2023-2024 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else who is applying for the 2023-2024 cycle get a call asking if you'd like to interview for the 2022-2023 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else who is applying for the 2023-2024 cycle get a call asking if you'd like to interview for the 2022-2023 cycle?
Never heard of this being done before. You might have a good chance of starting here this August. Just know that ICOM still doesn’t qualify for federal loans this year so you will have to take out private loans. Federal loans will probably be available for the 2023-2024 cycle though. If you don’t mind that then you should definitely go for it.

Never heard of this being done before. You might have a good chance of starting here this August. Just know that ICOM still doesn’t qualify for federal loans this year so you will have to take out private loans. Federal loans will probably be available for the 2023-2024 cycle though. If you don’t mind that then you should definitely go for it.
Oh that's good to know, thank you! Interview is on Tuesday!

• Love
I just got this call too! I am unsure of what to do. I have a 3.8 gpa, 3.6 science, and 512 mcat. I am from Idaho and would love to stay but I was wanting to see if I had any other options. I have already applied to multiple schools and I need to call ICOM back tomorrow about whether or not to accept. What should I do?

I just got this call too! I am unsure of what to do. I have a 3.8 gpa, 3.6 science, and 512 mcat. I am from Idaho and would love to stay but I was wanting to see if I had any other options. I have already applied to multiple schools and I need to call ICOM back tomorrow about whether or not to accept. What should I do?
I think you have a solid chance of getting into an MD school. The WWAMI program would give you instate preferences and they have a branch at the university of idaho. If I were you I’d take the interview at ICOM and see if you get an offer for this cycle. Once you have the acceptance offer then weigh your options. Are you not interested in pursuing a competitive specialty? Are you okay with just matching into primary care? are you okay with taking out private student loans for a year with higher interest rates? if you’re okay with all of that and really want to stay in Idaho then I’d go for it. Starting med school a year earlier means one more year of attending salary. ICOM is a great school. Love being an ICOM student. You’ll most likely graduate and match if you go here. BUT, if I had your stats I would have probably gone to an MD school instead or a more established DO school. Being a DO student has its drawbacks.

I think you have a solid chance of getting into an MD school. The WWAMI program would give you instate preferences and they have a branch at the university of idaho. If I were you I’d take the interview at ICOM and see if you get an offer for this cycle. Once you have the acceptance offer then weigh your options. Are you not interested in pursuing a competitive specialty? Are you okay with just matching into primary care? are you okay with taking out private student loans for a year with higher interest rates? if you’re okay with all of that and really want to stay in Idaho then I’d go for it. Starting med school a year earlier means one more year of attending salary. ICOM is a great school. Love being an ICOM student. You’ll most likely graduate and match if you go here. BUT, if I had your stats I would have probably gone to an MD school instead or a more established DO school. Being a DO student has its drawbacks.
I totally agree. I spoke with my friend in medical school and he said the exact same thing. Thank you so much for your quick response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! just curious how the interview went?
It went great! They called me the next day and offered me a seat! I told them I couldn't accept for this summer, so they have me as an early acceptance for next year!! I'm thrilled!

Reactions: 1 users
It went great! They called me the next day and offered me a seat! I told them I couldn't accept for this summer, so they have me as an early acceptance for next year!! I'm thrilled!
Wow congrats!

Secondary received OOS with ties to PNW

Last edited:
I got an email last week stating: "We have completed the final review of your secondary application. The next step in our Admissions Process is an interview. Our interview cycle runs from September 2023 through April 2024. You could be selected for an interview at any point during the cycle."

...and nothing since then, is this a pre-II hold?

Last edited:
I got an email last week stating: "We have completed the final review of your secondary application. The next step in our Admissions Process is an interview. Our interview cycle runs from September 2023 through April 2024. You could be selected for an interview at any point during the cycle."

Seems like they send that to everyone, might be wrong but doesn’t seem like interviews were offered until the first or second week of August last year

When did you submit your secondary?

No i submitted the secondary on 7/18 and received that response last week. from secondary to that response was probably 3-4 business days.

No i submitted the secondary on 7/18 and received that response last week. from secondary to that response was probably 3-4 business days.
Ok so it wasn’t a couple of weeks ago, it was last week then. I’ll let you know if I receive that same email!

I received the same email! I think they send it to everyone just to let everyone know that their application is complete.

II today! CA resident but went to one of the colleges that has an articulation agreement with ICOM

Anyone know if you can substitute the PhD letter for another? None of my writers have a PhD and emailed the school couple days ago haven’t heard back

So the secondary states "One letter of reference from a science faculty member who holds a PhD or is a pre-medical/pre-health advisor is required." Do you think a letter from a math professor specifically Calculus with a PhD would suffice? My other science faculties dont have one :(

So the secondary states "One letter of reference from a science faculty member who holds a PhD or is a pre-medical/pre-health advisor is required." Do you think a letter from a math professor specifically Calculus with a PhD would suffice? My other science faculties dont have one :(
I called too see what could count as a substitute from my lors, they were really friendly!

I would call admissions. They’re super friendly and happy to help

Hey everybody. 3rd year ICOM student here. If anyone has any questions about the school or my experience at ICOM so far I’d be happy to answer. Good luck on your interviews future docs!

Hello all, I sent my headshot to admissions like it says to do on the personalized secondary portal, but they never responded. I feel kinda goofy now lol, did anyone else experience this?

Hello all, I sent my headshot to admissions like it says to do on the personalized secondary portal, but they never responded. I feel kinda goofy now lol, did anyone else experience this?
Haha I wouldn't worry too much about it, I recently did that too. I think it's just a weird feeling to email a photo of yourself... I wish they had like an upload area on the actual website.

They did reply just a "thanks!" to me though right after I submitted, maybe check your spam?

Last edited:
Haha I wouldn't worry too much about it, I recently did that too. I think it's just a weird feeling to email a photo of yourself... I wish they had like an upload area on the actual website.

They did reply just a "thanks!" to me though right after I submitted, maybe check your spam?
Nothing in my spam, but I did send it friday at 1:30 mountain time, so maybe its just after hours or something

My interview is tomorrow and I am both nervous and calm at the same time. I feel at this point what's going to happen is going to happen but I also want to be as prepared as possible and have been practicing answering some questions. Any last minute tips from those who have interviewed or any random questions I should be prepared for?

My interview is tomorrow and I am both nervous and calm at the same time. I feel at this point what's going to happen is going to happen but I also want to be as prepared as possible and have been practicing answering some questions. Any last minute tips from those who have interviewed or any random questions I should be prepared for?
Have some questions prepared for them! They will inevitably ask you, "Do you have any questions for me?", and it shows interest if you have a few questions ready to go.

Good luck!!

Have some questions prepared for them! They will inevitably ask you, "Do you have any questions for me?", and it shows interest if you have a few questions ready to go.

Good luck!!
My interview went really well! There were some questions I was unprepared for but feel I answered them in an OK manner! Now just to wait until September 22nd!!