2023-2024 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not heard anything at all yet? I've been completed since 9/4. Not sure if this is good or bad and if I should send an update letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question for current students: Does WVSOM offer students board prep resources (e.g., COMBANK, Pathoma, UWorld)?
I asked this during the interview and they didn’t know and told me to send an email… I haven’t. Changes year to year and the amount.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked this during the interview and they didn’t know and told me to send an email… I haven’t. Changes year to year and the amount.

Someone I know who went there told me they had Kaplan and then a stipend to purchase your own resources but that was a bit ago

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard anything at all yet? I've been completed since 9/4. Not sure if this is good or bad and if I should send an update letter.
I heard they love students who show interest - if you’re keen on going to the school, def email them!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what my chances are of being accepted if I feel like I did well on the interview? I interviewed last week and just wanna know what to expect in terms of post-interview acceptance rate.

Does anyone know what my chances are of being accepted if I feel like I did well on the interview? I interviewed last week and just wanna know what to expect in terms of post-interview acceptance rate.
They meet on Tuesdays. I had my interview on Monday and found out Wednesday. They say thats a benefit of having a Monday interview. Assuming yours wasnt last Monday.

They meet on Tuesdays. I had my interview on Monday and found out Wednesday. They say thats a benefit of having a Monday interview. Assuming yours wasnt last Monday.
Okay thank you! How long did it take to get the email after getting the call?

Okay thank you! How long did it take to get the email after getting the call?
maybe 2-3 hours. I was psyching myself out and thinking, its not official until I have it in writing.

still have not heard back from WVU, and I sent a letter of interest a few weeks back as well :/

still have not heard back from WVU, and I sent a letter of interest a few weeks back as well :/
Hi! This is for the school of WV School of Osteopathic Medicine! WVU is allopathic and will be in the thread labeled “2023/2024 West Virginia”

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance package today. Came with a shirt (very soft), a little banner, a cute sticker, and acceptance letter!

Last edited:
Another question for current students: Does WVSOM offer students board prep resources (e.g., COMBANK, Pathoma, UWorld)?
Current OMS-II at WVSOM. To answer you, kind of.... They have a kaplan Qbank but we if we want something different, we buy our own resources. They did manage to get us a significant discount on COMQUEST last year. They will make a lot of suggestions and some faculty have their own resources that they created.

Current OMS-II at WVSOM. To answer you, kind of.... They have a kaplan Qbank but we if we want something different, we buy our own resources. They did manage to get us a significant discount on COMQUEST last year. They will make a lot of suggestions and some faculty have their own resources that they created.
Thank you for your response! Do you feel like you have enough resources to succeed and be prepared for boards?

I got an II here and I am low stats. If I received an interview here does that mean they are ok with my metrics and just want to see if I am a good fit? I know the post II acceptance rate is as high as 95% but I just don't want to be a part of that 5% lol.

I got an II here and I am low stats. If I received an interview here does that mean they are ok with my metrics and just want to see if I am a good fit? I know the post II acceptance rate is as high as 95% but I just don't want to be a part of that 5% lol.
You'll be fine! Think about it this way - why would they waste their time interviewing someone if they knew that there's no chance that they would accept them? This school has such a high post-II acceptance rate, which leads me to believe that the interview is only meant to check that the student is a good (mission) fit and that they're suitable (personality-wise) for a career in medicine. Best of luck with your interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the chances are of being able to get your desired speciality here? I know they have the percentage on their website, but I’m still slightly worried. Would I essentially be most likely to get a family medicine residency if I go to this school? Or would I still have lots of opportunities for other specialities?

Thank you for your response! Do you feel like you have enough resources to succeed and be prepared for boards?
I do. Lots of the faculty will give you advice on how to use the resources. Take advice with a grain of salt because I don't think studying for boards is a "one-size-fits-all". It's all about finding your personal weaknesses and getting resources that work best for you. I didn't start using sketchy until second semester and I kick myself for just trying to memorize/ Anki.

I do. Lots of the faculty will give you advice on how to use the resources. Take advice with a grain of salt because I don't think studying for boards is a "one-size-fits-all". It's all about finding your personal weaknesses and getting resources that work best for you. I didn't start using sketchy until second semester and I kick myself for just trying to memorize/ Anki.
Are you paying for sketchy on your own? Or did the school provide discounts or did you split with other students?

