and so I think most of the accepted students are in now, we are at a headcount of 259 in the group. So it seems like there’s still 40-50 seats left to be filled up by the waitlist.
Thank you! If only we knew how many were waitlisted lol

Yeah, we don’t know. MSAR doesn’t have any data on that. I’ve seen schools that have anywhere between 100-300 applicants on their waitlists before in my last cycle, so there tends to be a scarcity of seats for applicants on WL

No clue, but today during visit day, the official class GroupMe QR code got shared in our presentation and so I think most of the accepted students are in now, we are at a headcount of 259 in the group. So it seems like there’s still 40-50 seats left to be filled up by the waitlist.
Not to mention those that choose another school over MCG come April 30th

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, those holding onto other acceptances from other schools and don't end up choosing MCG would also boost the number of seats available. So that could raise the number of available seats up for grabs for the waitlist more.

Last edited:
Could someone please send me the link to the accepted students groupchat

When does MCG start for 2024 academic calendar incoming M1? Asking for a friend due to planning a trip!

Could you IM me the GroupMe QR?

I see it in the portal now too. No email. Does anyone know if you can request to change your campus assignment?😅

I got an email and assigment to athens… rlly sad cuz i wanted augusta. Anyone know if we can still be considered for main campus? I actually emailed the admission team and asked lol but anyone know if they honor the request? They cant be done with all the assignments cuz i know ppl who just got in last week.

• Care
I got an email and assigment to athens… rlly sad cuz i wanted augusta. Anyone know if we can still be considered for main campus? I actually emailed the admission team and asked lol but anyone know if they honor the request? They cant be done with all the assignments cuz i know ppl who just got in last week.
Wow, really? I'm surprised, I thought the smaller campuses would be the most in demand, especially with the Athens association with UGA

Dang, I haven't gotten any emails yet. On my portal, all I see is the campus preference tab :/

I’m so confused I don’t have the tab. The campus assignment determines a lot for me so I was hoping to have it today

I’m in the same boat.

Was Augusta your first choice? Were you accepted in January?

Wow, really? I'm surprised, I thought the smaller campuses would be the most in demand, especially with the Athens association with UGA
I think with Augusta being the main campus that’s most established compared to the other two campuses along with Augusta having more teaching hospitals and research faculty, that’s what’s attracting the majority of people to Augusta.

I think with Augusta being the main campus that’s most established compared to the other two campuses along with Augusta having more teaching hospitals and research faculty, that’s what’s attracting the majority of people to Augusta.

also with class size, most people want more people

Assigned to Augusta campus today, received an email.