2023-2024 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed on 08/28 heard back yet? Heard that we would find out a decision between yesterday and today.

Has anyone that interviewed on 08/28 heard back yet? Heard that we would find out a decision between yesterday and today.
I didn't hear anything either and was stressing all day lol. From previous postings, it looks like they typically send out decisions Thursday/Friday, so hopefully we hear back soon

Reactions: 1 user
OOS II! My microsite has not changed and not able to schedule interview yet. Has any else experienced this? Does it take a day or so for the microsite to change?

I think they said it can take roughly 90 minutes after receiving the email for your microsite to update. I would say to contact them if it still hasn't updated by tomorrow! Congrats on the IIs!

Looks like all interview registration is full for upcoming months. Do we think they will open up more dates or is it worth reaching out to them to ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like all interview registration is full for upcoming months. Do we think they will open up more dates or is it worth reaching out to them to ask?
im somehow scheduled for two so be looking out for october 27th in person in ab 30 mins if u want it cuz it wont let me drop it i gotta call 👀

OOS II! Anyone know if more slots will open up later on? I see the next available date to be in January lol

OOS II! Anyone know if more slots will open up later on? I see the next available date to be in January lol
Also wondering the same. Looks like the date available says November dates, however when you click to schedule it is a Jan calendar, not sure if this is an error.

How long after completing the secondary application are people hearing back on average ? Completed mine earlier this week.

How long did it take to get an acceptance or rejection email? It’s been a little over two weeks since my interview, and I have not heard anything yet.

To those who have already interviewed, how was it?? I have mine 10/6 and I'm kind of freaked out as it's my first one! If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it<3

I would call the office of admissions. I had an issue with my application and I called them and left a voicemail (it was later in the day). They got back to me the next day and we’re so nice and helpful!! Also, check your portal and see if there is an update to your status!

To those who have already interviewed, how was it?? I have mine 10/6 and I'm kind of freaked out as it's my first one! If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate itQUOTE]

I absolutely loved my interview. It was very chill and conversational! Obviously they will probably have some questions they may bring up specifically about your application (one of mine was about my MCAT jump), but just doing basic interview prep helped me! I’ve interviewed prior to this doing an MMI and it was so structured that I didn’t feel the school knew me afterward. With the conversational style of ACOM’s interview, I felt I was able to show who I was better and the interviewers and I talked about things we had in common the majority of the time! Some people have also discussed having an ethical type of question in their interview, so also prepare in your interview prep how to answer one of those and you’ll do fine!

(Pssst… if you are looking for interview prep and mock interview practice, check out your school’s career center!!! Even if you’ve already graduated, they all typically help alumni out as well free of charge! Try not to use family and friends as they know your story and you need to practice telling your story to people who don’t already know you to ensure your able to accurately portray a cohesive narrative that’s easy to follow).

Reactions: 1 users
To those who have already interviewed, how was it?? I have mine 10/6 and I'm kind of freaked out as it's my first one! If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate itQUOTE]

It was excellent. Faculty obviously cares about student success both inside and outside of the classroom. They take feedback from students and implement it. Student reps were well composed, knowledgeable, and professional. Students echo top level faculty and resource support.

The interviewers you get might have different styles than listed in the interview feedback page. My interview was less conversational than others have stated, and more conversational than some others too. I think it was simply the personalities of my interviewers. I was accepted so I don’t think “conversation level” is any indication of how well you’re doing.

Do your best and that’s all you can do, no more no less so no use sweating it. Remember the interviewers are reporting back to the adcoms, so try to drive home what makes you … you.

This was a school I was not as interested in as other schools I had invites to going into the interview. Coming out, it will be very tough for me to take other acceptances over ACOM. 10/10.

Odd question but on the secondary, are there any questions besides the essay prompts? I’m just asking cause there’s sometimes a few I need to answer and I want to gather the info I need so the portal doesn’t close on me and I’m locked out of the app. I’m talking about the questions that most people just glance over and click no on.

Odd question but on the secondary, are there any questions besides the essay prompts? I’m just asking cause there’s sometimes a few I need to answer and I want to gather the info I need so the portal doesn’t close on me and I’m locked out of the app. I’m talking about the questions that most people just glance over and click no on.

I believe there is a section where you have to put in like a scanned photo of a passport/driver’s license for identification purposes within the secondary

initially got an email that I was not invited for a secondary but a week later they emailed again inviting me to completed the secondary application :unsure: has this happened to anyone? I didn’t contact anyone.

Could a current/former students help answer some of these questions?

1. Are preclinical and clinical years both P/F?
2. Are clinical rotations based on how you do from preclinical years or is it lottery?
3. How are the professors?
4. How is the prep for boards?
5. How long is dedicated time to study for boards?
6. What is the exam schedule like?
7. What is the remediation policy? Is it only one retake and if you fail another course, you repeat or are you dismissed?
8. Is the student environment competitive or chill?
9. What's your favorite thing about ACOM?
10. Are you happy?

