2023-2024 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got placed on alternate list 8:12AM

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the waitlist email this morning. Wishing the best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
So I've heard ppl say most of the class was WL so there is a good chance to get that A. Is that true? There is no data tho and when do wee hear back? May-july?

Reactions: 1 user
So I've heard ppl say most of the class was WL so there is a good chance to get that A. Is that true? There is no data tho and when do wee hear back? May-july?
Last year the first people heard back was beginning of May

Reactions: 3 users
I was looking at previous threads I can't believe that people get accepted in like mid July off the WL lol. At one of the schools I got an A at we would have already started orientation, what would you even do in that case if you still wanted to go MCG?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at previous threads I can't believe that people get accepted in like mid July off the WL lol. At one of the schools I got an A at we would have already started orientation, what would you even do in that case if you still wanted to go MCG?
if you already have an A you have to remove yourself from waitlists by that schools commit to enroll deadline

Yeah, with MCG, it isn't uncommon to have students not get off the alternate list as late as 2 weeks before orientation begins. It's been the case with the past several cycles.

Last edited:
Has anyone that was waitlisted yesterday received the campus preference form that it said we would receive?

I came across this link today for PD rankings:

Why is Augusta generally ranked so poorly, tending to be towards the bottom even amongst other state schools? They have very good average MCAT and GPAs, STEP scores and clinical rotations from what I have heard?
Rankings tend to be tied very heavily to research funding. If you look at "similar" state schools like MUSC, UAB or UF, they have higher research budgets which helps boost their rankings, although they afford the same education as MCG does to an extent.

I wouldn't take PD rankings at face value as they aren't reliable (i.e., a low survey completion rate, regional bias, emphasis on academic medicine, etc.).

I came across this link today for PD rankings:

Why is Augusta generally ranked so poorly, tending to be towards the bottom even amongst other state schools? They have very good average MCAT and GPAs, STEP scores and clinical rotations from what I have heard?
Also, the US News and World Report rankings this Reddit post is based on is also losing support among med schools. Several top institutions (Harvard, Hopkins, UPenn, WashU, Stanford, etc.) have chosen to remove their admissions data from USNWR in the past year so their ranking list is gonna have less of a bearing on the quality of the medical education you’ll get at a particular medical program.

Last edited:
any WL people recieve the campus pref form yet?

I'm curious if WL applicants get a campus preference form this cycle, I had last cycle after I interviewed before being put on the WL

I'm curious if WL applicants get a campus preference form this cycle, I had last cycle after I interviewed before being put on the WL
It says in the WL email we will be receiving an electronic campus preference form so we should be

Does anyone know how WL movement takes place with regard to campus preferences? So if a student is ‘next in the WL line’ and opts for the Athens/UGA partnership campus, and a space opens up in the Augusta campus, is the placement option given to this student or to one who opted for the Augusta campus as their first choice?

Does anyone know how WL movement takes place with regard to campus preferences? So if a student is ‘next in the WL line’ and opts for the Athens/UGA partnership campus, and a space opens up in the Augusta campus, is the placement option given to this student or to one who opted for the Augusta campus as their first choice?
I asked this at the savannah tour and got a response i did not understand completely. i was told that the savannah campus committee that chooses what students will be placed in savannah has asked to be blind of waitlist position. they are choosing students based on how highly they valued commitment to community in their essays and not by stats. so, I'm not sure what she meant by that 100%, but do with that what you will.

I called MCG admissions today asking about it and they said that your campus preference typically does not affect your acceptance (off the waitlist). They just use that information to place the student at a preferred campus after admission. But as a WL person your preferences might not be met

I called MCG admissions today asking about it and they said that your campus preference typically does not affect your acceptance (off the waitlist). They just use that information to place the student at a preferred campus after admission. But as a WL person your preferences might not be met
did they say when they would be sending the forms?

If we sign the acceptance form is that binding us to attend mcg? Wondering because I’m WL at my top choice

If we sign the acceptance form is that binding us to attend mcg? Wondering because I’m WL at my top choice
I'm pretty sure nothing is binding until you select commit to enroll on AMCAS CYMS

If you received acceptance from MCG as a Regular Decision applicant, I don't think it's binding. Acceptances are only binding for EDP applicants as far as I know.

I don't think campus preference weighs in as a factor that'll get you off of the waitlist, but imo what plays a bigger factor into moving out of the waitlist is writing a Letter of Intent to MCG, if you know 100% that MCG is your top choice and you're totally comfortable with going there for med school. I knew of some applicants last cycle who wrote LOIs as soon as after their interview was finished or after they found out about being placed on the alternate list that were among the applicants that got accepted out of the WL/Alternate list

Reactions: 4 users
Jw for the campus preference rationale it says no more than 6 lines, I originally submitted on laptop and it was only 5 lines but now that I'm looking at it from my phone it's showing more than 6. Hoping that's okay lol

I don't think campus preference weighs in as a factor that'll get you off of the waitlist, but imo what plays a bigger factor into moving out of the waitlist is writing a Letter of Intent to MCG, if you know 100% that MCG is your top choice and you're totally comfortable with going there for med school. I knew of some applicants last cycle who wrote LOIs as soon as after their interview was finished or after they found out about being placed on the alternate list that were among the applicants that got accepted out of the WL/Alternate list
When do you suggest sending LOI?

Jw for the campus preference rationale it says no more than 6 lines, I originally submitted on laptop and it was only 5 lines but now that I'm looking at it from my phone it's showing more than 6. Hoping that's okay lol
I doubt they're looking at our applications on their phones, you're fine lolol

I haven't seen any guidelines on LOIs in an email or on the MCG website. Does anyone have any more information?

When do you suggest sending LOI?
Sooner than later, I knew applicants who sent their LOI as soon as the day after their interview day who were among some of the first to get accepted off of the waitlist. Now's the time that the MCG adcom is likely ranking applicants for the waitlist so I recommend sending a well-thought out LOI to them while they're still constructing their waitlist ranking. If you send it too late in the cycle like in late April or early May, MCG will have likely already finalized their waitlist rank for each applicant.

Can we upload the LoI as a document on the portal or is there a specific email address to send them to?

Does anyone know who to address the LOI to? assistant dean of admissions or director of admissions operations?