2023-2024 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview went really well! There were some questions I was unprepared for but feel I answered them in an OK manner! Now just to wait until September 22nd!!
Sending positive vibes your way! When did you submit your secondary and subsequently receive an ii? I submitted 08/09 and I'm just waiting...waiting...waiting...

Members don't see this ad.

Sending positive vibes your way! When did you submit your secondary and subsequently receive an ii? I submitted 08/09 and I'm just waiting...waiting...waiting...
HI! I submitted my secondary on 07/12 and was invited for an interview on 08/09! Hopefully you will hear soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, interview done!

The overall vibe from the faculty and interviewers was great. The interviewers are extremely conversational, and know your application very well.
Definitely go over some common questions but mainly just go in there and be yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Current OMS-I - feel free to reach out if you have any questions about interviewing, courses, and what not

Any update on the Federal Loan Approval?
Just an applicant but I asked them about this. They said they will be sending monthly updates to those that are accepted and current students. Not much movement with this unfortunately. They are just waiting on approval, submitted for it about a year ago. They are hesitant to give an actual date of approval

Got the A this afternoon!! Interviewed 9/13

after submitting your secondary how long did it take to hear back for an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the call, accepted!!! So grateful 🥳

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Got my acceptance around 10:30 am! Interviewed 9/27

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
for those accepted, are you all planning on attending or are there other schools you’re interested in? if there are other ones, do people mind sharing what they like about those schools more?

this is my first A but i’m waiting on several other MD and DO institutions

• Love
for those accepted, are you all planning on attending or are there other schools you’re interested in? if there are other ones, do people mind sharing what they like about those schools more?

this is my first A but i’m waiting on several other MD and DO institutions
Icom is not approved yet for federal loans as its a newer school, though that “could” change by next year before this year’s applicants matriculate. The match list is good though. They had 2 orthopedic surgery and one derm match, last year. Everyone seemed very friendly. They also seem to have research opportunities which is not always the case for osteopathic schools, I think.

The location might be an issue for some applicants especially as rotations are in that region typically.
School has a “for profit “ status that is “frowned upon” but not sure what the long term implications of that would be.

Just got the A via phone call! ~2pm est.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawing my A today. Best of luck everyone!

Interviewed 10/17, Accepted 10/27.

Hey everyone, I'm a current 4th year at ICOM who would be happy to answer any questions about the school/Idaho/or pretty much anything else.

Hey everyone, I'm a current 4th year at ICOM who would be happy to answer any questions about the school/Idaho/or pretty much anything else.
Hi! I have an interview soon and would like to ask a few questions so I have a good idea of the school from a student's perspective.
1. What would you say is your favorite part of the school?
2. Is the administration easy to approach with concerns?
3. What kind of community outreach opportunities are there? I'm familiar with the health fair but am wondering if there's things you like that may not necessarily be advertised.
4. Are rotations hard to find?
5. What do you do for fun in the area
6. How do you recommend prepping for the interview?

Thank you :)

1. Honestly it's hard to even say I have a favorite thing anymore. It used to be the faculty but so many of my favorite professors have left and I don't know a lot of the newer people they brought in.
2. Depends on who from admin you're trying to approach. Some of them are easy to talk to, some of them are not.
3. Different groups will have various volunteer opportunities throughout the year. The health fair is the only really established thing.
4. Rotations are easily the worst part. Third year was ROUGH! Between being sent out of state with only a few weeks notice and no housing (they provide 1,000$ as a stipend) and then having a long commute (more than an hour one way) for multiple rotations, it was easily the worst. Fourth year is pretty much up to you so I've tried to schedule as much as I can so that they don't schedule things for me. Unfortunately, I'll have to do some commuting again and they haven't been very helpful.
5. I don't live in the Boise area because I'm at a different hub site, but I like camping and kayaking with my family.
6. Just know your resume and be able to explain things on it. Remember that an interview shows that the school knows that you're a good applicant on paper, now they want to know you're a decent person. Make sure to know what you want in a school because they're interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them. Using an example from this thread, if federal loans are important to you, make sure to ask about them. They don't provide updates every month, as they have told applicants. We've been told about once a year for the last three years that it's just waiting for approval.