Does anyone know what the chances are of being able to get your desired speciality here? I know they have the percentage on their website, but I’m still slightly worried. Would I essentially be most likely to get a family medicine residency if I go to this school? Or would I still have lots of opportunities for other specialities?
Not necessarily. Sure they have an emphasis on primary care, but this school sets their students up for success. Keep in mind things like Ortho surgery, ob/gyn are more competitive, so it may be hard but not impossible. Their 2023 match had plenty of competitive residency programs! You will have plenty of opportunities for other specialties!
They don’t chokehold you and make you go into primary care!

Can any current students comment on the curriculum Itself? Do professors teach material that is actually relevant to boards or are students expected to learn extraneous information that won’t show up on board exams?

Can any current students comment on the curriculum Itself? Do professors teach material that is actually relevant to boards or are students expected to learn extraneous information that won’t show up on board exams?

Curriculum is changing

Just received the acceptance phone call! Interviewed 2/15, LM 64. I'm definitely putting down the deposit ASAP, I'm so excited about this school and hope to meet some of you here in the fall!

Just received the acceptance phone call! Interviewed 2/15, LM 64. I'm definitely putting down the deposit ASAP, I'm so excited about this school and hope to meet some of you here in the fall!
Congratulations! I just got the acceptance call too, same interview day and LM score.

Does anyone know if the current class is full? I was offered an interview, but at this time in past SDN threads they were sending interviews out for the alternate list.

^ i also just received an II and am wondering the same thing

Are you paying for sketchy on your own? Or did the school provide discounts or did you split with other students?
Sketchy is something we buy on our own. The only thing that the school has covered so far is Kaplan, some faculty made resources and the discount (about 50% off) on COMQUEST. Which was really nice because COMQUEST is pretty much a must have during dedicated.

Does anyone know if the current class is full? I was offered an interview, but at this time in past SDN threads they were sending interviews out for the alternate list.
From what I saw in the previous threads, I believe WVSOM would mention AL in the email if they are just interviewing for waitlist.

Sketchy is something we buy on our own. The only thing that the school has covered so far is Kaplan, some faculty made resources and the discount (about 50% off) on COMQUEST. Which was really nice because COMQUEST is pretty much a must have during dedicated.
Do you feel that professors teach material that is actually relevant to boards or are students expected to learn extraneous information that won’t show up on board exams?

Edit: I know the curriculum is changing but how do you feel in your experience?

Last edited:
does anyone know if they give preference to in-person interviews vs virtual?

has anyone interviewed in person here? interviewing in-person on March 4th and a bit nervous regarding the process

Have a quick questions for students who interviewed in person here, were you guys able to get Uber or Lyft? I waited a very long time today and I’m not sure if there is no driver because it is a Sunday or it is always like this.

Have a quick questions for students who interviewed in person here, were you guys able to get Uber or Lyft? I waited a very long time today and I’m not sure if there is no driver because it is a Sunday or it is always like this.

There is like maybe 1-2 Uber drivers in town. If you absolutely can’t find someone to get you assuming you are at the airport I can come get you in like 30 minutes. I’m a current student and need to go to campus anyways

There is like maybe 1-2 Uber drivers in town. If you absolutely can’t find someone to get you assuming you are at the airport I can come get you in like 30 minutes. I’m a current student and need to go to campus anyways
Oh sorry I didn’t make it clearer! I am actually wondering if there will be any Uber taking me to the airport tomorrow. I will be interviewing in the morning but I need to catch a flight back in the afternoon. I had a really hard time finding a ride to get me from the Greenbrier airport to the hotel when I arrived here. But still I want to thank you for your generosity!

Oh sorry I didn’t make it clearer! I am actually wondering if there will be any Uber taking me to the airport tomorrow. I will be interviewing in the morning but I need to catch a flight back in the afternoon. I had a really hard time finding a ride to get me from the Greenbrier airport to the hotel when I arrived here. But still I want to thank you for your generosity!

Definitely see if someone in your interview group can send you