2023-2024 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to keep posting on this board, but I have not received a secondary or an R from here and they have had my verified primary since Aug. 7th. Should I reach out to them and express interest in this school since it is one of my top choices? If so, what should I say?

I would not personally, especially if you haven’t interviewed. To me reaching out for stuff could be seen as a lack of patience. They have your info if they want to contact you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to keep posting on this board, but I have not received a secondary or an R from here and they have had my verified primary since Aug. 7th. Should I reach out to them and express interest in this school since it is one of my top choices? If so, what should I say?
I had silence for the longest time. I did not have a DO letter (I had a MD letter instead) nor did I have shadowing, which are both requirements to be considered. However, I emailed admissions for a waiver form for those two items. After they looked at my form, they sent me a secondary and I was able to interview. So I would give it try!

Reactions: 2 users
^ yea I would say that’s different and acceptable. If you’re worried about not having something, just reach out and ask if you have everything they need.

I wouldn’t reach out though and say sow thing along the lines of why haven’t I got an interview/ can I expect one, if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not personally, especially if you haven’t interviewed. To me reaching out for stuff could be seen as a lack of patience. They have your info if they want to contact you.
To be fair, it could be a way just to see whether your file is still active or not.

I haven’t received a secondary as well, so I contacted the school. The director did say my app is still under consideration, though it is crickets after that.

For other schools, I was given the boot already, though they never sent me anything official. They informed me after I inquired.

• Care
Definitely contact them and express that it’s one of your choice. Just don’t call them multiple times a week lol. I was verified on 7/12 and got secondary on 8/14. They are very nice so reach out to them if you have any Q. Good luck!

To be fair, it could be a way just to see whether your file is still active or not.

I haven’t received a secondary as well, so I contacted the school. The director did say my app is still under consideration, though it is crickets after that.

For other schools, I was given the boot already, though they never sent me anything official. They informed me after I inquired.

I would say it’s a fair assumption you’re still under consideration/active if you haven’t got an R or II. Again, schools will reach out if you’re no longer under consideration.

I would say it’s a fair assumption you’re still under consideration/active if you haven’t got an R or II. Again, schools will reach out if you’re no longer under consideration.
Fair point.

…and ARCOM does have a pre secondary R letter. I got it one year.

Fair point.

…and ARCOM does have a pre secondary R letter. I got it one year.

The honest truth is that we’re all just speculating and everyone has to make calls for themselves on what feels right/necessary. For me, I know i would get annoyed as an adcom receiving questions about people wondering where they stood in terms of getting an interview.

On the other hand, some adcoms may appreciate the effort. There’s no true way to know if it’s a good idea or not.

Best of luck to everyone in here though, whatever everyone decides to do moving forward! I’m not trying to come off as a dick at all, just share what I’ve been doing my interviews and explain the reasoning.

• Care
Just got a secondary! They received my primary 7/24

Reactions: 1 users
Just got this email

“Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.”

Huh…? I mean I’m fine with it since I have an A elsewhere but are they just giving me a waitlist for a secondary? I never received a secondary lol

Secondaries received right now, completed 8/15

Just got this email

“Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.”

Huh…? I mean I’m fine with it since I have an A elsewhere but are they just giving me a waitlist for a secondary? I never received a secondary lol

i got the same thing just 15 minutes ago, i guess it's a "deferred" status and not a rejected status? not sure... what are your stats? mine is a 3.2 gpa and 511 mcat (i guess they emphasize gpa a lot)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite received. LM in the low 60’s (low GPA avg mcat)

Just got this email

What i’ve read is if you don’t have a DO letter and/or apparently shadowing requirements they send you this email.

Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.”

got this too, is this a soft "R"? I know it is my mcat

What i’ve read is if you don’t have a DO letter and/or apparently shadowing requirements they send you this email.
Suppose I were to update my application with the more hours for shadowing (I have a DO letter), is it likely they’ll reconsider? Or this a soft rejection? I know it says it’s not a denial but I can’t tell if it’s a WL and eventual R

I saw some post of reddit last cycle where he was rejected first and then a few months later was reconsidered and got a secondary. IDK how it went after that.

what r the shadowing requirements? i have 31 hours listed on my app(8 DO) and got an II

Thank you for your application to the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM). At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial. We will continue to review your application materials, as well as any updates submitted to AACOMAS, throughout the admission process and let you know if your status changes.”

got this too, is this a soft "R"? I know it is my mcat
When did your primary get verified?

Just got this email

When did your primary get verified?

I got verified in early august and still have heard nothing. LM?

I got verified earlier than that (late June was my last official email) and still haven't heard anything as well. I wasn't part of this rejection or II deluge.

I contacted admins last week and they said I was still being reviewed, so I guess they haven't come up with a solid decision on my app?

I think they look at more than just stats when screening for secondary. My stats aren’t the greatest and I was sent a II after applying in early August

I got verified earlier than that (late June was my last official email) and still haven't heard anything as well. I wasn't part of this rejection or II deluge.

I contacted admins last week and they said I was still being reviewed, so I guess they haven't come up with a solid decision on my app?
I have been waiting for a long time too. I just received the email saying, "At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial." which i didn't expect :(

I have been waiting for a long time too. I just received the email saying, "At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial." which i didn't expect :(

At least it mentions this isn't a denial, so that is hopeful.

Don't know if the notes for the above folks mention the same thing as well.

At least it mentions this isn't a denial, so that is hopeful.

Don't know if the notes for the above folks mention the same thing as well.
I am a current student who also got the "At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial." email during my application cycle and later got a secondary and an acceptance. Just know that it doesn't mean no, they know that people like to hear something back and send that email. I got in, so I wouldn't stress about that email!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I am a current student who also got the "At this time, you have not been selected to proceed in the application process. Please know this is not a denial." email during my application cycle and later got a secondary and an acceptance. Just know that it doesn't mean no, they know that people like to hear something back and send that email. I got in, so I wouldn't stress about that email!
Man…I wonder where that puts me then?

I haven’t received anything official, even that note. I wonder if I’m a firm R?

Thank you for providing that stress reliever of a message!

Thank you for explaining! Honestly was so confused. It sounds like it's just something they send to students who they are still considering but just want to give them an update that they are still in the stack.

Thanks!

I am also wondering if there are virtual interview options for this school.

Would any current students be willing to message me? I have a few questions before I spend the money to complete the secondary.

Did you do any updates through out the cycle? Thank you for saying that. that message was super discouraging so I’m glad there is still hope
I’m just about submit an update through AACOMAS about shadowing experience and a new research opportunity I’m starting. Should I send them a letter/email separately as well?

What’s your LM score?

I did not get this email. I got verified and they received my application in early August. Does this mean I’ll get a secondary soon?

What's an MSMS gpa? And why is it a big thing on your record? Never heard of it so just thought to ask to learn more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. I feel much better hearing this.

Found this on their website, “Preference is given to students from rural and underserved environments that are more likely to advance the mission and goals of ARCOM, especially those from Arkansas and Southcentral United States.” Do they have a lot of OOS applicants they have to go through?

• Love
Found this on their website, “Preference is given to students from rural and underserved environments that are more likely to advance the mission and goals of ARCOM, especially those from Arkansas and Southcentral United States.” Do they have a lot of OOS applicants they have to go through?
Yes, a lot of students are from Texas (over half of my interview group). In my interview group of i think 10 people, only 1 was from arkansas

Yes, a lot of students are from Texas (over half of my interview group). In my interview group of i think 10 people, only 1 was from arkansas
Woa. My group of 15 had 2 people from TX and 1 from AR.

How long after submitting your secondaries did you get an interview ?