THANK YOU!! :)

Did anybody attended in person interview? How was it? Where did you fly and where did you stay?

Did anybody attended in person interview? How was it? Where did you fly and where did you stay?

Yes. Loved it, and worth going in person imo both to see if you like the school and demonstrate you’re serious about attending. It was also very easy to make connections with faculty, students, and other candidates. I drove (a long ways but I don’t mind road trips). Stayed at the comfort inn. 6.5/10 hotel. Negatives: Had to kill a cockroach the night before my interview in my room, pool was closed, both treadmills broken. Positives: room was cleanish, decent free continental breakfast, super close to campus (this was the biggest plus as I didn’t have to worry about traffic).

I am not in driving distance and have to fly to Dothan airport. Hope I can get remote interview spot

Could a current/former students help answer some of these questions?

1. Are preclinical and clinical years both P/F?
2. Are clinical rotations based on how you do from preclinical years or is it lottery?
3. How are the professors?
4. How is the prep for boards?
5. How long is dedicated time to study for boards?
6. What is the exam schedule like?
7. What is the remediation policy? Is it only one retake and if you fail another course, you repeat or are you dismissed?
8. Is the student environment competitive or chill?
9. What's your favorite thing about ACOM?
10. Are you happy?

THANK YOU!! :)
Hey! Current third year at ACOM.

1.) Nope, both preclinical and clinical are graded on an A-B-C-F scale (10 points per letter grade, no plus/minus). Some assignments within courses, such as OSCEs and OPP Practicals, are P/F, but the courses themselves are graded.

2.) Lottery based on a ranked list of all of the sites. The only way to have a choice is to do one of the fellowship programs. There is a trading period where the school will try to swap people around, but most people end up at the site they get in the lottery.

3.) Like most schools, there's a spectrum when it comes to professor quality. The vast majority of the professors are great people, even if they might not be the best at lecturing. There are also some absolutely fantastic faculty that will do a better job preparing you for boards and clinical rotations.

4.) Again, like most schools, there will be some systems that are taught directly to boards, while others might be less board relevant. Everyone that I know used third party resources to prep for boards (Sketchy, Anki, UWorld, TrueLearn, Boards and Beyond, etc.).

5.) We finished up with systems at the end of April/beginning of May. We then had some prep work for rotations, as well as BLS/ACLS, before we got into dedicated. You're required to take practice exams (for us, the 2 truelearn self assessments and 2 COMSAEs) during the month of May/early June. Everyone takes the first 3 exams. Should you get above a 450 on the first proctored COMSAE (3rd exam total), you don't have to take the second COMSAE. If you don't get above a 450 on either COMSAE, you have to enroll in Boards Boot Camp, which will likely result in you delaying your rotations. The latest you could take boards and start on time was mid-July for us, so you could have around 10 weeks or so of dedicated, if you wanted. Most people with passing scores on the COMSAEs took their boards in June or early July.

6.) This depends on the system, but we would typically have exams every 2 to 3 weeks. The exams tend to be stacked, so you could have multiple exams in a week, followed by a couple weeks without any exams.

7.) This was changed in the last couple years. Essentially, failing one course in the first semester with >65 means you can move onto the second semester, but you have to remediate over the summer between first and second year. Failing one course in the first semester with <65 leads to repeating the year. Failing two courses in the first semester leads to dismissal. As a repeating student, I believe that you're also then on some form of academic probation, where another fail can lead to dismissal. Normally, a failure in a systems course will just be remediated with an exam. Multiple systems course failures can lead to dismissal, as well.

8.) Chill, for the most part. Most of the class is willing to share resources (class of 2025). Not too sure about the personality of the other classes.

9.) Everyone says it, but it's honestly the people. I've met some great people in my time at ACOM. The faculty, staff, and student body really all seem to have our best interests at heart. I have no regrets about my decision to attend ACOM.

10.) Definitely! Rotations have been keeping me busy so far, but I'm having a great time. It's better to be out in the hospital and feel like you can make a difference in someone's life. Never lose sight of why you decided to go to med school in the first place! It's tough, but it's very doable.

I hope this helps! To anyone in this thread, feel free to reach out any time with questions about ACOM. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
could i pm anyone about their interview experience?

For those who received an interview invite, wondering how long it took for the schedule tab to show up? Got the interview invite email earlier today, but "applicant interview" tab still hasn't showed up on the portal. Only the open house is showing up as available for register :(

Last edited:
For those who received an interview invite, wondering how long it took for the schedule tab to show up? Got the interview invite email earlier today, but "applicant interview" tab still hasn't showed up on the portal. Only the open house is showing up as available for register :(
Same here

I was able to register but everything is booked up until January. :( was anyone who recently received interview able to register for an earlier date?