1. Honestly it's hard to even say I have a favorite thing anymore. It used to be the faculty but so many of my favorite professors have left and I don't know a lot of the newer people they brought in.
2. Depends on who from admin you're trying to approach. Some of them are easy to talk to, some of them are not.
3. Different groups will have various volunteer opportunities throughout the year. The health fair is the only really established thing.
4. Rotations are easily the worst part. Third year was ROUGH! Between being sent out of state with only a few weeks notice and no housing (they provide 1,000$ as a stipend) and then having a long commute (more than an hour one way) for multiple rotations, it was easily the worst. Fourth year is pretty much up to you so I've tried to schedule as much as I can so that they don't schedule things for me. Unfortunately, I'll have to do some commuting again and they haven't been very helpful.
5. I don't live in the Boise area because I'm at a different hub site, but I like camping and kayaking with my family.
6. Just know your resume and be able to explain things on it. Remember that an interview shows that the school knows that you're a good applicant on paper, now they want to know you're a decent person. Make sure to know what you want in a school because they're interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them. Using an example from this thread, if federal loans are important to you, make sure to ask about them. They don't provide updates every month, as they have told applicants. We've been told about once a year for the last three years that it's just waiting for approval.
Thank you so much for the responses! Why did faculty leave? Also, what do research opportunities look like? specifically focused on public health? And what would you say NOT to do during the interview, lol?
I'll be sure to add the loans question to my list. That is fairly important to me.

Thank you so much for the responses! Why did faculty leave? Also, what do research opportunities look like? specifically focused on public health? And what would you say NOT to do during the interview, lol?
I'll be sure to add the loans question to my list. That is fairly important to me.
There's various reasons why faculty members left. Most of them were offered jobs other places and some had family/other obligations. There's not a ton of research opportunities, especially in public health. You may be able to find things in the Boise area, but ICOM just doesn't have a ton of research established yet. If you're looking to do like literature review just to get things published, I'm sure there will be something to do. I'm not someone who can do that so I looked for opportunities outside of ICOM. I was very fortunate to find a mentor in a different state who has been phenomenal and helped me get research.
For what not to do, don't lie about yourself or things you've done or things on your resume. Don't act disinterested in any aspect of the interview day. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

There's various reasons why faculty members left. Most of them were offered jobs other places and some had family/other obligations. There's not a ton of research opportunities, especially in public health. You may be able to find things in the Boise area, but ICOM just doesn't have a ton of research established yet. If you're looking to do like literature review just to get things published, I'm sure there will be something to do. I'm not someone who can do that so I looked for opportunities outside of ICOM. I was very fortunate to find a mentor in a different state who has been phenomenal and helped me get research.
For what not to do, don't lie about yourself or things you've done or things on your resume. Don't act disinterested in any aspect of the interview day. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Gosh, that's unfortunate about the research. I'm not really interested in literature review so I'll try to ask about opportunities during my interview. I'm glad to hear that you were able to end up figuring it out. Is research mandatory in medical school?

For any of you that were waitlisted, did the email specify where in the waitlist you were?? I emailed them asking about it but got no reply :(

OOS II received this morning, signed up for Zoom in early Dec. Looking forward to it, I've heard great things about living in PNW :giggle:

This is an appeal to applicants who have taken Casper for admission to ICOM.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

Gosh, that's unfortunate about the research. I'm not really interested in literature review so I'll try to ask about opportunities during my interview. I'm glad to hear that you were able to end up figuring it out. Is research mandatory in medical school?
No, research is not mandatory

Has there been any update on the approval for Federal Financial Aid?

Has there been any update on the approval for Federal Financial Aid?
As a current 3rd year student, I’d like to know this as well lol. Has this question been brought up in anyone’s recent interviews?

As a current 3rd year student, I’d like to know this as well lol. Has this question been brought up in anyone’s recent interviews?
As a current 4th year, I second this. Last email I have about it is from May. (Granted, I delete a lot of emails since it won't apply to me anyway)

Anyone know if there is an accepted students group chat anywhere?

Withdrawing my A. Good luck everyone! :)

how long did everyone wait after submitting the secondary for an ii invite? 4-6 weeks?

As a current 4th year, I second this. Last email I have about it is from May. (Granted, I delete a lot of emails since it won't apply to me anyway)

During my interview they said “soon” but then they also followed it up with “but we aren’t sure” so I wouldn’t count on it 🥹

Withdrew my A - good luck to everyone!

For stats purposes / those keeping track
OOS, (northern Utah res USU grad) interviewed 9/13, A 9/22
MCAT 518 GPA 3.96

Last edited:
Withdrew my A - good luck to everyone!

For stats purposes / those keeping track
OOS, (northern Utah res USU grad) interviewed 9/13, A 9/22
MCAT 518 GPA 3.96
Same here. I hope one of you targeting this school gets in. I liked the people and the interview vibe.

Reactions: 2 users