2023-2024 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my A - good luck to everyone!

For stats purposes / those keeping track
OOS, (northern Utah res USU grad) interviewed 9/13, A 9/22
MCAT 518 GPA 3.96
How many DO schools did you apply to? I have similar stats and applied to 5 DO and 37 MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students that I can DM? Question regarding private loans since it looks like fed loans still might not come by July

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students that I can DM? Question regarding private loans since it looks like fed loans still might not come by July
Sure love that government efficiency since the application for that was submitted pretty much as soon as it could be (i.e. Summer 2022). I can't help much here either unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted just now, OOS.

got an OOS II, received today, 12/19 and scheduled for 1/17! Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

If anyone’s who’s gotten accepted would be able to answer some questions about the interview process, lmk if I could message you! 🫶🏻

Last edited:
are there any current ICOM students that can answer a couple of questions? Received an A a couple of days ago, am pretty excited, but would like to know why the general surgery match is only 2 students the last couple of years before placing my deposit.

got an OOS II, received today, 12/19 and scheduled for 1/17! Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

If anyone’s who’s gotten accepted would be able to answer some questions about the interview process, lmk if I could message you! 🫶🏻
Feel free to hit me up, I recently got accepted, 504 mcat, 3.5 gpa OOS

are there any current ICOM students that can answer a couple of questions? Received an A a couple of days ago, am pretty excited, but would like to know why the general surgery match is only 2 students the last couple of years before placing my deposit.
Hey I’m happy to help. We’ve only had 2 classes participate in the match so far but I agree we haven’t had a lot of students match into gen surgery. Not entirely sure why. We recently had two more people match gen surgery in the military match this year but still no idea how class of 24 did until March. Think being a new school plays a part. Also none of our core sites have gen surgery residencies ( none in Idaho). We have had a few students match orthopedic surgery as well. But If you have an A at a more established school and aren’t okay settling for a primary care specialty then I’d honestly go there instead. I’m saying this as someone who has liked their experience at this school so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I’m happy to help. We’ve only had 2 classes participate in the match so far but I agree we haven’t had a lot of students match into gen surgery. Not entirely sure why. We recently had two more people match gen surgery in the military match this year but still no idea how class of 24 did until March. Think being a new school plays a part. Also none of our core sites have gen surgery residencies ( none in Idaho). We have had a few students match orthopedic surgery as well. But If you have an A at a more established school and aren’t okay settling for a primary care specialty then I’d honestly go there instead. I’m saying this as someone who has liked their experience at this school so far.
appreciate the candid feedback, lots to weigh but the admission team is so personable/nice here and boise/meridian is such a safe and nice area compared to my other As..

• Love
appreciate the candid feedback, lots to weigh but the admission team is so personable/nice here and boise/meridian is such a safe and nice area compared to my other As..
I agree. Boise is a great town. Location is a big driving factor for ICOM. Hopefully by the time your class is ready for match PDs will be a bit more familiar with ICOM students and our gen surgery match rates will rise.

Received the A yesterday! LM 64. Interviewed on 1/17. DM me if you have any questions about the interview process!

Has anyone who accepted ICOM signed their offer of admissions on the portal? Mine still shows: "Offer of Admission (form coming soon)"

Anyone know what's the lowest mcat they'll take and have interviewed/ accepted? do they take sub-500's ? waiting on my January score :scared:

Anyone know what's the lowest mcat they'll take and have interviewed/ accepted? do they take sub-500's ? waiting on my January score :scared:
The website says they recommend "a minimum score within the 50th percentile, and with no subsections lower than the 35th percentile", but I'm a third year and know of at least a couple people in my class who were below this, so I don't think it's a hard cut off, especially if you have ties to the area. One of my friends was below 500, but had a really compelling and background about "why medicine". The last 2 classes have had average MCAT scores of like 506 or 507 I believe? Good luck on your retake score!

Does anyone know if they are being as transparent as they were last year by explicitly telling students they are interviewing for waitlist positions? I received an II yesterday

Does anyone know how full the class is, and if they’re just interviewing for waitlist positions at this time?

Does anyone know how full the class is, and if they’re just interviewing for waitlist positions at this time?
I don't have a great application, but they told me to plan on hearing back from them on Friday. If I get an A from them I'll let you know, or if they send any other information in a waitlist or rejection email.

Anyone hear any updates on Federal Aid for 2024? They said they would update but I have heard nothing...

Anyone hear any updates on Federal Aid for 2024? They said they would update but I have heard nothing...
Federal Aid is not happening this year or next. Speaking as a current student. Be prepared for private loans. Federal aid might be available for the class of 2029 but that’s not guaranteed either.

Federal Aid is not happening this year or next. Speaking as a current student. Be prepared for private loans. Federal aid might be available for the class of 2029 but that’s not guaranteed either.
Why is that they said the application was submitted and should be approved in 2024 did something happen to delay the approval?

Federal aid is typically available after the first inaugural class graduates

Why is that they said the application was submitted and should be approved in 2024 did something happen to delay the approval?
I spoke to someone in admin at admitted students day. They said the FAFSA app has been revamped and that has caused a delay in getting approvals for Fed loans. I also heard this from another school.

Federal aid is typically available after the first inaugural class graduates
Our inaugural class graduated in 2022. The federal government has just been dragging its feet. It’s been 18 months since they submitted their application. Still no word from them where along the process ICOM is

Last edited:
No, they were telling us it would be available in 2023 as well. I don’t think they actually know when it will be available honestly. It could be available by this summer or it could be two summers from now. Basically just plan for the worst and hope for the best. The Department of education is a dumpster fire right now so there really is no telling when they’ll get to ICOMs application