2023-2024 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have their been recent As (from mid-April onwards)? Feels like lately it's all WLs

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m confused why they’re still sending out II when there’s already a good size waitlist and not a lot of movement

I’m confused why they’re still sending out II when there’s already a good size waitlist and not a lot of movement
My guess is that because they need such a big class for FL campus (around 100 people) they need as many back ups as possible. I can’t imagine that going to FL with no financial / federal aid will be everyones first pick, from a financial standpoint at least (unless it is their only acceptance or they are paying out of pocket). Private loans are killer in the long run. They can’t be forgiven like with PSLF and super high interest rate + high monthly payments regardless of income. I unfortunately went through it so I know. Just my two cents!

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome, congrats!

What date do you have selected and were there different interview date options?

Thank you! Mine is scheduled tmrw! I saw openings all through the end of this month. You can choose your interview timing to take place in the morning or afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users
My guess is that because they need such a big class for FL campus (around 100 people) they need as many back ups as possible. I can’t imagine that going to FL with no financial / federal aid will be everyones first pick, from a financial standpoint at least (unless it is their only acceptance or they are paying out of pocket). Private loans are killer in the long run. They can’t be forgiven like with PSLF and super high interest rate + high monthly payments regardless of income. I unfortunately went through it so I know. Just my two cents!
Do we think there’s still spots at NM? I put no campus preference and obvi I’ll take what I can get and ultimately just hope to be pulled off the WL, but I think NM would be great

Thank you! Mine is scheduled tmrw! I saw openings all through the end of this month. You can choose your interview timing to take place in the morning or afternoon.
Awesome, thank you for letting me know. Goodluck tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
just got an A from NM off of the waitlist!!! so many tears of joy. i’m going to be a doctor!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the waitlist for NM last night!! Interviewed 4/15, WL 5/1. I just put my deposit down at another school so will be declining, hope it goes to one of you amazing future doctors!!!

Congrats all! Really hoping that they pull more people off today

Reactions: 4 users
Is BCOM able to fill up the class in Florida campus yet? There is another new school OCOM near Orlando who had to extend application deadline from March 1st to April 12th and having a MCAT cutoff of 500. Why would a school extend application deadline this late in the cycle? Not sure if they may be able to fill up all 97 seats with that rigid requirement and No access to Federal loans. With a MCAT score of 500. folks can get an A in other DO schools with access to Federal loans I believe. I agree with futuredoctor918's statement "I can’t imagine that going to FL with no financial / federal aid will be everyone's first pick, from a financial standpoint".

Reactions: 3 users
Is BCOM able to fill up the class in Florida campus yet? There is another new school OCOM near Orlando who had to extend application deadline from March 1st to April 12th and having a MCAT cutoff of 500. Why would a school extend application deadline this late in the cycle? Not sure if they may be able to fill up all 97 seats with that rigid requirement and No access to Federal loans. With a MCAT score of 500. folks can get an A in other DO schools with access to Federal loans I believe. I agree with futuredoctor918's statement "I can’t imagine that going to FL with no financial / federal aid will be everyone's first pick, from a financial standpoint".
Agreed. with the financial issues and the fact that they are a new school, there is no reason for them to have an MCAT cutoff.

OCOM is ridiculous for having that 500 MCAT cut off… I guess they learned their lesson that it made absolutely no sense to do that as a new school! SMH

I think the FL campus is getting close. It’s also a different scenario for BCOM vs OCOM…at least Burrell is an established school, with the strongest accreditation, and while it’s private loans (those interest rates are…something), there’s at least a chance by year 3, we’ll be on the Federal loan program.

OCOM has none of that going for it. And they’re being weird about their requirements and cutoffs.

Anyone by chance know based on Groupme or FB accepted group(s) how many people are in the NM and FL campuses? (I know it actively changes, but I also can't find it unless they don't exist)

Anyone by chance know based on Groupme or FB accepted group(s) how many people are in the NM and FL campuses? (I know it actively changes, but I also can't find it unless they don't exist)
there are 149 people in the FL BCOM discord. That includes a few staff and current med students (probably about 7-8), so closer to 141 students in the discord

I don’t think they would keep interviewing if they weren’t expecting movement. I get they need backups but the waitlist seems pretty decent sized already. It’s also odd that they have a class size of 100 but have ~140 students accepted. 🤔 Maybe they’re taking in more?

I don’t think they would keep interviewing if they weren’t expecting movement. I get they need backups but the waitlist seems pretty decent sized already. It’s also odd that they have a class size of 100 but have ~140 students accepted. 🤔 Maybe they’re taking in more?
I’m scared that they’re going to over accept and there won’t be as much movement

I agree! It doesn't make sense that they have 140 students accepted if they anticipate to only matriculate 100 for the Melbourne, FL campus. Their NM campus size was around 170~ last year.

I agree! It doesn't make sense that they have 140 students accepted if they anticipate to only matriculate 100 for the Melbourne, FL campus. Their NM campus size was around 170~ last year.
Thanks for mentioning that! It’s sounding like 100 might be their minimum number of students to be able to inaugurate the new campus. At least I hope 😂

Wait, how do you know that the FL class is a 100? Did they state that during your interview?

It's online but yeah they did, although they also mentioned that for the NM campus it'll be a little over 200, which is more than past years. I guess they are expanding a bit in general with increased class size and obviously the new FL campus

They are interviewing into June though so yeah idk, maybe they plan to increase class size a bit than what was originally said? Or are they expecting a ton to drop in the next few weeks? We'll see I guess.

The Discord number jumps around a bit. We also have some admins, some students from NM to answer questions, and probably others as well.

100 was the number they gave us during the interview. There may be some flexibility, but this is a newly renovated facility in a building BCOM doesn’t own. Space may be at a premium

Is it worth sending in my secondary this late in the game? I saw that they extended the 2ndary date till May 31st. I also called, and they plan on interviewing until May 31st. MCAT ~496